Author Topic: Because there's something wrong with me........  (Read 8661 times)

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Because there's something wrong with me........
« Reply #280 on: December 22, 2019, 08:56:33 AM »
turned out alright
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(19 years and counting but still have her)

IFLYBY

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #281 on: December 24, 2019, 09:52:11 AM »
If you still can't find the miss, try spinning it over with the valve covers off; might have a worn cam lobe
Everything is a car , was a car , or will be a car . 79 W 72 T/A--05 GTO--69 GTO Judge ( very , very sick )

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #282 on: December 25, 2019, 06:08:29 AM »
She did just fine welding, car coming along nicely.

Regards, Jack

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #283 on: December 25, 2019, 07:20:14 AM »
If you still can't find the miss, try spinning it over with the valve covers off; might have a worn cam lobe

The miss is actually gone (well, the one throwing a code, anyway).  Replacing all 3 ignition coils fixed that problem.

The whole darn engine needs to come out and be refreshed.  By refreshed, I mean all new gaskets.
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #284 on: December 25, 2019, 11:19:28 AM »
By refreshed I thought you ment a new crate engine. :grin:
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

« Reply #284 on: December 25, 2019, 11:19:28 AM »

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #285 on: December 25, 2019, 09:27:55 PM »
By refreshed I thought you ment a new crate engine. :grin:

Yeah, I'll just pull $10K out my arse for a 2020 6.6L.  Have to admit, that would be one Hell of a ride.

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #286 on: December 26, 2019, 10:28:45 AM »
I was thinking more of what's a long block 3.8 go for?

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #287 on: January 01, 2020, 08:06:02 AM »
I was thinking more of what's a long block 3.8 go for?

So, of course I had to look it up.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vre-db61/overview/year/1998/make/pontiac/model/firebird

Not a bad price, really, considering core charge and shipping.  I don't think originality is a concern, seeing as how I don't intend to ever sell.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #288 on: January 11, 2020, 08:33:24 PM »
Gents....  I got sick of having no heat, the hard starts, less than desirable gas mileage a check engine light that's irking me, and huge oil spots everywhere I park.

It's time to dig and replace the intake manifold gasket, head gaskets, and the oil pan gasket.  Why the head gaskets?  Well, even though it normally has no heat, if you let it idle long enough, the temperature gauge will start to climb past 220.  Not good.  Still no heat at that point, either.  Now, if I rev the Hell out of the engine while it's climbing past 220, I'll get lukewarm heat and the temp gauge will start to settle down. 

Gotta start somewhere.  I've already documented tearing down many things above the valve covers.  Plus the internet is FULL of videos of the same crap, so I'll start with the intake manifold removal (which wasn't nearly as hard as some idiots made it out to be).

The upper intake comes off with three 5/16ths bolts on either side, one up by the throttle body, one behind the intake  on the driver side, and then 2 additional 3/8ths bolts on the drivers side.  Oh and it's necessary to remove the bottom bolt on the thermostat housing.

Then, the upper intake lifts right off.

Here's the bottom.  The gasket didn't come off with it, but you all can see some nastiness up by the thermostat housing.

The lower intake manifold (or plenum) is coming off next.  I don't use my air ratchet much, but I thought it would speed things up here.

I also tried to save that gasket.  Yeah, it shattered as soon as I touched it.  That, however, also revealed two other bolts that I had to remove.

Ah yes, hidden bolts in places that Service Manuals don't tell you about.

Then, of course, there's the ones that are so caked in dirt that they are invisible.  Took me awhile to find the last one, but after that, the lower intake lifted off with minimal resistance.

That gasket is DONE for.

The rocker arm bolts are next.  My 3/8th's socket is getting a workout tonight, lol.

Both sides are done and I matched up the rocker arms with the push rods because they'll be going in the same place that they came from.

Last, and most definitely not least, the eight head bolts on each head.  There's four long bolts under the valve cover and then four short bolts on the block side of the head.  They are only 9/16ths, which surprised me.  Also, I had taken the exhaust manifolds off previously.  That made matters MUCH easier.

As I pulled the head off, I didn't know what to expect.  I've done head gaskets before, but it's been awhile.  They aren't necessarily blown, but definitely blocked.  This does explain my heat issues.

Here's a quick shot of the passenger side cylinders.  The pistons are not too darned bad at all, but the cylinder walls are too shiny.  Shouldn't there be some some crosshatching?  Also, there's virtually NO wear at the top of the cylinder.  That's good.  This 3800 II has 165K beat-to-Hell miles on it.  It's lucky to have survived the previous owner.   

Now, it's time to clean everything and put it all back together.  Can't wait.......

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #289 on: January 11, 2020, 08:45:37 PM »
I bet you were relieved to see the cylinders in such good shape.  I'm sure after seeing all of your previous work you'll have this cleaned up and running like new in no time!

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #290 on: January 11, 2020, 11:19:04 PM »
cool stuff...considering the amount of miles on it, it looks decent for sure!!
Charlie

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #291 on: January 12, 2020, 06:26:37 AM »
As opposed to what?  Shouldn't there be crosshatching in the cylinders?  Whatever. 

My plans for today are to take both intakes and both cylinder heads to the car wash.  Yeah, I could throw them all in my parts washer, but that will take forever.

Oh and I broke 2 sensors in the process.  The oil level sensor and the engine temperature sensor.  I'll probably just source those from a junkyard.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #292 on: January 13, 2020, 12:01:10 PM »
I know I've seen a few at various salvage yards, but have you thought about one of those 3800 superchargers? While you have the intake off anyway.

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 12.8" Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, 17" Aluminum Rims, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro with 6?.?0?  5.3 w/ Z06 cam/T56
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #293 on: January 13, 2020, 09:03:36 PM »
I know I've seen a few at various salvage yards, but have you thought about one of those 3800 superchargers? While you have the intake off anyway.

I have thought about that a few times.  Don't tempt me, as it may yet one day happen  :twisted:

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #294 on: January 14, 2020, 05:53:14 PM »
As opposed to what?  Shouldn't there be crosshatching in the cylinders? 

Yeah the cross hatch pattern would be present if there were a lot less miles on it but this has lots of miles, so considering that and there's no scoring, gouges, or anything else and the cylinders seem to have uniform wear, then imo, it's in pretty good condition.

could be way worse given the miles!!

now as far as the supercharger idea...hmmm...I like it!!
Charlie

« Reply #294 on: January 14, 2020, 05:53:14 PM »

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #295 on: January 14, 2020, 08:52:15 PM »
As opposed to what?  Shouldn't there be crosshatching in the cylinders? 

Yeah the cross hatch pattern would be present if there were a lot less miles on it but this has lots of miles, so considering that and there's no scoring, gouges, or anything else and the cylinders seem to have uniform wear, then imo, it's in pretty good condition.

could be way worse given the miles!!

now as far as the supercharger idea...hmmm...I like it!!

A guy at work told me the exact same thing about the cylinder walls. 

Now, as for the supercharger idea:  Ask 10 different people, get 10 different answers on what will and will not work, and why.  Some say there's a kit, some say there isn't. 

There is, somewhere out there in the internet, a reference page on the two different S/C's used and what is supposed to be interchangeable.  It's A LOT of research, time, money, and work. 

Right now, I need to just fix what's broken and get it back on the road.  I've been making decent progress, and I will post pics of everything, but right now I need to move forward and get the repairs done.

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #296 on: January 15, 2020, 08:11:47 PM »
Yeah, back together and running is far more important right now!!
Charlie

« Reply #296 on: January 15, 2020, 08:11:47 PM »
You can help support TAC!