Author Topic: Hood height adjustment  (Read 245 times)

skip99

• Active Forum Member
  • Ohio
Hood height adjustment
« on: April 15, 2019, 10:15:33 AM »
Ive built a few cars and adjusted quite a few hoods, normally to lower the rear, you loosen bolts and lift front of hood to tilt hinge up in front and down in rear, and since this is all new, perfect paint, i want to play as little as possible,  so to fix the issue?  Maybe lower the front of hinge while keeping the reardown?  I have on occasion, usually the trunk though, shimmed either front or rear between lid and hinge...and i have  extended a slot in a hinge to give me a little more swing...
Suggestions?

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
Re: Hood height adjustment
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 12:09:36 PM »
If you are just now assembling it, then you can just put the hinge on to start with down in back and up in front.  That is how you get the hood lowest.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 01:36:10 PM »
With worn hinges even this is not low enough though.  If I had to do it again, I would rebuild mine with bushings even though they seemed really tight.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

skip99

• Active Forum Member
  • Ohio
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 04:01:41 PM »
If you are just now assembling it, then you can just put the hinge on to start with down in back and up in front.  That is how you get the hood lowest.
Yep, thats what i did, it seems theat the new rear hood bumpers that mount on the cowl were a little high, not much but it did make a difference...its closer , i think the washer on the front bolt may be stopping the hinge from going all the way on theslot, ill check that tomorrow, otherwise, 8 guess ill have to either extend the slots a little, or maybe shim between hood and hinge on fron bolt..

skip99

• Active Forum Member
  • Ohio
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 04:04:16 PM »
With worn hinges even this is not low enough though.  If I had to do it again, I would rebuild mine with bushings even though they seemed really tight.

I. Worked on mine to make them tighter,  but ,oh well, lol,    What bushings are you talking about? Replacing the rivets?

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 04:04:16 PM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 06:09:41 PM »
Ya, I still might rebuild an old set in have. Drill out the rivets and use a shoulder bolt and or install bronze bushings.  If you look while you are closing the hood you will see them distort and bend towards the center of the hood.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 06:09:41 PM »
You can help support TAC!