Author Topic: SEM Custom Color Mixing and Original GM Hobnail & other GM Interior Material.  (Read 252 times)

79Noc4sp

• Active Forum Member
After reading every post/article I could find on the subject and finally narrowing it down to SEM #1610 as being the closest match for GM Light Blue 24. I got this info from member timfarn. I tried a company Timfarn had used before but the number just rang and rang, no one ever picked up and it never went to voicemail. I checked locally to try and find someone that might mix up a custom color for me, after trying many different avenues around Kansas City with no luck, I moved on to a national search.

I started with calling SEM 800 number as well as sending them an email. My first call ended with the person sending me to a voice mail, I checked my email and had already got a response from SEM, unfortunately they gave me a number of companies around Kansas City that I had already contacted and none of those companies were helpful at all. I called back to SEM and spoke with a gentleman named Israel, he started saying what the email I had received had said, I told him I had already tried those places and really needed him to come through for me. He ended up giving me the mid-western sales rep, Randy.

I called Randy and told him what I had been through trying to find someone to mix up the Color Coat #1610 paint for me with no luck. He gave me a company in in Texas to call, when I called them they acted like they had no idea what I was even talking about. I texted Randy again and after about 10 minutes he texted back another place to try. At this point I'm starting to think this isn't going to happen, then I get a text from Nathan, his company is Nathan Isaac's American Trim & Upholstery Supply Tulsa, OK 74115 918-834-6691. He tells me he hasn't mixed up any SEM Color Coat in a long time. He checked and he had unopened cans of the colors needed to make the color I was looking for.

So if you are looking for Light Blue GM 24 or SEM Color Coat #1610 you might want to get some while it's available. He also has original Hobnail material and a large inventory of GM interior materials.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 12:00:08 PM by 79Noc4sp »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
No way. I wonder if he has black hobnail? In would like to have some so if/when I change out my stock seats I can have the new ones (from another car that recline and have some bolsters) recovered with some hobnail inserts.

It's cool you found this guy. You were pretty determined.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

79Noc4sp

• Active Forum Member
No way. I wonder if he has black hobnail? In would like to have some so if/when I change out my stock seats I can have the new ones (from another car that recline and have some bolsters) recovered with some hobnail inserts.

It's cool you found this guy. You were pretty determined.

FormTA, yeah I got lucky. Nathan is a great guy, not only did he have the attitude that he would do what ever he had to do to get the job done. He is a down to earth guy with a great personality. In today's world, I'm so sick of people always acting like they are doing you a favor when you're the one trying to give them business. Then you have the one's that act like you are bothering them because they are in the middle of something else.

Maybe I'm becoming that cynical old man (55)  :D I was in sales my entire life and I can't imagine acting the way some of today's people act, so self involved. Anyway enough of my little rant. I got a hold of Nathan late Thursday (5pm) and we text back and forth until 6pm. He told me to call him Friday morning when I was up and going. I texted him at 10am and he had everything done around 1pm and had it shipped out later that day.

He said he has a warehouse full of material and needed a couple days to put together the different material he thought might be of interest to our group along with other possible material for other GM cars such as the 1982 Camaro Recaro inserts. When I talk with him Monday, I will bring up the Black Hobnail you mentioned. Hopefully I will be making a post with multiple pictures of the different materials he has available.

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
his company is Nathan Isaac's American Trim & Upholstery Supply Tulsa, OK 74115 918-834-669.

Thanks for reporting your research. The phone number you provided is a little short though  :smile: .
Steve F.

79Noc4sp

• Active Forum Member
his company is Nathan Isaac's American Trim & Upholstery Supply Tulsa, OK 74115 918-834-669.

Thanks for reporting your research. The phone number you provided is a little short though  :smile: .

:) 918-834-6691. Yeah, I hope this might help a few people, timfarn was kind enough to take his time to help me so hopefully I can help someone with this info. Also help Nathan sell some stuff as well.

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
Thanks!
Steve F.

timfarn

• Active Forum Member
Glad to hear you got to a supplier who would mix!  I makes me think about ordering some product for touch-up to have on hand.

79Noc4sp

• Active Forum Member
Glad to hear you got to a supplier who would mix!  I makes me think about ordering some product for touch-up to have on hand.

Nathan said he hasn't had any request in a long time and he isn't even aware of anyone else still mixing custom colors. When I called SEM the first thing that they said was we don't know of anyone doing mixes. Then I pushed and pushed again and that's how I got Randy's (Midwest Rep) number.

I'm just happy I found someone, it's worth having a little on hand. He'll mix up a pint if that's all you want. Thanks again timfarn, if it wasn't for you giving me something to go with, it never would have happened.

timfarn

• Active Forum Member
I guess I got lucky with another shop a couple of years ago with an employee who would still mix.  Maybe this is how it was sourcing Model T paint circa 1959?  Oh, wait, one color - black!  :-D

martblue78ta

• Active Forum Member
darn, this is really the only way to get the right color to restore a light blue interior? I'm not feeling so enthusiastic now

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
darn, this is really the only way to get the right color to restore a light blue interior? I'm not feeling so enthusiastic now

If all you need to do is re-color your plastics, you could take one of your plastic panels to an auto paint and body supply store, like a PPG auto paint store, and they can match and mix some paint for use on plastics. The back side of your plastic panels should have good, unfaded blue color on them, so you can get a good color match that way.
Steve F.