Author Topic: Any Cooks?  (Read 1785 times)

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Any Cooks?
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2019, 09:41:26 PM »
Thanks but she doesn't know any different. The only real issue is eating out. It is tough but a lot of places are starting to accommodate the milk allergy.  She drinks almond milk. I don't normally eat breakfast but I was starving the other day so I used her milk in some cereal and I couldn't tell the difference.  We do use it in everything we cook to with no issue.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Raven

• Active Forum Member
      • Yellowstone Computing
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2019, 04:11:49 PM »
Yeah, food issues like that can make travel a bit of a hassle.
1978 Mayan Red Trans Am, '74 455SD, 4-speed.
1977 Trans Am SE, Y82, 400, auto. (Sold)
1999 Navy Blue Metallic Trans Am, LS1, auto. (Sold)
Time Flies in a Trans Am!
https://www.yellowstonecomputing.net

Steinberg

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2019, 09:42:25 AM »
My wife is the greatest cook in the world. We are planning to open a restaurant in Spain next year. However I'm the worst cook in the world and since my wife is in Germany now to look for restaurants for sale Tenerife I have to feed myself somehow for a week. I think today we have chicken grill for dinner. Any other easy cooking ideas for the rest of the days?  :smile:

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2019, 11:23:23 AM »
Order pizza.  :-D

That would cover me for 4 of the days...

Maybe hamburgers on the grill? Spaghetti? Basic, just noodles and sauce.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2019, 02:11:07 PM »
Steinburg, welcome to TAC, that's great that she is such a good cook and you are going to open a rest.
Form, we were out of town for the weekend and the cupboards are bare. We just discussed ordering pizza for dinner!
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2019, 02:11:07 PM »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2019, 02:17:18 PM »
Not sure how I missed this, oh wait...  Anyway, I love to cook!  Which is good since I do the vast majority of cooking for the family.  The next time I do something worth taking pictures of I'll have to share.

OH WAIT, planning on doing 50/50 burgers tonight on the new grill.  50/50 being 50% beef and 50% bacon all ground up and mixed together, I also use egg as a binding agent as it helps keep them from drying out.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2019, 02:30:29 PM »
I have never put bacon IN the burger, that sounds pretty good. Gas, or Charcoal. I have gotten so all I use now is my charcoal grille. I cant remember the last time I had the gas job turned on. Its been rainy and miserable here all day, otherwise I would most likely be grilling something as well.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2019, 03:11:42 PM »
Yush, I got the inspiration from a show on burgers I saw once(or was it bacon?) where they mixed bacon and beef 50/50.  That and I've been adding egg for ages now since I took inspiration from meatloaf recipes there.

It's a charcoal/wood grill and smoker.  To me propane kind of defeats the purpose of open flame cooking, but I like smoky flavour imparted onto meat whenever I'm actually in the mood for it.  Grilled peppers and onions I'm always up for though.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2019, 05:16:59 PM »
You guys are killing me... I need to get a charcoal grill. All I have is a hibachi... charcoal is awesome,  but having to cook as soon as I get home from work I have to get food ready so propane is it... Maybe this year at the lake I can go charcoal.

Oh, btw, lobster tails on the grill are killer and affordable.!

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2019, 06:36:00 PM »
Form, I used to feel the same way about charcoal. I used the gas grill because it was an easy click n cook. I have it down now that I can get the grill going, go work on the car for half hour or so, or get my food prepped and ready to go. By then the coals are good and hot and ready to go. I have a plain jane weber that i have been using for years now. Might step up to a komodo this summer.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2019, 07:11:13 PM »

Lobster tails,  shrimp, bacon and fillets. I have like $35 here for a killer dinner. Some sauteed onions and mushrooms in a red wine sauce for the steaks.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 07:17:00 PM by FormTA »

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2019, 08:03:14 PM »
I know it's hard to believe but I actually cooked for mother's day... and, this is the most important part, the burgers were not hockey pucks lol

Regards, Jack

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2019, 08:05:19 PM »
Oooh lobster tails and shrimp.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2019, 09:11:02 PM »
I remembered to get a photo before they all disappeared:

The bacon gives them a nice reddish colour.  It's just like putting bacon on top of the burger, but better since it's all nice and intermixed.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2019, 07:08:47 AM »
Dang! Im glad I didn't look at this thread last night when I was eating Pizza. That surf n turf dinner looks pretty good.
Our supermarket has a pretty good meat dept. I have gotten to a point that I can cook a filet as good or better than what I can get at a restaurant. Best part is I can get 2 nice ones for less than $20, whereas one would be at least $25-$30 out. Plus I have  the fun of watching the fire.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2019, 07:08:47 AM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2019, 08:59:42 AM »
We have a local meat market where you can bacon wrapped fillets for $5 when they run them on sale. They run a $5 lobster tail special too. The meat from this market tastes nothing like the meat from a supermarket.  My wife won't buy hamburger from anywhere but them. She says the others just taste bad now... I think I created a monster....

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2019, 02:35:09 PM »
Dang, that's a bargain.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2019, 07:21:12 PM »
That's ok after having Boar's Head lunch meat and cheese everything else is just gross, so along the same lines I suppose.

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I know what I believe.......do you?
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2019, 10:52:23 AM »
I thought I'd replied in this topic but I hadn't.  I do all the cooking in the house except for the occasional dessert that the Mrs gets a hankering for.  I think I had mentioned in another thread that the wife and I made a change to what we eat last year.  Not that we didn't eat fairly healthy before but we've for the most part removed any processed and packaged food which includes bread (we cheat this one a little), flour, some grains,  potatoes (except for sweet potatoes).  95% of the meat we buy is grass fed/grass finished, no antibiotics and is from a local farm. Its been a little of a challenge to adapt, but since we've gone this route, we've both dropped 30+ pounds and feel better overall.  Its surprising how much modified/processed foods affect your bodies.  Pasta is our biggest challenge.  We now minimalize the amount we eat and what we eat is produced and packaged in Italy.  Their grains and flours aren't modified so it doesn't affect your body like the packaged pasta is here.  I was iffy about it but I have to say that I don't miss a lot of that and when I do, I will indulge a little.  I'm usually am a little miserable afterwards, but it just reminds me why we're doing what we're doing.  We also have to deal with an egg and tree nut allergy with my son, but it's been that way since he was a toddler, so that's not so much of an issue.   I've started using a pressure cooker with this change and I really like it.  I've also become a bit of deceiver with my cauliflower mashed potatoes.  Many have stated they really can't tell a difference from the regular mashed potatoes except they don't feel like a lump in their stomachs after a while.  The one downside is of course price but since we really eat less now, it kind of balances it out.  I make a mean brisket and truth be told, I get the same smoky results and tenderness without even putting it on the grill or smoker.  Mexican food is kind of my specialty but I love making soups, stews and chili as well and I always enjoy firing up the grill.
91 Bright Red Trans AM GTA.........41,xxx original miles

"The American dream is not that every man must be level with every other man. The American dream is that every man must be free to become whatever God intends he should become."

Reagan

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2019, 12:13:04 PM »
Along the same lines we "Try" to eat GMO free items. I even order certified GMO free chicken feed for the chickens so our eggs are GMO free. My daughter is allergic to all forms of dairy so I make most of our own bread (I'm starting to sound like I'm Amish) which is also why I cook most of our food instead of eating out.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 12:18:23 PM by FormTA »

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2019, 12:24:26 PM »
Along the same lines we "Try" to east GMO free items. I even order certified GMO free chicken feed for the chickens so our eggs are GMO free. My daughter is allergic to all forms of dairy so I make most of our own bread (I'm starting to sound like I'm Amish) whis is also why I cook most of our food instead of eating out.

So you know how much of a challenge it can be and you can verify that those eggs do have a better flavor.  We get the "pasture raised" eggs from the Natural Grocers by us. They have different requirements vs. free range.  We found out that "Free Range"  only means that the farmers have to give them a certain amount of square feet to label them as such (think its 100 square feet for so much time a day).  Plus it doesn't limit the amount of chickens in that area, so if there are 50 chickens in that area, they aren't really free ranging lol.

About the only places we go out to eat are Chic-fil-A for "fast food" and Texas Roadhouse for "Fancy dinin".  Fairly safe with a steak, salad and sweet potato there and salad with grilled chicken tenders at Chic-fil-A.  I prefer cooking at home, but I get the Mrs likes to indulge on occasion and I'm good with that too.

BTW, I love Amish friendship bread..........its addictive lol.   

"The American dream is not that every man must be level with every other man. The American dream is that every man must be free to become whatever God intends he should become."

Reagan

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2019, 02:16:37 PM »
I like Amish butter, mmm... butter...

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2019, 07:43:21 PM »
Ya, there is no point to eat store eggs, they taste like nothing. You're really missing out if you haven't tried "farm raised" eggs. We just have 5 Henson for the eggs. We have a couple steak house near us we visit as well but we have to ask them not to butter the steaks and broccoli for my daughter.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2019, 07:38:26 AM »
Wow! My hat is off to you guys (especially Bill) for your diet change. My diet is the worst in the world. Im strickly a meat and potatoes kinda guy. Other than a couple of local Italian rest's., Roadhouse is our go to. The steaks are always great and you cant beat the price. I have gotten so I can cook a filet (did so last night) on the grill that tastes just as good or better though so we don't go as often as we used to.
I guess with the spirit of the thread I will continue to post when I feel like cooking, but now you guys have me feeling guilty about what im eating! LOL
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2019, 03:25:45 PM »
Grilled some salmon today. My sone and I had salmon while the wife an daughter had burgers.  One was basic garlic and lemon butter while I tried a new one for me, soy and brown sugar marinade.  It didn't taste like you would expect, it was awesome! This will be my go to when grilling salmon.  With a mix of oddball sides...

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2019, 03:51:47 PM »
That salmon looks great!  I usually dust mine with some Emeralle Cajun spice when I grill it but simple like you did is gonna taste really good to.

Dont feel bad about your diet. Meat and potatoes isnt bad. We've just gotten more particular with where we source our meat and just watch what we put into our bodies now that we've done the research and witnessed our results firsthand. In fact I just finished grilling Tbones and am having a sweet potato with it.  I would much rather have a loaded russet potato but know what the result of that would be......me miserable lol.   Probably have a salad to go with it and that will be my dinner this evening.

Bottom line is if you cook a lot at home, most likely you are eating better than hitting the driver thru or take out all the time.

Reagan

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2019, 04:33:20 PM »
We cook at home at least 95% of the time, so I guess we're not doing too bad.  Here lately though I'm just getting sick of meat.  The other night did smoked and grilled ribs and then did beef tacos and was bleh, forgot to get pictures of the ribs.  Which I've never been big on beef or pork, but here lately it's like unless it's poultry or seafood and even then at times...  I could go vegetarian with the occasional seafood or poultry and be happy, but everyone else(mom aside) loves beef and pork.  Like the night was doing ribs or tacos I just got to a point where I was like "this is gross" and stopped eating only to eat some crackers later after getting my appetite back.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2019, 07:11:56 AM »
I really should change my diet for the better, being that I am 1 or 2 pounds overweight! Who knows, maybe I will get some inspiration here. I do have really strong will power and can do it if I really want to. Quite a few years ago I changed my eating habits and lost about 20 lbs (that was all I needed then LOL), then little by little the crap stuff started to creep back in.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

airpirate

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2019, 01:58:42 PM »
My Salmon marinade...
olive oil
Soy Sauce,
Brown sugar
black pepper,
a little salt
Jack Daniels

78 TA 6.6 W72 WS6
10 Land Rover
08 Dodge Ram
15 Ford Edge
03 Indian Motorcycle

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2019, 08:10:35 AM »
I found a website that has restaurant recipes. I love the stuffed mushrooms from Longhorn so I decided to give it a try.
2019-07-15_08-27-04 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
Start with pre cooking some of these fresh, delicious bad boys!
2019-07-15_08-27-16 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
Stems cut out, filled with pre packaged cheese spread, then bread crumbs and parmesan filling, sitting in a bed of a white wine cheese sauce.
2019-07-15_08-27-32 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
Topped with some more parm, then broiled for a couple of minutes till brown.
2019-07-15_08-27-48 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
MMM,MMM, Good!!!
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2019, 08:12:03 AM »
Not to waste anything, but I cut the stems up into smaller pieces, put them in a saute of red wine, butter, and garlic
2019-07-15_08-27-40 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
These were used as a topping for the steak!
2019-07-15_08-27-58 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2019, 12:57:20 PM »
Those look awesome! So, what's the website? Or are you keeping that to yourself??..  :-D

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2019, 12:59:32 PM »
Seems like a fungi.  I'm not even sorry for that one. :lol:  I love stuffed mushrooms, and fried mushrooms too.  Ooooh, and giant portobello that's been grilled.  Mmm.... 

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2019, 03:21:02 PM »
Try 'texasroadhouseathomeblogspot', I know this is not the TR recipe, but somehow that's whats popping up from what I saved in the favorites. I think I originally searched for 'longhorn stuffed mushroom recipe', that popped up in the website that has all of the rest. stuff.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2019, 08:59:17 PM »
Those look very tasty!  I love sauteed and stuffed mushrooms.........now I'm hungry lol

Reagan

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2019, 08:06:37 AM »
They were! The funny thing is, I had a craving for crab stuffed mushrooms. Being that I live in the Blue Crab capitol, and a few miles down the road from the Mushroom capitol figured I would whip up a batch. I have done so many times before faking my way through it. I always get the mushroom app. when we go to longhorn (which is maybe 2 times a year), so I looked that recipe up. Funny thing was THERE IS NO CRAB IN THIER MUSHROOMS!! I would have bet money there was. There were several revues on the site with others saying the same thing. I guess its the power of suggestions. They turned out great just the same. Next venture may be clams casino.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter