Author Topic: Still tossing around engine choices  (Read 878 times)

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
Still tossing around engine choices
« on: April 20, 2019, 12:25:00 PM »
I'm nowhere near ready yet to worry about an engine which is a good thing, because I'm having difficulty choosing which way to go. I just like to have things planned out in advance.  I have several options on the table. The goal is an honest 500hp flywheel and 20+ mpg on the highway and good street manners. There are 3 options under consideration.

Option 1) I already have a 4-bolt 350 SBC which is tired but very much rebuildable. The idea would be to punch it out and stroke it with new internals to a 383. Alumn heads and a lumpy cam would round out the build. This is the least invasive option since it already fits and all of the accessories are all there and fit perfectly with no mods required. The drawback is having to run a premium gas and hot cam with the associated issues in street driveability. (I did something similar to this with my old 74 TA a bunch of years ago. The Poncho 400 was swapped for a built 350 SBC and a Muncie 4-speed. It was a screamer, but the mileage was awful -- 15mpg if you were lucky.)

Option 2) LS 6.0 swap (LQ4 or LY6). The LS could easily make the power and mileage targets. But it's the most complicated swap and would require a lot of rework to get it to fit and run.

Option 3) BBC (either 427 or 454). There's no replacement for displacement. Achieving 500hp would be trivial for this without resorting to super high compression and high duration cams running on aviation fuel. As such, this offers the desired hp and driveability in a package that would mostly drop straight in without a lot of fuss. But these old school motors are not known for their fuel economy. This route would likely get an upgrade to its internals and a CR boost to around 10:1 with a moderate cam and modern alumn heads. Today, the stars are leaning towards the BBC with a modern EFI conversion and a 6-speed Tremec. But I don't have any experience with this combo in a 2nd gen f-body. So I don't know if it will meet the fuel economy objective.

This project will likely never see the 1/4 mile strip. The goal is a fun street car with good manners. So building a motor that wants to run 6500+ rpm all the time is not really desirable. For example, I know a BBC can make well over 650HP with the right cam and heads. But I would likely opt to detune it with a milder cam to gain good low-end performance which is more usable on the street.

Comments and opinions are welcome.

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
Re: Still tossing around engine choices
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 04:52:18 PM »
What car is it going in?
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 06:26:32 PM »
79 TA with T56 and probably 3.08 rear gears.

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 06:34:13 PM »
20+ mpg is tough with any of the options.

Regards, Jack

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 06:43:47 PM »
Out of those options I'd go LS but try to get an F body one. Mine dropped right in using Dirty Dingo mount.  I bought a near perfect 98 trans am and sold off the parts I didn't need for more that paid for the car. I think  I was lucky though.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 06:43:47 PM »

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 06:44:57 PM »
I should clarify that its 20+ highway. I know doing better than 20 city would be very difficult.

silver78

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 08:40:04 PM »
With your hp and mpg requirements the efficiency of the LS motor design is the best choice. But even then you may not get that mpg number.   My 6.0 6 speed auto vette gets 26-28 mpg at 75-80 mph buuuuut it's only in the 400hp range too.
MY BUILD THREAD:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=41850.0

Previous builds:
65 Galaxie sold
67 camaro RS sold
68 camaro RS sold
69 camaro sold
72 Nova SS
81 T/A 4 spd sold
86 IROC sold
88 Formula 350 sold
92 Z-28 sold
93 9C1 Caprice sold
94 Impala SS sold

oldskool

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 08:58:54 PM »
I vote for Pontiac power, which will not surprise anybody here.

I would never consider for a minute building a '79 Bird with anything but Pontiac power.

I'm an old school Pontiac freek. And too old now to ever change. I think guys who want Chevy power should buy a Chevy body to put it in, and sell the 2nd gen Bird to somebody who'll use Pontiac power.

I understand that my opinion is not shared by all, especially those younger than me, who didn't grow up driving & racing Pontiacs. To me, Chevy was the competition. MOST of the cars at all the races we entered were Chevy powered. Pontiacs that I built were usually the only Pontiac powered cars entered. And we won lots of those races.

I'll stop my rant now & go ahead & quote what many on these forums say, "It's your car & your money, so build it the way you want it". 

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 09:05:12 PM »
The problem is the world moved on, and Pontiac stopped building engines, so a lot of good alternatives are not going to be Pontiac.
Having said that I can understand the LS swap, I can't understand either of the others. Unless your idea of building an engine is ordering a crate-engine online, which obviously is rich in Chevs and would explain that direction, rather than the equivalent.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 09:08:49 PM by Aus78Formula »

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 09:32:31 PM »
The problem is the world moved on, and Pontiac stopped building engines, so a lot of good alternatives are not going to be Pontiac.
Having said that I can understand the LS swap, I can't understand either of the others. Unless your idea of building an engine is ordering a crate-engine online, which obviously is rich in Chevs and would explain that direction, rather than the equivalent.

The SBC and the BBC have the advantage of being drop-in replacements. I know that the LS is known for its power w/ efficiency. But much of that has to do with the modern induction system which I think can be largely replicated in the older SBC and BBC with upgrades. The LS does have the edge in durability, plus its already built with EFI. However, I also know the LS is a tight fit and has some clearance issues in the 2nd gens.

oldskool

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 11:01:38 PM »
"...Pontiac stopped building engines..."

That is definitely NOT a good excuse to not use Pontiac power.

There are more Pontiac performance parts available now than ever before.

You can build a "Pontiac" engine now without using a single GM part. You can go well over 500 cubes, if you'd like. And, if you don't like a carb, you can go the other way. Just don't see why any real Pontiac guy would dismiss using a Pontiac engine, in favor of a Chevy engine, in a 2nd gen Bird. 

But, nowadays there are lots of Chevy guys who just like the looks of the Bird bodies better.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 11:05:38 PM by oldskool »

Maxthe222

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 06:00:37 AM »
Reliability? Efficiency? Horsepower-y? Sounds like an LS! Still have my parent's 2001 V8 LS Holden kicking hard! 50 years of GM development lead up to it, so it's gotta be good right?

Oh and, I do also agree with oldskool, I'm not a fan of seeing late second gens down here in Australia with bodgy backyard built chevs, and makes it even worse to see people selling/throwin' away their solid 400/403 blocks to throw in a super mild 350 with 300 hp because they want a "reliable street block". Pssshawww. I agree completely. If it helps your age argument, i'm 21   :-P

1979 T/A Y84 WS6
1979 F/A W72 WS6
1971 Formula 400 4-Speed

silver78

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 06:57:45 AM »
If the car is not going to be used in any competition racing why is 500hp needed?
 I think an honest 375-400 hp motor of any type would be more cost effective,  capable of your mpg goal, daily driver reliable and opens more options of sbc,bbc, Pontiac, LS or even a smaller displacement say 3.8 liter with a turbo.
In the end the budget will ultimately decide. Good luck with your build I'm sure we all look forward to following it.

Previous builds:
65 Galaxie sold
67 camaro RS sold
68 camaro RS sold
69 camaro sold
72 Nova SS
81 T/A 4 spd sold
86 IROC sold
88 Formula 350 sold
92 Z-28 sold
93 9C1 Caprice sold
94 Impala SS sold

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 09:31:45 AM »
I'm not going to jump in on the "rabbit season/duck season" thing about engine brands but I'm always curious about why people get concerned about mileage on these old cars that are primarily used as hot rod sunny day drivers.

I know there's a few who daily drive classics but most don't so IMO the difference in mileage doesn't really justify the extra time, hassles, and expense of going with a modern engine for MOST of us. And yes I understand the whole cool wow factor and higher power levels possible going modern but if mileage is a primary incentive it just doesn't work. Most classics get driven less than 4000 miles a year so I'll use that as an example with gas being 3.00 a gallon. If you drive yours more or less than 4000 and/or your gas cost is much different calculate your own expenses. I used 25 miles per gallon but that's kinda high for what most people average going modern, and yes I know on a highway trip trying to hypermile you might be able to get more. Also note that switching to an overdrive transmission is usually a part of what increases mileage going modern.

4000 miles at 15 miles per gallon = 266 gallons costing $790.00.
4000 miles at 25 miles per gallon = 160 gallons costing $480.00.
                                                                                -----------
So the gas savings per year would come to                 $310.00  which isn't a lot of money considering the expense to save that much.

Curious about the rabbit/duck season reference? https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+rabbit+season+duck+season&view=detail&mid=7FAC1D78FE48109C11187FAC1D78FE48109C1118&FORM=VIRE

John Paige
Lab-14.com

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 01:13:47 PM »
Fuel economy is somewhat important to me. The goal is to produce a healthy road trip car. Fetching groceries is not really in its itinerary.

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 01:13:47 PM »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2019, 03:34:25 PM »
I'll throw in the unconventional option, why not a LT-1/4?  It's a direct bolt in for the SBC, because it is one, and then you can get your power and mileage requirements albeit you'd have to stroke it out to a 383 to reach the power level in what most would consider a street-able package.  It already has aluminum heads, a hydraulic roller cam setup, and high compression so it'd be a better starting point than the gen I SBC, and shouldn't be that hard to find one for next to nothing since they don't get the love that the LS does.  The only thing would be doing the wiring and ECU, or you can go carburetor with a MSD box since it's not like that's not been done before either.  I'm all for keeping originality and what not, but it's not like the later second gens didn't come with Chevrolet engines and in '80-81 the best option was the Chevrolet 305 backed by a 4-speed since you could toss the 305 for a 350(383)/400 SBC in a weekend.

phil400

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 03:35:49 PM »
If the car is not going to be used in any competition racing why is 500hp needed?
 I think an honest 375-400 hp motor of any type would be more cost effective,  capable of your mpg goal, daily driver reliable and opens more options of sbc,bbc, Pontiac, LS or even a smaller displacement say 3.8 liter with a turbo.
In the end the budget will ultimately decide. Good luck with your build I'm sure we all look forward to following it.

Couldn't agree more since the car is already set up for sbc I'd go 383. Hands down, most cost effective way to go.

That said I run pure Pontiac, 4 speed no OD, Q-jet, have squeezed out 17mpg if I keep my foot out of it, get alittle more when I head south of the border, I'm sure fuel is better there.
78 T/A 4 speed, Marty Blue, original paint, match #s mine since ‘99, 3rd & final owner as long as I'm alive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbM_iVhwVQc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgqYOsWTJsE
98 Ford Ranger flare side 2.5L 5speed "old reliable" 187k and still going
77 T/A sold
85 Monte Carlo SS sold
83 Mustang GT sold
“Let me tell you what Melba toast is packing”

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2019, 06:54:52 PM »
There's a reason why many are driven short distances, they simply can't go any further. That suits some that just want to blast around the street a few times and make a scene. But if the engine was suddenly more efficient, they may contemplate going for a cruise instead. Sometimes you decide on how you use it, sometimes it decides.

phil400

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2019, 07:48:59 PM »
There's a reason why many are driven short distances, they simply can't go any further. That suits some that just want to blast around the street a few times and make a scene. But if the engine was suddenly more efficient, they may contemplate going for a cruise instead. Sometimes you decide on how you use it, sometimes it decides.

I don't understand this comment. I road trip my car, and cars were driven long distance years and years before Fuel injection or OD transmissions existed. People who don't drive their old cars long distance make that choice.
78 T/A 4 speed, Marty Blue, original paint, match #s mine since ‘99, 3rd & final owner as long as I'm alive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbM_iVhwVQc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgqYOsWTJsE
98 Ford Ranger flare side 2.5L 5speed "old reliable" 187k and still going
77 T/A sold
85 Monte Carlo SS sold
83 Mustang GT sold
“Let me tell you what Melba toast is packing”

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2019, 08:18:08 PM »
I have family that if I wanted to drive to visit would represent a 1200 mile round trip. Driving that while making 14 mpg gets a little pricey before too long.

I'm starting to reconsider the 383 stroker option again. It won't meet the desired 500hp target (which is largely arbitrary). But it can be made to do 420hp easy enough and I already have a suitable block w/ accessories as a starting point.

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2019, 08:25:01 PM »

I drove a 27 year old car to Charlotte and back this week and I was plenty concerned.  Even in a car that will cruise all day at high speed,  I know my old fuel injected cars are going to lose a capacitor one of these days.  I didn’t bring along my special TFI module wrench either.  FWIW
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2019, 09:55:11 PM »
I have total faith in my '96 that's going on 23 years old now, of course it's also low miles(for the year, under 120K) and a manual transmission behind an engine that was mostly unchanged since 1955.  I think it just depends, an old car can be just as reliable as it was(if not more so in some cases) than the day it was new if everything has been gone through and checked.  I'd trust a 40 year old car with a manual that had everything checked more than the newest car with an automatic, but maybe that's just me and my huge distrust of any automatic.

Some food for thought, even if you don't go with a LT-1 base most should carry over in principle to a gen I SBC: http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1602-how-to-build-a-475-horsepower-lt4-powerhouse-engine-part-1/
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1603-how-to-build-a-475-horsepower-lt4-powerhouse-engine-part-2/
Based on that I don't see why you couldn't get 400-450 out of a similarly set up gen I 383.

Oh well, just saw where you said 420 would be obtainable.  But yeah, in your situation staying with a SBC layout would be easiest for sure and probably the cheapest too.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 10:11:49 PM by Box »

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2019, 10:08:51 AM »
 "fun street car with good manners" Sounds more like you meant "fun driver with good manners" 

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2019, 02:00:43 PM »
"fun street car with good manners" Sounds more like you meant "fun driver with good manners"

Not sure I understand what you're saying. But my 74 TA had a built up 350 SBC swap in it. It was around 375HP and was an absolute blast to drive with the 4-speed I put in as part of the swap. But it was also a comfortable cruiser. The two complaints I had was the poor gas mileage and the unusually heavy clutch pedal which made getting caught in stop/go traffic a bit of a chore.

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2019, 02:23:46 PM »
If it was me, I would favor fun over setting a big hp target arbritrarily.  I would think with 375 hp SBC you wouldn't really need a heavy clutch.  These days, you can get more gears.  6 is plenty.  You might say a good transmission is expensive, but big hp targets are expensive too.

As an aside, Brian and I went to the 55th anniversary mustang show last Wednesday.  It is very common now to see 65-66 mustangs with sanden a/c compressors and overdrive.  I mean a lot of them.  Does my heart good to know that somebody said "I want to enjoy this thing on the road".

So I can only hope that will catch on everywhere. 
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

silver78

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2019, 03:59:14 PM »

Not sure I understand what you're saying. But my 74 TA had a built up 350 SBC swap in it. It was around 375HP and was an absolute blast to drive with the 4-speed I put in as part of the swap. But it was also a comfortable cruiser. The two complaints I had was the poor gas mileage and the unusually heavy clutch pedal which made getting caught in stop/go traffic a bit of a chore.
A hydraulic clutch and 5 or 6 speed attached to a 383 would be a nice combo.  The clutch won't wear out your leg and the overdrive will get ya closer to your 20 mpg highway goals. Or go with a 6 speed auto $$.
One other research idea. Hit the local shows and cruises. Ask other car  owners about their drivetrain choices and real world experiences.  I do it all the time.

Previous builds:
65 Galaxie sold
67 camaro RS sold
68 camaro RS sold
69 camaro sold
72 Nova SS
81 T/A 4 spd sold
86 IROC sold
88 Formula 350 sold
92 Z-28 sold
93 9C1 Caprice sold
94 Impala SS sold

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2019, 05:02:39 PM »
I definitely want a 6-speed. The T-56 uses a hydraulic clutch so going hydraulic is part of the deal. It also makes fitting headers a lot easier on the driver's side. The 4-speed conversion I did in the 74 had a heavy clutch because at the time I just used the pressure plate the speed shop guy sold me. (Long time ago.) It was really stiff.

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2019, 05:43:46 PM »
Many will want the latest and greatest engine that they don’t have.  Since the new LT engines are a few years old, that is replacing the LS craze to a degree.  Easiest is a carbureted engine and tuning IMO.  I was on the efi bandwagon and have since switched back to chasing a carbureted engine.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2019, 11:44:46 PM »
Many will want the latest and greatest engine that they don’t have.  Since the new LT engines are a few years old, that is replacing the LS craze to a degree.  Easiest is a carbureted engine and tuning IMO.  I was on the efi bandwagon and have since switched back to chasing a carbureted engine.
I've reached the same point, no point in chasing the latest and greatest unless your pocketbook can go the distance without missing a beat.  Sometimes the best option is what you already have, and if it's not then maybe the best option is another car entirely.  Hey if he wants good economy with a 6-speed he should just buy my Formula so then I can buy a Miata, then we all win.

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
      • Scarebird Classic Brakes
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2019, 12:10:01 AM »
LS3 crate engine hands down.

You will be 10 big down when done but will get the 500 horse and 20+ mpg.

One thing that is not mentioned often is the light weight and drivability of the LS powerplants: my 79 starts every time and only weighs 3.340 pounds with a TKO and AC.

My 79 originally was a 403/350 car, so it did not even have Pontiac power from the factory.

Box: LT1/4's are a dead end now; few tuners will even touch them and performance parts availability is paltry.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2019, 05:00:25 AM »
What he said. You don't have to build one or guess on parts. Just install it. Ya, there will be some parts you have to chase down but it's not that bad as it have been done many times and it seems be the direction things are going.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

1979 Black and Tan

• Active Forum Member
  • '79 in Sunny San Diego
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2019, 12:03:08 PM »
LT1 E-ROD crate engine hands down.

the LS3 is already old and tired and everyone has done that already the NEW LT-1 or for ludicrous power the LT-4 E-ROD ...is the way to go

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12682080/overview/

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/e-rod-lt1

I would also consider bolting up a new 8 speed Transmission (L890E) 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19367134/overview/

This would be an incredible combo...with the low 4.56 1st gear you can keep your stock 2.43 rear end

« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 12:28:24 PM by 1979 Black and Tan »
1979 Trans Am
100% California Car, originally Atlantis Blue/ Black...All Original Unmolested 403, TH350, 2.41
63,300 orig. miles
1971 Chevy K20 4x4

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2019, 01:45:24 PM »

Fun street cars are way quicker than you think which means you'll get smoked and then we just lost the fun factor.

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2019, 01:59:01 PM »
When we start equating muscle cars with gas mileage it might be time to sell it. We've became our parents.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2019, 03:59:44 PM »

Box: LT1/4's are a dead end now; few tuners will even touch them and performance parts availability is paltry.

Ehh, they're not entirely dead and if anything they're having a bit of a resurgence since the value of LT-1 T-56 cars has gone up since buying mine in 2016.  It's not the LS, but there are more parts for it than the other TPI SBC engines.  Tuning it isn't an issue either with the 24x conversion, but even if you don't do that there are those that'll do a whole ECM flash for the factory ignition setup.  Besides it was an idea since it's a direct fit for a gen I SBC and given their low cost in comparison to a worn out LS1, could even do a carburetor conversion to take the hassle of wiring and ECU out of the equation.  All being said the easiest, and probably cheapest, thing would be to just do a 383 build with what he already has.  Chasing power numbers is pointless unless you're racing competitively, anything more is just bragging rights and trivial since plenty of cars push 1,000+ horsepower these days.  Being a fellow Miata enthusiast you should know power isn't everything.

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
      • Scarebird Classic Brakes
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2019, 07:01:14 PM »
LT1 E-ROD crate engine hands down.

Only issue I have with those is the direct injection; GM still has a few wrinkles to iron out.  My 2016 5.3 has it and already had 5 injectors replaced under warranty.  That said, the 5.3 has 355 hp with a truck cam...

Box: my neighbor had a 96 LT1 in his 72 Shortbox C10; nothing but issues trying to tune it.  He yarded it out and put in a 10 year old 6.0 with a cam that is a beast.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2019, 07:32:16 PM »
Blame the user not the tool, plenty have made the LT-1/LT-4 work for them over the years and to this day.  Yes the LS is better as that's how progress works(or at least how it should), but the LT-1 is still a plenty viable engine if it's what you already have or you're budget minded working with a preexisting SBC formatted vehicle and are savvy with intricacies.  Honestly I wouldn't bother replacing a good gen I SBC or LT-1/LT-4 for anything less than a LS3, since otherwise it's an exercise in cost and hassle for practically no gain.

That said it's all really moot since it seems he's set on doing a 383 with the engine he has and just wanted people to agree with him to justify his actions.  Personally I feel that's the way to go in terms of cost and ease should you be happy with 400-450 horsepower, and if you're halfway sane that's more than plenty in a street car.

If it makes you feel any better I'd LS swap a Miata before doing any form of SBC, then again I'm more inclined to doing a K20/24 swap on those since you get power and lose weight over the stock BP engines.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 07:39:48 PM by Box »

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2019, 08:12:10 PM »
A quote from Hot Rod Mag that dates back to 2012

Not long ago these factory LS7 castings would have been considered full race heads.

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2019, 11:47:46 PM »
Consider the rear gearing, if you don't want to change that 3.08 rear axle, then consider a 5 speed as the most gears you want.....a 6 speed with two OD top gears would be useless.....as well as being significantly heavier and more expensive.

Frankly, you're already set up for the SBC.....rebuild what you have as a 383, sit EFI on top of it......best dollar solution you're going to see.
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1968 Pontiac Firebird 428 5 speed coupe

Former Firebirds -
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2019, 06:59:32 AM »
Consider the rear gearing, if you don't want to change that 3.08 rear axle, then consider a 5 speed as the most gears you want.....a 6 speed with two OD top gears would be useless.....as well as being significantly heavier and more expensive.

Frankly, you're already set up for the SBC.....rebuild what you have as a 383, sit EFI on top of it......best dollar solution you're going to see.

The 3.08 was the ratio in my 74 that got the SBC 350 / 4-speed swap. That was the stock ratio for the automatic and I never changed it. The ratio I have now in my project car is 2.43 IIRC and will get changed to somewhere around 3.40. I was looking at the 0.63 OD Tremec.

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2019, 06:59:32 AM »
You can help support TAC!