Author Topic: Irregular interior color parts question  (Read 222 times)

martblue78ta

• Forum Member
Irregular interior color parts question
« on: March 20, 2019, 09:43:13 PM »
I have a '78 Trans Am with a light blue interior, although the whole car needs plenty of work I would like to start with interior restoration as it's what I always see the closest and notice the most discrepancies in.  My issue thus far has been that I've been unable to attain interior parts in my cars color.  Maybe there's an over priced dash and what not but other parts like the kick panel, or the console only seem to come in black or white.

I prefer not to paint them as the factory matched colors cans are often expensive and given the frequency of my using the car the paint chips and scratches in no time. (I've already touched up parts with paint and they're back to looking like crap after maybe 5 months)  So I much prefer to have parts that are molded in a plastic matching the color or at least close enough to the color that when it chips it won't be super obvious.

I just want to know if there's anyone out there who has found a supplier that stocks interior parts in the more odd colors for those of us without the standard black, tan, or red interior. Or am I SOL and the only parts that come in my color are original parts resold?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

(If it's at all relevant, it is an A/C car with an automatic and no rear defrost option.)

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Irregular interior color parts question
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 12:00:20 AM »
Not sure any are molded in colour and if they were blue would be one of the last done. So you are left with dyed parts, finding a colour that suits your particular blue is always a challenge. If they are scratching up easily then the prep is likely not correct and requires a clear protective coat.
There's a few seatbelt guide pieces molded in blue but they are also not the quality of plastic of similar parts that req painting.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 12:03:16 AM by Aus78Formula »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 07:16:36 AM »
Agree with Aus. I re-dyed all of my int parts (black). Car has been in service for 2 years. BUT, it has probably only travelled 1500 miles. I used SEM products, which are the industry standard, although I dont see a light blue on their chart. Proper prep (cleaned well and using an adhesion promoter), and application, followed by a clear coat has worked fine. Good Luck.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 07:54:53 AM »
You have one choice with SEM for light blue, the same shade used for a few trim parts like sun visors and console lids. Of course, if you are painting hard plastics or metal interior parts it can be mixed to a shade you want. Very few places will do this to suit upholstery and flexible parts like seats and armrest, although I don't ever think dying seats is doing things correctly, consoles, dash and armrests is a little different, and door trims often available, check the blue matches or works. Likewise, availability of suitable carpet and roof lining vinyl. They don't all have to match perfectly, they didn't when new, only compliment, but one incorrect item not available or in the wrong shade can ruin the lot.

http://www.msitrt.com/SEMchart.htm
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:04:12 AM by Aus78Formula »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 09:02:38 AM »
That's interesting. I just bought a new SEM colour chart about a month ago. There is only 1 blue and its dark,#15643.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 09:02:38 AM »

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 09:11:44 AM »
Sounds about right, that's just a random SEM colour chart, and there were often guys having trouble even finding the blue, when they did it was too dark/too light. So probably just deleted it. Shop around if you need it, perhaps on a dusty shelf.

Here's another saying it's deleted, then shows the Sea Mist type, lighter than sample appears in the sun. SEM isn't the only brand, just good at marketing and backing it up with quality. Every other country manages without it, like I said, you need to select a blue that's available and make sure it can work for every item. It'll just be harder than nearly ever other colour.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3477752-Attn-Baby-blue-mk1-owners-Need-interior-help/page2
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 09:19:13 AM by Aus78Formula »

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 10:07:53 AM »
Welcome to TAC!

I think you'll have to paint them.  There aren't any good used ones in blue, and as far as I know they're not available in color.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

quizkid32

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 02:15:00 PM »
I purchased my lt. blue from ames, then top coated with sem lo luster clear. Very good match to the factory Lt. Blue. (1979 T/A)

tz6p06

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 06:22:34 PM »
I've actually been looking for light blue for years with very little luck.  I was able to find kick panels and a perfect dash but that has been it.  I painted the headliner trim, sail panels and rear arm rests.  All I can say is when you are getting ready to paint them, make sure you wash them and then was them again.  When you think you have them clean and ready, wash them a couple more times.  When they make these they use oils to help pop them out of the molds and it is difficult to paint them because of the oils.  Preparing the plastic parts before painting is the best thing!

79Noc4sp

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 07:19:14 PM »
I figured I start here first, I'll make another thread about Light Blue SEM paint.

After reading every post/article I could find on the subject and narrowing it down to SEM #1610 as being the closest match for GM Light Blue 24. I got this info from member timfarn. I tried a company Timfarn had used before but the number just rang and rang, no one ever picked up and it never went to voicemail. I checked locally to try and find someone that might mix up a custom color for me, after trying many different avenues around Kansas City with no luck, I moved on to a national search.

I started with calling SEM 800 number as well as sending them an email. My first call ended with the person sending me to a voice mail, I checked my email and had already got a response from SEM, unfortunately they gave me a number of companies around Kansas City that I had already contacted and none of those companies were helpful at all. I called back to SEM and spoke with a gentleman named Israel, he started saying what the email I had received had said, I told him I had already tried those places and really needed him to come through for me. He ended up giving me the mid-western sales rep, Randy.

I called Randy and told him what I had been through trying to find someone to mix up the Color Coat #1610 paint for me with no luck. He gave me a company in in Texas to call, when I called them they acted like they had no idea what I was even talking about. I texted Randy again and after about 10 minutes he texted back another place to try. At this point I'm starting to think this isn't going to happen, then I get a text from Nathan, his company is Nathan Isaac's American Trim & Upholstery Supply Tulsa, OK 74115 918-834-669. He tells me he hasn't mixed up any SEM Color Coat in a long time. He checked and he had unopened cans of the colors needed to make the color I was looking for.

So if you are looking for Light Blue GM 24 or SEM Color Coat #1610 you might want to get some while it's available. He also has original Hobnail material and a large inventory of GM interior materials.

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 07:19:14 PM »
You can help support TAC!