Author Topic: Homemade Lizard Skin  (Read 344 times)

Calamity

• Active Forum Member
Homemade Lizard Skin
« on: April 15, 2019, 12:22:34 PM »
I have seen a couple of threads on here about people making their own "Homemade" lizard skin using acrylic latex paint and microballoons. Was wondering how everyone's homemade concoctions were holding up and if there was any noticeable difference in sound.

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
Re: Homemade Lizard Skin
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 10:09:07 AM »
Kinda curious about this myself. It would be nice to have a thermal barrier for the roof in the hot Texas sun. From what I read, the results of the homemade stuff are mixed. It seems that you can't use the hobby store microballons. Instead, you need to use the 3M industrial-grade balloons -- and there are several types. The recipe appears to be a 50:50 mix of balloons and acrylic latex paint.

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 11:39:50 AM »
a friend used Lizard skin on his car, thought it was very expensive, then I saw online people that posted the MSDS sheep that showed the "proprietary" ceramic media AKA ceramic micro balloons at 15% and recycled acrylic latex "paint",  (BTW there is no real latex in latex paint)

I bought a jar of what was sold as ceramic micro balloons (but no mention of ceramic anything on the actual product) it was cheap, only reason I bought it, and the usual "originally developed by NASA" is used, no volume listed on the container but says mixes with 5 liters of paint, turns out there's 950ML in the jar that make just under a 20% mix (better than Lizard skin at 15%) not to say that I can't mix it at a higher ratio.

a while back another forum member here disagreed with me on the validity of these products, like most people we want to believe in technology and "magic bullet" products, and I also pointed out at that time that consumer protection agencies of the government are actively investigating the claims made on behalf of these types of products, they don't care about car enthusiasts but they do about homes and their owners and claims of reduced heating costs and green house gasses.

Don't get me wrong I think there is some truth to the product's performance but at 15-20% acrylic latex does not shrink enough to remove the 80-85% left that has no insulating micro balloons after drying.
This is why I bought a gallon of "wrong" mix they had at Lowes for $15 and my $19 worth of  paint insulating additive I will make my own for $34 VS $175 and I will have a higher ceramic content by volume.

I would agree that a 50/50 mix may be the best for after drying effectiveness.

and for those that fall for the NASA thing, keep in mind that the thinnest panel on the space shuttle is about 1" thick matrix of silica and other compounds to protect from about 1200* so realistic of the properties of a something that is 20/1000 that thickness and no where near the technology.

But I'm doing it ;-) 
www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

79merlin

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 07:15:52 PM »
I used an off the shelf knock off named "Al's HNR". I think I spent ~40 bucks for a gallon of it off Amazon. No idea if it works, or how well it works as the car is still disassembled. I can say that I wish I would have spent more time prepping. I got over-spray everywhere. I also sprayed it with a texture gun. Not sure if that's how I was supposed to shoot it, but it is what I used...

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 01:56:12 PM »
just did mine this morning rolled it on I have all of $29 in it if it works just a little it's a plus.

www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 01:56:12 PM »

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 04:12:08 AM »
And..what is it meant to do? The rubbery coating meant to just absorb the slightest vibration across the panels?

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 08:06:42 AM »
I would agree that it would attenuate some noise and vibration frequencies, I will be putting some sort of heat shield over it before the carpet goes on, this is the shop race car so heat management takes priority over noise reduction. 

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 11:55:39 AM »
well I conducted a test today, the home made insulation paint does do something BUT not as one would think.
When applied to the INSIDE of the floor it will trap the heat, just the same way your floor covering will do so in essence it's useless when applied to the INSIDE of the car, it may have some noise reduction properties however.

The tests were conducted in 10min. exposure time far more than some of the videos I've seen and far more realistic to the real world, this allows the test to normalize, I checked at 20 min and there was no difference, so this is much more representative of the time a car is driven, but keep in mind there are other factors in the real world such as air flow under the car affected by aero dynamics, vehicle speed, venting...etc.

However when applied to the UNDERSIDE of the car it will be of benefit in controlling heat transfer I observed a 32* difference from one side to the other.
Some heat made it through about 9*, this means what is making it through will now be insulated itself by the carpet and the floor temperature will rise to a point where it all will equalize.

EDIT: yesterday 5/22-19 I had posted a link to my FB page showing videos of basic tests, more testing lead to more questions and more testing.
i DELETED THOSE FB POSTS.
Reason , is that last night working late I thought I would try acrylic only on a test panel I had run out of the ceramic insulating media so I thought I would try the acrylic paint alone and did a side by side acrylic w/insulating ceramic and acrylic, the results were the same, conclusion the ceramic additive is a bust and a waste of money, however acrylic paint seems to affect heat but it retains it, not something you would want.

Just paint the steel and go on with your project.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 09:33:11 AM by 79T/Aman »

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 11:55:39 AM »
You can help support TAC!