Author Topic: awesome new Delrin bearings.  (Read 228 times)

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
awesome new Delrin bearings.
« on: May 18, 2019, 09:39:21 AM »
PTFB is always on the hunt for better solutions to problems that plague the performance automotive world.
One of those problems come from using solid type bushings in lower A-arms, the factory rubber can be twisted, deformed and forced into place.
There are many reasons for this, wild factory tolerances, frame sag/twist, deformation from the mounting bolts.
Unfortunately when solid type bushings are used often times the lower A-arm will not fit into it mounts, I have customers that will call and say "one side fits and the other does not"

What is considered a solid A-arm bushing:
 solid steel, Delrin, Polyurethane, spherical bearings will also fall in this category because it has no lateral movement , ONLY RUBBER bushings have the ability to move laterally.

Solutions:
 spread the lower arm mounting ears, simple tool can be made or bought from LAB-14 or PTFB
PTFB has developed a Delrin BEARING (nut a bushing) for it's tubular lower arms that make the width of the arm adjustable +/- 1/4" in 1/8" increments.

The new design BEARING also reduces friction and has a much larger rotating surface for the high loads created by modern tires.
The low friction of these bearings make your sway, springs and shocks much more effective and for drag racers it improves front end lift.

www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

78TA_In87

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: awesome new Delrin bearings.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 10:16:54 AM »
Hi Dave,

I'm posting the picture down below in hopes it jogs your memory in remembering my situation that you did a great job in supporting me.  As you can see, the, control arms would not mount so you made new ones for me (about a year ago).  Seems like when the shop finally were able to mount it, they added some shiny rectangular metal shimmies or washers because the ears were a little too spread out.  I'm not crazy about the idea, being afraid the spacers may rust or even fall out.  It looked like a major hack job (I need to take another closer once I get the car back from shop #3).  Is that what you are saying your product can help me with?  If so, I would like to order it.  If you need more information, i can get the mechanic to take some pics.

PONTIAC - We (Did) Build EXCITEMENT!!

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 10:42:37 AM »
yes that is what it corrects, but I thought we made you another set of arms that were narrower?
I'm not sure the new bushings would fit the old arms, the new sleeves are precision machined for the Delrin bearings, the old ones were bushings and did not need to be high precision.
www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

silver78

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 12:27:54 PM »
 Very AWSOME! Nice solution to an old problem.
MY BUILD THREAD:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=41850.0

Previous builds:
65 Galaxie sold
67 camaro RS sold
68 camaro RS sold
69 camaro sold
72 Nova SS
81 T/A 4 spd sold
86 IROC sold
88 Formula 350 sold
92 Z-28 sold
93 9C1 Caprice sold