2020-B1-1

Author Topic: Help starting new 403!  (Read 930 times)

TylerLee

• Forum Member
Help starting new 403!
« on: February 24, 2019, 08:58:05 PM »
Hiya! New member, old reader. About 6 months ago I inherited my dad's 79 T/A, 403 powered. The car has been parked since '91, and I've been dreaming if driving it around for 28 years (also, since '91 - coincidence?)
Anyways, I recently totally overhauled the engine. I had the deck and heads shaved, ports matched, new rings, bearings, water pump, distributor, Q-Jet and pretty much everything else. Everything is stock except for an Edelbrock Performer RPM cam, which I have recently read may have been a horrible mistake for a stock 403. Anyways, a got the engine remounted today, torque converter and bell housing buckled up, etc. I made an EGR delete plate and I followed a vacuum hose diagram I found online. So, here's the issue, and remember that the timing was checked, double checked, and checked again, but I cannot get it to start. I'm currently jumping the solenoid for the time being just to test. The fuel pump is brand new and is pulling fuel to the carb. I sprayed starter fluid and checked spark - still, nothing. I'll check compression tomorrow but I'm certain that it is fine as everything is new and was buckled up with a torque wrench in the proper sequence. My question is this - there are some vacuum ports on the carburetor that still have the factory covers on them. I've left the ones capped that the vacuum line diagram didn't call to be installed. Am I missing anything here? Please help! This is my life's dream! Also, is there a way I can post pics here? Sorry for the noob crap.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Help starting new 403!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 05:08:39 AM »
Have you checked it's not 180 deg out? If there's no spark, start there, ignore the fuel.

TylerLee

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 12:30:37 PM »
Nope, the cam is in the right position. Set timing to TDC of compression stroke.

nigel

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 12:36:46 PM »
If it turns over and your getting fuel to carb its got to be with the ignition assuming the valves are opening you would get a back fire, check the plugs leads and cap correspond to the right cylinder, if your getting a spark at the plugs then timing is out go back and recheck.

olds403

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 08:10:38 PM »
Put the motor on tdc and pull the dizzy cap.  the rotor if ready to fire #1 will be at the back of the firewall pointing slightly to the right.  An olds fires CCW so the rotor rotation is backwards of a chevy.  Learned that one when I was 17 or so..  Post a picture and will tell you. 

TylerLee

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 08:11:01 AM »
I got her started up. I've never felt so accomplished in my life! The plug wires were all rotated to the next post on the dizzy.

b3nny

• Active Forum Member
      • My TA
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 08:08:10 PM »
Congrats let us know how the break in goes.
1980 Turbo TA (Olds 403)
My TA

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 08:08:10 PM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-3