Author Topic: Shaker shakes itself out of alignment?  (Read 467 times)

martblue78ta

• Active Forum Member
Shaker shakes itself out of alignment?
« on: March 24, 2019, 04:13:21 PM »
Attached are three pictures of my '78 Trans Am with the a W72 400.  I absolutely love the shaker but mine has this strange habit of moving itself to settle unaligned with the center of the hood.  I can move it with my hand back to the center of the hood but by the next time I drive somewhere and stop it will have moved itself again.  Is this a common issue with all T/A's that I just haven't heard of yet or is there some sort of regular mechanical issue that causes it to move too freely.  Any help is much appreciated and sorry if this is posted on the wrong section of the forum, I wasn't sure where else it should go.

One picture is of the shaker properly seated, then the other two are what it often looks like after driving for a while as it does go both to the driver and passenger side.

Y88 TA

• Active Forum Member
Re: Shaker shakes itself out of alignment?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 05:10:16 PM »
Sorry I don"t see any pictures. The big round clamp on the shaker that fits on the air cleaner should be tightened with a screw.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 05:13:46 PM by Y88 TA »

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 09:03:23 PM »
If tightening the clamp doesn't cure it, look for the rubber seal that's supposed to be attached to the bottom of the metal plate that's attached to the bottom of your scoop. The seal helps make for a tight fit, so the shaker won't move. If the rubber is missing, then the shaker scoop is loose fitting on the top of the air cleaner base, and can move around. The pics below show the rubber seal. It's the #2 part in the drawing of the "bottom view of scoop" on the left side. And there's a pic of the actual seal and how it lays in the metal adapter plate on the bottom of the shaker scoop. A new seal can be bought here. I can't say how good it is, since I haven't bought one:  http://fbodywarehouse.com/store/1970-1981-trans-am-air-cleaner-lid-gasket-seal.html

SHAKER SEAL INSTALL by grand73am, on Flickr
A SHAKER SEAL by grand73am, on Flickr
Steve F.

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 08:09:40 AM »
I'm having trouble understanding the issue, the shaker moves with the engine and may not come ack to the exact position or the center, that's perfectly normal. If its twisting then the seal as mentioned above will fix it.

Regards, Jack

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 08:20:01 AM »
I think the term is rotate, if you can move it by had it's not tight enough, tighten the band clamp.
www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 08:20:01 AM »

cyber104

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 10:43:33 AM »
I get what he's saying - even with my band clamp as tight as you can get it I can still rotate the assembly with the hood closed if I want to -  takes a little effort but can be done.

I must be missing the same gasket
1978 TA 4-Speed W72

martblue78ta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 09:27:34 PM »
If tightening the clamp doesn't cure it, look for the rubber seal that's supposed to be attached to the bottom of the metal plate that's attached to the bottom of your scoop. The seal helps make for a tight fit, so the shaker won't move. If the rubber is missing, then the shaker scoop is loose fitting on the top of the air cleaner base, and can move around. The pics below show the rubber seal. It's the #2 part in the drawing of the "bottom view of scoop" on the left side. And there's a pic of the actual seal and how it lays in the metal adapter plate on the bottom of the shaker scoop. A new seal can be bought here. I can't say how good it is, since I haven't bought one:  http://fbodywarehouse.com/store/1970-1981-trans-am-air-cleaner-lid-gasket-seal.html

SHAKER SEAL INSTALL by grand73am, on Flickr
A SHAKER SEAL by grand73am, on Flickr

Thanks for the help, I'm gonna get one of these as my shaker seems to be missing it and hopefully that will resolve the problem.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 02:06:43 AM »
When it was new it was a half-round spongey soft rubber with adhesive back to run around that inner edge. You can see in pics above that it forms a shape after time being clamped.

NOS GM 527230 adhesive shaker seal Trans Am 2 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

NITEBIRD

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 10:24:03 AM »
This is very interesting information as mine is definitely missing that rubber seal. My shaker would also rotate, it takes some time for it to do so but it does.

ws6formula

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 07:53:30 AM »
My shaker was moving around too..I had some old foam weather stripping lying around , kinda like this
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-3-4-in-x-7-16-in-x-10-ft-Black-High-Density-Rubber-Foam-Weatherstrip-Tape-R734H/100047977

I actually put some of the foam weather stripping on the air cleaner base lip. That works pretty good. I didnt realize the factory seal was on the shaker.

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 09:33:09 AM »
You can also use very thin U section rubber strip....press it onto the edge of the aircleaner or shaker, then clamp it.

Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1968 Pontiac Firebird 428 5 speed coupe

Former Firebirds -
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 09:33:09 AM »
You can help support TAC!