Author Topic: Sold a bird  (Read 187 times)

1sgtretired

• Oracle Forum Member
Sold a bird
« on: June 12, 2019, 09:59:27 AM »
This kind of started about three years ago after I had surgery to replace a blown out disk in my neck.  Absolutely the worst pain I've ever experienced leading up to the operation.  I've had my share of pain but to give you a reference, broken pelvis resulting in a full body cast for six months, several operations for cancer ( recurrence ) resulting in removal of a kidney and an aortic graph among a few other body parts, a year of chemo ( volunteered for an experimental program with new drug therapy's which are used today this was 37 years ago now ) so I've experienced pain before but nothing like this.  The pain was so bad the ambulance transferring me between hospitals pulled over to give me addition morphine the vibration was killing me..  Neck operation went pretty well but being 59 at the time recuperation took a while.  Problem was I was on so much pain medication that one day I just stopped taking it I felt good didn't think I needed it anymore.  Big mistake one night I called my daughter she's a nurse and told her I felt like I wanted to kill myself.  She said what are you doing?  I told her I just stopped taking the pain meds.  She blew up at me and said YOU CANT DO THAT, long story short it took almost three months to gradually get weaned off of them.  Sorry for the long story I know everyone has one.  But it leads up to selling the car.  While taking these meds I was beside myself everyday one of the things I was considering was selling my cars.  I didn't want my wife being stuck with them bla  bla bla.  But I wasn't in my right frame of mind at the time.  JP my buddy said don't do anything until your off that stuff good advice.
So speed up to most recent medical issue the subject of selling a car or two came up again although this time on a more rational basis.  I truly love them all but honestly find it hard to keep up with all of them although full retirement is but a year or so away which would allow for a lot more time.  I constantly have to move cars around the garage to work on them one is always under the lift and I also keep the dually in the garage, additionally the expense of registrations and insurance and the cars just sit a lot.  My red 73 TA was a beautiful car paint wise but the car had an AC system which needed work, headers and someone mangled the power steering lines to get things to fit they needed to be replaced but somewhat custom routing was needed never got around to fixing the radio and the list went on.  I planned on giving the wife a chunk of cash for all her support she actually bought me the 73 TA.  The rest of the money would be invested in the retirement fund.
I listed the car on e-bay around 6pm last Thursday evening starting with a minimum bit of 25K, helps keep people from bidding with ridiculous amounts and only serious people bid.  Within 30 minutes I had a 25K bid within the first hour $25.800 by 8pm.  Several people called me wanting to come see the car that Saturday and Sunday. One from PA. and two from NY state.  Had a dozen emails with more coming every few minutes.  Always add to the selling info the car is for sale locally for several reasons like what happened in this case.  Around 830 I returned a call from someone asking me to call.  When I dialed the number to my surprise To Restore a Muscle Car with Dave Hall came across my phone.  I thought ok he's going to try to get the car for a song.  When he answered he asked if I knew who he was.  I said of course, I've seen you at shows over the years but never actually spoke with you.  He didn't ask me much but after a few questions asked what I wanted for the car I told him and almost with no hesitation Dave said sold!  Car carrier came Friday.  Within 3 hours I sold the car and got what I wanted for it.  The wife learned the cars are desirable by a lot of people.   Dave gave me a fair price and if something should unexpectedly happen to me she would feel confident calling Dave.  Although she now knows how to list something on eBay. The photos I put on eBay had some of my other cars in the background that Dave said he would be interested in.  Of course the plan is to enjoy the cars for as long as possible.   

USAF 1st Sgt Retired

1970 RAM AIR III TA. White
1972 455 HO, Blue
1973 Formula, Functional Ram Air set up
1973 455 TA, Red
1976 400 TA sold
1978 Black W-72 TA
2006 Chevy 2500 HD Turbo Diesel
2011 3500 Chevy Turbo Diesel
2012 BMW X5

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I am who I am.........and proud of it
Re: Sold a bird
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 10:53:37 AM »
Wow, what a story.  It really is inspiring how you have endured through that amount of pain.  I've only met you once at the Nationals and would have never guessed you'd been through that with the easy going and great attitude that I witnessed.  Very cool that you know that the car went to someone who appreciates it for what it is and was willing to give you the price you wanted. 
91 Bright Red Trans AM GTA.........41,xxx original miles

"The American dream is not that every man must be level with every other man. The American dream is that every man must be free to become whatever God intends he should become."

Reagan

1sgtretired

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 11:28:02 AM »
Bill appreciate your kind remarks, I've learned over the years DON"T SWEAT what you can't control and there are always people going through worse things than we can imagine.  I also try to live each day to the fullest but without trying to add undo pressure to myself sometimes things just don't go our way.  I often see people going nuts over the smallest things and wonder how they would react in other situations. 
USAF 1st Sgt Retired

1972 455 HO, Blue
1973 455 TA, Red
1976 400 TA sold
1978 Black W-72 TA
2012 BMW X5

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I am who I am.........and proud of it
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 12:39:05 PM »
Bill appreciate your kind remarks, I've learned over the years DON"T SWEAT what you can't control and there are always people going through worse things than we can imagine.  I also try to live each day to the fullest but without trying to add undo pressure to myself sometimes things just don't go our way.  I often see people going nuts over the smallest things and wonder how they would react in other situations.

Great words to live by.
91 Bright Red Trans AM GTA.........41,xxx original miles

"The American dream is not that every man must be level with every other man. The American dream is that every man must be free to become whatever God intends he should become."

Reagan

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 01:00:03 PM »
Sometimes you just have to downsize to keep your sanity.  That’s how I felt when we sold our Buc numbers matching 73 455 4-speed last summer.  I know I will never be able to afford another one but for the most part, I’m ok with that.   With only two to keep tinkering with, I have less worries.   Congrats on your sale.
Mike (aka Yeti)

1969 Firebird 400 (non-numbers)
1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2007 F-150 Lariat 4x4 (5.4)
2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD V6
2012 Mustang

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 01:00:03 PM »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 03:29:08 PM »
Sorry to hear of all your physical ailments but it sounds like you have worked your way through things. I like your philosophy and I pretty much like to think the same way. I had a heart attack when I was about 48 or so and that changed the way I look at things. I too no longer sweat the small stuff, and try not to worry about things beyond my control. Those that are close to me will say I am about the easiest going guy they know. Glad you sold your car easily enough, and to someone that will put it back right. I know its hard to get rid of them but you will be better for it in the long run. I often see where guys have half a dozen cars and thing to myself-why? It seems like too much work to be able to keep them all up and running. At one time my brother and myself had well over 2 dozen antique motorcycles and that became too much like work. I still have 5 in the garage collecting dust that I really should be doing something with.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • You can't hit the ball if you don't swing the bat.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 10:18:02 PM »
I feel weird for saying it since I'm only 27, but I too try to not worry about small things and things beyond my(or human in general) control now that I'm older.  It's hard at times because I'm OCD and a control freak, but it's not worth stressing out over.

Anyway, if it's any consolation I think it's better to have just one or two cars you can really enjoy and everything works versus many cars that need something here or there.  Plus now you won't have the space constraints.  I keep trying to talk such into my brother that has *stops and counts* 5 automobiles, 2 motorcycles, and is buying a 3rd motorcycle...

1996 Pontiac Firebird Formula hardtop 6-speed

1sgtretired

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 06:55:31 AM »
Guys thanks for the encouragement, your comments were right on some of feeling I've experienced and I've had a lot of the thoughts you expressed.  I often gain strength from comments such as you provided and hopefully mine do the same.
USAF 1st Sgt Retired

1972 455 HO, Blue
1973 455 TA, Red
1976 400 TA sold
1978 Black W-72 TA
2012 BMW X5

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 02:19:46 PM »
Congrats, although I always wanted  to see your patriotic display in person.

Regards, Jack

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 02:19:46 PM »
You can help support TAC!