Author Topic: 80 TA lower tubular control arm absorber pocket not aligned  (Read 858 times)

Christian_GM

• Active Forum Member
80 TA lower tubular control arm absorber pocket not aligned
« on: February 16, 2019, 03:37:25 PM »
dear All,
I started y project back in 2007, it's a 1980 Firebird TA with 95 Camaro LT1 angine and 4L60E transmission
I did it on my garage with 4 stands,, left the project untouched for years
long story short I start put it back on the road... before colmpeting the body job.
I bought a full set of supsension upgrades from Dave in Summer 2008, I know more than 10 years ago.

I finally take out of my garage the car and put on a lift to see what’s wrong with the front coils hitting both sides of the frame on the back. To me looks like there is “something wrong” with the lower arms, they’re both putting the coil toward the back it’s not straight vertical as supposed to do. Rear arm bushing does not fit well in their location. The shock absorber also is not straight it is trying to move in the opposite direction.

I can’t really understand what’s wrong, it is not matter of cutting the frame.
I suppose I simply have a wrong set of lower control arm

Can you kindly help me?

Thank you so much, I appreciate

Below is a link with photo and video of the problem. And also the part number I bought back in 2008.

I know it’s a lot of time, but sometimes project takes longer.

Thank you

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gerezCtFFSAnYb4V9

67-81   OCF-801       
70-81   2CF-810       
70-81   2CF-821     
70-81   2CS-835     
70-81   2CS-450       
0CS-501         
1980 Trans Am Pace Car Clone Project
383 LT1 - 4L60E

Push the pedal to the metal!

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: 80 TA lower tubular control arm absorber pocket not aligned
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 12:49:01 AM »
Hard to tell but do you somehow have the control arms on the wrong side?  Also, make sure you have the spring sitting correctly in the upper frame pocket.

Christian_GM

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 01:48:06 AM »
I checked but it's not really possible
I checked 3 times everything, me and 2 skilled technicians,  and I'm really concerned, I don't find anything wrong istalled
I would be happy to swap simply side by side, easy fix, but this is not the case.
In other words the lower arm coil spring pocket is NOT center to the upper frame coil spring pocket, it's about 1" rearward
the coil spring is absolutely sitting correctly both up and down
thank you
I hope in Dave  to step in  :-D
383 LT1 - 4L60E

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 03:08:59 PM »
responded to your email, but the spring bucket is not in line with the hole inn the frame from the factory, this is to accommodate for the long stock spring bowing, shorter performance springs will stay straight, as I said in my email I no longer have the fixtures for those old A-arms, to check what had been moved from stock, I know poly bushings are a problem and that is why we don't use them anymore, but at the time that is all that was available.
As I said in my email I will try to help out to correct the problem.
www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

Christian_GM

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 12:43:34 AM »
well
I can't believe factory frame as such kind of difference from the factory, it's about 1"
https://photos.app.goo.gl/28cr5GCkwhXGKjQD8
here are some pictures with the car on the lift with it's own weight
maybe this helps
thank you, I will wait your feedback soon!
best regards
383 LT1 - 4L60E

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 12:43:34 AM »

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 07:42:39 AM »
those arms are around 8 years old, I'm trying to help, but I'm not expecting to be told that I'm making things up either.
www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

Christian_GM

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 07:55:15 AM »
those arms are around 8 years old, I'm trying to help, but I'm not expecting to be told that I'm making things up either.

I know! but if for some reason they don't fit... they don't  :-? :-? :-?
anyway, let's see what we can do to put it on the road!
tnx
383 LT1 - 4L60E

Christian_GM

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 10:39:14 AM »
Hello Dave
I sourced one used 79 lower arm in perfect shape. I aligned the 3 fixed points (bushings and ball joint) and it's clear that for some reason your arms were built with wrong coil pocket size.
Sometimes shits happens, I'm in the business since 98, I know. I'm ok with that.
But you've an excellent reputation, you've always been helping your customer worldwide.
I hope you will tell me ASAP how you can handle this.
See link with the photo I did my best
Thanks a lot
Best regards
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YNxz8gjeTNfBXvFJ7
383 LT1 - 4L60E

Christian_GM

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 06:09:37 AM »
dear Dave,
you say you should able to help but you don't say how and when.
can you kindly explain?
thank you
383 LT1 - 4L60E

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 10:00:47 AM »
Christian, it took you 6 years+ to tell me about a problem on items that have a ONE YEAR WARRANTY, I told you on 2 different forums 2 emails and a FB message that I would help and you continue to push for something I don't have an answer for, I asked that you give me time to find out what the problems are, I told you in my very first response email that I don't have those old fixtures anymore to compare with the new arms.

I asked you to take down these posts because you are trying to strong arm me, you take pictures on an angle so things look miss aligned.

You work for a GM dealer does GM warranty things 5 past the expiration?! NO they don't, yet I'm trying to help despite your jump to conclusions.

Bottom line is I need to figure out the exact cause or you will have the same problem again.

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 11:37:51 AM »
Well after further talk with Christian ( who is in Italy by the way) I find out things are not tightened up and the car is not complete with full weight on it so I'm not going to sit here and badger but I was also being pushed into believing that I had to fix a problem that turns out may not exist.

Now I say "may" not because our lower A-arms are not exact copies of stock, we have subtle changes that are either necessary or needed to improve geometry and/or performance, the reality also is that tolerances are such that the combinations of the changes we make and stacked tolerances on the frame can cause some misalignment but not to the degree it was portrayed here.

Again I will help Christian to the best of my abilities.

Thank you
Dave

Christian_GM

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 02:01:11 PM »
hello guys,
I had a very nice conversation with Dave. I'm not in a rush to fix it, but I was in rush to understand if something need to be done before going to body shop
I mean, frame modification, besides it's not the way I like
we both agreed to complete the car, load with weight and see what happen.
I really hope that will be enough to have clearance, if not Dave promised to help figure out, and I thruly believe him
hope this experience can help to all the comunity
thank you so much again!
383 LT1 - 4L60E

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 09:03:51 AM »
hello guys,
I had a very nice conversation with Dave. I'm not in a rush to fix it, but I was in rush to understand if something need to be done before going to body shop
I mean, frame modification, besides it's not the way I like
we both agreed to complete the car, load with weight and see what happen.
I really hope that will be enough to have clearance, if not Dave promised to help figure out, and I thruly believe him
hope this experience can help to all the comunity
thank you so much again!

Thank you Christian.

Christian_GM

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 07:15:23 AM »
hello
I had the time to remove one of the PTFB lower arms, and I put in place one used original GM Arm
I left the other parts (PTFB coil and upper arm)
now, everything lines up correctly, even if the car is not ready to drive yet, it's clear that something gone wrong with manufacturing process of the lower arm. I'm fine, I know sometimes mistakes happens.
I'm sure that Dave will honor his reputation and replace those lower arms at no costs, except the shipping and duties.
let's see what happen next.
thank you!
383 LT1 - 4L60E

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 08:06:18 PM »
Christian! those arms are YEARS out of warranty (over 6 years) yet I publicly said I would help you out, and I did, what you don't understand and you are trying to claim that something is wrong even after I explained why your spring is touching the frame.

Again those control arms are not exact replicas of stock ones, the spring pocket is deeper and because you don't have all the weight on the front of the car the bottom of the spring is pulled inboard combine that with shorter springs that don't bow out and variations in the frame that is were you have a perceived problem.

But in any case I made you a new set, no they are not being made at no cost ( as you agreed) I also said I would make a set that better fit your application, moved the spring pocket out 3/16" and made it shallower (no built in drop).

They were shipped Monday.

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 08:06:18 PM »

Christian_GM

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 01:57:33 PM »
Italian Customs makes me happy holding the shipment 20 days
I received the arms and they looks awesome.
Really nice products on hand, weekend project will be to install them.
very good having reccomended alignment setting with instructions!
just 2 small question.
OEM torque to be applied to bolts? or different specs?
Dry fitting on bushing to frame or better to put some grease? (besides than greasing it later,)
thank you
bye
383 LT1 - 4L60E

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 01:57:33 PM »
You can help support TAC!