Author Topic: Dome lamp  (Read 370 times)

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
Dome lamp
« on: May 12, 2019, 07:55:43 AM »
For something so simple, most are horrible quality. Does anyone have good results with theirs and what brand was it? It seems there's several brands all with variations when there really doesn't need to be. I have purchased a few sets over the years, can't recall which without checking but they were all terrible for the horrific price. Bases were often warped, chromed too far into where contacts mount, lenses that simply fall out because the mounting lugs don't reach the sides! Let me know what you have that seemed ok, since I'm paying more than the value in shipping, I don't want another dud!

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Dome lamp
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 07:19:39 AM »
I got mine from Pete at fbody a few years ago. I agree they are cheaply made. Mine was fine, although when it stopped working I started checking my wiring and door switch to figure out what the  heck was going on only to find the bulb fell out! The clips that hold the bulb in place are questionable at best. It has only fallen out once though. The chrome seems good and the plastic lense was decent.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 07:57:42 AM »
I prefer using a good used original dome map light that was an option on these and other GM cars from the early 70's to early 80's. I've installed them in 2 of my cars. They can be found in excellent condition, with some wire length for easy connection to existing wires. Having an all metal housing and base, there's no warping problem, and many still have excellent chrome and lens. If you have already installed a standard round light, you might have a round impression in your headliner. This light might not cover the impression front to back. The chrome housing on this light measures 3-1/8" front to back, so you could check to see if it would cover. If it doesn't cover, you might be able to massage the impression out with a little heat, like from a hair dryer.

Here's a link to an example on eBay:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-1981-Camaro-Z28-Firebird-Trans-Am-GTO-Deluxe-dome-light/264319685110?hash=item3d8aae51f6%3Ag%3ANe0AAOSw2BNcmXs0&LH_ItemCondition=4

ttop trim i by grand73am, on Flickr

DOME-MAP LAMP INSTALL ILLUSTRATION by grand73am, on Flickr
Steve F.

Warren Seale

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 10:56:49 AM »
There had to be millions of those map lights made shown above.  Just about all of the car manufacturers used them as an optional dome light during that time.  They should be easy to find and reasonably priced.
79 T/A,WS6,403,A3
96 T/A,WS6(#1344),M6
72 442,W30,A3
96 Vette Grand Sport convertible,F45,LT4,M6
06 Vette convertible,Z51,M6

81Blackbird

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 11:34:05 AM »
Changed mine out a few years ago.  Less than $80 on e-bay.  Also replaced the bulb with an LED.  More light, less power and mostly low heat that doesn't brown the cover.  All you have to do is change the pin locations.  I looked and didn't see an indention left by the round dome light.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 11:34:05 AM »

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 11:36:24 AM »
There had to be millions of those map lights made shown above.  Just about all of the car manufacturers used them as an optional dome light during that time.  They should be easy to find and reasonably priced.

True. But I suggest getting the GM one. I've seen ones for Ford products, which are similar, but the style is a little different, so don't look quite right in a GM car. Chrysler must have had them too, but I don't remember looking at one, so can't say about them.
Steve F.

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 01:01:27 PM »
I got mine from Pete at fbody a few years ago. I agree they are cheaply made. Mine was fine, although when it stopped working I started checking my wiring and door switch to figure out what the  heck was going on only to find the bulb fell out! The clips that hold the bulb in place are questionable at best. It has only fallen out once though. The chrome seems good and the plastic lense was decent.

+1.  I have the same one.  Last week my bulb popped out as well.  The clips barely keep the bulb in - almost like they weren't meant to hold this type of bulb. 

Grand73Am thanks for suggesting the alternative option. 
Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

airpirate

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 06:20:50 PM »
I replaced mine about two years ago, classic industries wanted $40 bucks, I bought one off E bay for $9, fits great. sorry I can't remember the manufacturer.

78 TA 6.6 W72 WS6
10 Land Rover
08 Dodge Ram
15 Ford Edge
03 Indian Motorcycle

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 03:48:35 AM »
I already have a NOS deluxe lamp here, no need to look for one, but I don't want to use it either.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 07:42:55 PM »
It's hard to tell the difference with many dome lights being sold, many don't disclose the actual brand, or claim it is their own brand which doesn't exist. About the only way is to see if the terminal area is simply masked for chroming, as has a separate insulated insert. I saw a new style a few night back where the entire centre globe area appeared to be a separate piece glued into the chrome surround.

This Inline Tube version has the separate inserts.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/69-76-GM-Models-Roof-Headliner-Round-Dome-Light-Lamp-Lens-Base-Interior-2pc-Kit/201942930787?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I assumed my current lamp was by OER as that's what is stocked locally, but pics also show OER with separate inserts. Mine simply has the area masked for chroming, possibly an improved production run. But all the lenses look the same, tiny lugs that barely poke out enough to touch the inner walls, let alone secure in the slots.

Has anyone tried the Inline Tube or OER versions recently? I'm not sure if they are one and the same. I expect my current base may be a touch large as tried a few lenses and they all seem the same, from different brands, possibly are the same. A previous one I used had patches of clear tape to build up that area slightly. I might try soaking one in ht water, it seems slightly out of round now from being jammed into place so it didn't fall out. Perhaps something heavy on the centre will flex the diameter. Or not.

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 07:42:55 PM »
You can help support TAC!