Author Topic: 98 Trans Am no clutch pedal after bleeding?  (Read 209 times)

ZWILD1

• Forum Member
98 Trans Am no clutch pedal after bleeding?
« on: January 09, 2019, 09:09:20 PM »
My son is having issues with his 98 Trans Am. He has to warm the car up a bit before he can get into all the gears. Reverse is giving him most of the trouble. Once it warms up he can get into all the gears. So he drove to my house to use the garage. He wanted me to help him bleed the system. After he said it was doing ok once it warmed up I wanted to say just leave it alone till you are ready to install a new master, slave, and clutch kit. So we got it in the air and I crawled under the car to open the bleeder valve and he worked the pedal. The fluid in the slave was black and water like. I got it running clear clean fluid. But no clutch at all. I watched a few videos on using a vacuum bleeder to suck air out of the system but still no clutch pedal. It seemed like air bubbles just keep coming. I'm thinking it's the slave cylinder. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My one question is do you bleed the system with the top on the reservoir or closed?

81Blackbird

• Active Forum Member
Re: 98 Trans Am no clutch pedal after bleeding?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 06:56:33 AM »
First you can bleed with the cover on or off.  The diaphragm will compensate for the loss of fluid just don't let it go dry.
As far as the air bubbles, obviously air is getting past a seal.  If you have a quick disconnect between the master and the slave, disconnect it.  Hook up
the vacuum system and if you are pulling air the seal in the slave may be bad.  If it holds,  I would lean toward the master.  If it were me, and I have all
the parts in hand I would just change out the whole system.  The only hydraulic clutch I have had issues with was in my Ranger with similar problems, so
please take the suggestions with a grain of salt.  Others will more experience on the topic will chime in.     

ZWILD1

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 11:59:03 AM »
Thank you for the reply. I will disconnect the line going to the slave. Personally I think it let go when we attempted to bleed the system. That fluid had been cooking from all the heat the clutch and flywheel create. It hadn't been touched since he bought the car quite a few years ago. I told him he can get everything for a good price from Carolina Clutch, including a new flywheel. I figure a stock replacement is good enough for his driving. The car has long tube headers and three inch exhaust, along with the LS6 intake and some other goodies. If you go on YouTube and look up, Dry Vacuum Bleeding a Clutch Hydraulic Release System, you will find a video put out by ( Clutch Tech Support ). It's specifically covering the Ford Ranger issues. They also have a hot line and also talk about the Camaro and Trans Am clutch bleeding.

81Blackbird

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 12:05:52 PM »
Thanks,  I will check it out when I get home.

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 12:05:52 PM »
You can help support TAC!