Author Topic: Stock Bell Housing  (Read 237 times)

Maxthe222

• Active Forum Member
Stock Bell Housing
« on: April 16, 2019, 04:18:11 AM »
Hi folks,

Some people have said trawling through the threads on engine builds {and some professional advice from some members ;)} that a stock bell housing on a 4-speed 400 PWH W72 block is fine for big torque ratings, is that true? Just wanted to hear a few other opinions. In terms on what power, i'm thinking a 400-500 hp engine, not sure exactly what that will translate into torque.

Another question, will a older Doug Nash 4 + 1 mount to a stock 400 Pontiac bell housing without any problems? Some people say yes, some people say no.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 04:24:18 AM by Maxthe222 »
1979 T/A Y84 WS6
1979 F/A W72 WS6
1971 Formula ???

oldskool

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Stock Bell Housing
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 08:41:48 AM »
Stock bell housings are strong enuff. The problem comes if/when a clucth blows up. The factory bell housing is made of cast alum. Therefore, most recommend a steel bell housing for any high performance app. And they are not cheap nowadays. :(

Maxthe222

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 08:40:28 PM »
Ok. Can I avoid that happening by having a heavy duty clutch? I've heard about something down there blowing up, that makes more sense
1979 T/A Y84 WS6
1979 F/A W72 WS6
1971 Formula ???

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 07:16:21 AM »
the Doug Nash 5 spd should bolt right up, make sure it's for GM applications, I'm not sure they ever made a Ford that could have a different input shaft.
www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

oldskool

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 09:30:10 AM »
Ok. Can I avoid that happening by having a heavy duty clutch? I've heard about something down there blowing up, that makes more sense

I suppose that the flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disc could all blow up, under the right conditions. That's why most recommend a good steel bell housing for high power apps.

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 09:30:10 AM »

ws6formula

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 07:36:13 AM »
I have a 78 TA with 400 stroker (approx 450-475hp /  500ft/lbs torque). I run a factory rebuilt SuperT10 4spd with Centerforce DF clutch with a Hays steel flywheel. I use a Mcleod steel bellhousing. I debated whether or not to use a steel bellhousing.  In the end for my peace of mind I went with a steel bell and good steel flywheel. I don't drop the clutch and don't speed shift and I run crappy street tires that have poor traction.  I drive the car pretty hard (been at drag strip once) but dont think i am putting too much stress on the clutch for it to blow up.
I got the Hays flywheel and Mcleod bell used (with block plate) - $100 flywheel, $200 bell. I recall a new Quicktime new bell was around $650? Sometimes , I see used steel bells for around $200/250. There seem to be 3 maim steel bells - Quicktime, Mcleod, Lakewwood. I saw more used Lakewoods - as I guess this bell has been made for quite some time? The Lakewood looked really HD and bulky. The quicktime looked great - but only saw it new and was pricey. My McLeod turned out nice (maybe not quite as bulky? as Lakewood) and I checked bell alignment when installing and it was within spec. I do need to use smaller (1045 Wix/Napa) oil filter.

Maxthe222

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 01:44:44 AM »
I have a 78 TA with 400 stroker (approx 450-475hp /  500ft/lbs torque). I run a factory rebuilt SuperT10 4spd with Centerforce DF clutch with a Hays steel flywheel. I use a Mcleod steel bellhousing. I debated whether or not to use a steel bellhousing.  In the end for my peace of mind I went with a steel bell and good steel flywheel. I don't drop the clutch and don't speed shift and I run crappy street tires that have poor traction.  I drive the car pretty hard (been at drag strip once) but dont think i am putting too much stress on the clutch for it to blow up.
I got the Hays flywheel and Mcleod bell used (with block plate) - $100 flywheel, $200 bell. I recall a new Quicktime new bell was around $650? Sometimes , I see used steel bells for around $200/250. There seem to be 3 maim steel bells - Quicktime, Mcleod, Lakewwood. I saw more used Lakewoods - as I guess this bell has been made for quite some time? The Lakewood looked really HD and bulky. The quicktime looked great - but only saw it new and was pricey. My McLeod turned out nice (maybe not quite as bulky? as Lakewood) and I checked bell alignment when installing and it was within spec. I do need to use smaller (1045 Wix/Napa) oil filter.

Ok, thanks for the first hand input! It was mostly about cost, I can throw a few hundred here or there, but if I could get by with something that wasn't an immediate issue (Like a flywheel detonating in the car lol) then I might settle for it. I haven't heard of any of those brands besides Lakewood. If they are legitimately that cheap for a safe, decent used one then I might try find one, I don't really see those down here
1979 T/A Y84 WS6
1979 F/A W72 WS6
1971 Formula ???

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 01:44:44 AM »
You can help support TAC!