Author Topic: Restoring window tracks  (Read 346 times)

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
Restoring window tracks
« on: April 22, 2019, 12:06:55 AM »
Has anyone restored their door window channel tracks? I've had a spare set replated and am looking at replacing the glass guide fuzzy with some flock strip but instead of being riveted on, I'm looking at small lock nuts and bolts uses in RC cars.

And now that I've looked at a few ideas online, I've seen that half of the door channels are now made again, including the guide strip. Other shops are having a clearance sale of them and not to restock, but have used...if that says something about the new pieces.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Restoring window tracks
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 04:55:28 PM »
I took mine completely apart, cleaned everything, lubed and put things back together along with new glass. I just bought new guides with the fuzz stuff, as well as new rollers. Getting ready to do the same all over again on another set of doors.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 05:08:54 PM »
From memory it's the front upright channel that has the small guide on the side for the window glass when partially down, with riveted fuzz.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 07:02:05 AM »
I can check today, but I think you are correct, the front has the fuzzy, the back piece is a clip to hold the door panel.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 07:04:58 AM »
I confirmed it earlier when drilling some old guide rivets out to remove. I'm not talking about the 3 adjustable glass and door trim blocks, the vertical channels.

Here's the repro, I'm talking about the little tab facing the other way with bristle fuzz on it, on the lower piece.
Needless to say, I can restore original pieces for less, and possibly better than the repros. That's the only 3 pieces they did per side, not the short piece or the glass mounting channel.

https://www.autopartsdb.net/assets/images/ProductImg/1/14967.JPG
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 07:07:26 AM by 75Bird400 »

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 07:04:58 AM »

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 05:10:32 AM »
Old post, a few pics to add.

Here's the original front window channel fuzzy guides in my doors, completely worn through just like the typical door window blocks.

It isn't clear in this view, the glass moves on and off the guides as it goes up and down. As the window drops and loses contact with the lead guide block, where fitted, the channel guide then becomes the lead guide and has some flex to it.

When removed, the fuzzy material was worn off the centre and only the hard backing remained, but still keeping away from the metal bracket.

Firebird RH door glass front channel guide by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Firebird RH window front channel guide worn (1) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Early vs Late channels. Not sure if this was year related or supplier, my 78 channels along with spares were one piece, the skinny 2-piece was off an 80/81.

Firebird door window channel early late guide styles (1) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

A tested a few variations, only took pics of two. Regardless, the retainers are below the contact area. Here's a section of felt compared to an offcut of bailey channel. Both would have worked well, allowed a certain amount of compression if needed and not scratched glass.

Firebird window channel guide tests (9) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Firebird window channel guide tests (13) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Firebird window channel guide tests (11) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Nexus

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 12:33:31 PM »
Thanks for this...reminds me of things I need to do to mine!!
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(18 years and counting but still have her)

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 12:33:31 PM »
You can help support TAC!