Author Topic: LED lighting on classic cars  (Read 351 times)

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
LED lighting on classic cars
« on: April 04, 2019, 01:39:34 AM »
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 05:29:07 AM by Aus78Formula »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: LED lighting on classic cars
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 07:09:46 AM »
I think led's are great, just not on my car. Its not a dd and to me, all the old school stuff is what makes it a classic car. Change the drive train, the lights, the seats, the suspension, may as well just go buy a new mustang (of which I did for my wife, lol). Good or bad, it all adds up to the charm of an old car.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 07:43:17 AM »
You can change the color temperature of any light source by using photographic gels, which are simply colored sheets of plastic that go over the lamp. They come in multiple colors depending on what color temperature your striving for. I've never thought about using them in a car but there's no reason why it wouldn't work. 

Before I tore my Firebird down, I had changed (only) the rear license plate light to LED and the blue-ish light really stood out from the rest of the lamps, so I know exactly what you mean. 
Gene

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 09:05:25 AM »
With LEDs the white/blue or what they call cool are the cheap lamps, you can get almost any color temp. you want. I think lamp upgrades are simple and nice (sorry Kerry I don't think they take away from the classic look). The gel is a good idea but they will cut down the light some to a point that they may not be affective in the dash. I'm looking to upgrade my gauge cluster because I can't see it at night, could be due to few lamps are out or poor eyesight.

Regards, Jack

krylon_hunter

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 02:57:29 PM »
LEDs are awesome in my opinion other than for turn signals ive seen them cause rapid blinking due to different resistance in the circuit. not personally sure if that's the case on our older cars though

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 02:57:29 PM »

N PRGRES

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 08:11:49 PM »
This is an interesting thread. As I get the TA road ready I am working on LED headlights. I have a classic looking glass lens but want a bright led light inside. I like seeing where I am going and it makes the car safer. Probables is I don’t know a good brand to go with.
Dave

81 Trans Am

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • You can't hit the ball if you don't swing the bat.
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 09:41:49 PM »
They do make warm white LEDs for the interior now, which I prefer over blinding blueish white.  Actually I prefer amber lighting ala BMW which is what I did for my Firebird, here's such that inspired me:

Plus it doesn't hurt your night vision when you have to use them like any form of white light does.  As far as reputable LED brands there's always Philips and OSRAM/Sylvania, beyond that takes a lot of digging and research as to what's good and what isn't.

1996 Pontiac Firebird Formula hardtop 6-speed

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 09:43:37 PM »
LEDs are awesome in my opinion other than for turn signals ive seen them cause rapid blinking due to different resistance in the circuit. not personally sure if that's the case on our older cars though
You need electronic flashers or relays for LED bulbs.

Maxthe222

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 01:27:12 AM »
Hmmm,

Well for me, I'm thinking about having LED indicator bulbs on the front, i'd like them on the back, but maybe not the front. I constantly get blindsided by them all the time when driving, and I kinda don't wanna be one of those lol.

But when it comes to interior? I'd love LED lights behind the tacho, speedo and gauges. I do a lot of night driving, and that is something I really wanna implement on my firebirds. Also on the light under the automatic console shifter, interior courtesy lights, and the trunk light. I completely agree about the blinding light vs the warm light thing, I think having that flashbang go off when you open the door isn't suited to muscle cars. I'm going to look into the "warm" style LED bulbs though.
1979 T/A Y84 WS6
1979 F/A W72 WS6
1971 Formula ???

N PRGRES

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 05:24:08 AM »
I have yet to see a case where a driver was hot because the headlights were too bright.....  If I can see better because I have better light than the shitty old sealed beams, that’s safer, especially as I love in the country and rural roads are very dark with lots of deer  :shock:
Dave

81 Trans Am

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2019, 01:04:09 PM »
It's not a matter of brightness, it's a matter of beam pattern and glare.  Tools that throw in HID "retrofit" kits into their halogen reflector housings need to be forced to look into the sun.  LED isn't quite as bad, but even the ones that're supposed to be good have bleed out over the cutoff point.  To do it proper you need LED or HID projectors from an o.e. application, and even then getting it right in a vehicle never meant for them takes effort.  Just because you think you can see better doesn't mean that you are, and at the expense of other drivers is just irresponsible.  There are proper replacements for sealed beams, E code halogen H1 and H4 lamps from companies like Hella and Cibie.  Run on a relayed harness you'll see better than most new cars, in fact my Hella H4 with 100/80W bulbs on a relay harness puts out better light that my brother's BMW with factory D1S HID.  Of course it takes 2-3 times the wattage, but that's halogen for you.  Not only do I see better but I know I'm not being an @$$ blinding everyone with glare too.

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • When you turn your car on does it return the favor
      • Our Business
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 02:36:27 PM »
I think they are cool and my voltage gauge loved the new LED's and headlights. It would drop from 14 to about 11.5, 11.8, now, it barely moves when I turn stuff on...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_GmXawaARE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_GmXawaARE</a>

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 02:36:27 PM »
You can help support TAC!