Author Topic: Rotisserie Mounting? Pinch welds?????  (Read 237 times)

Doright

• Active Forum Member
Rotisserie Mounting? Pinch welds?????
« on: January 06, 2019, 12:41:02 PM »
I am working with multiple 2nd Gen Firebirds
Has anyone ever Mounted a 2nd gen on a Rotisserie from the pinch welds ???? Both Front and rear????

I am in Process of making the mounts to do it Now.
But am now starting to think maybe the roll center will be to low and its gonna be too Top heavy when I try to roll it over? 

Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither!
B. Franklin

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
Re: Rotisserie Mounting? Pinch welds?????
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 07:15:29 PM »
I don't know the answer for sure, but I'm curious...Why the pinch welds?  Wouldn't you normally mount from like the bumper holes on the rear frame?
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am
Build thread - http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=69897.0

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 10:23:58 PM »
Well the Tail panel is off due to replacing the Trunk floor in one piece.
The Trunk pan is Just tacked in at this time, But Tail panel is still off.

I want to leave it off till I get the Trunk drop offs in like I want them to do that I want to get the car on its side. 

Plus I think its better for the Body less Stress on the Unibody.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 10:26:48 PM by Doright »
Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 11:22:26 AM »
I cant believe no one has ever tried this before.
No opinions good bad idea?
Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 01:30:35 PM »
If you could get a good grip and you are sure it wouldn't come loose then go for it. As you build your mounts just make sure it ends up in the center line of the body and you will keep the center of gravity, well, in the center.

We are talking about a real rotisserie and not a wooden roll buck, right?
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 01:30:35 PM »

mz-formula

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 02:32:42 PM »
I designed and built my rotisserie.  Are you talking about the pinch welds under the rocker?   Not sure where you are trying to grab.

Roll center wise rough idea wise, on the front you are about even with the top of the cowl.  In the back pretty close to the trunk lock cylinder.   I can get measurements when I get home of that helps.  Feel free to root thru my build if it helps for body mounting info or dimensions.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 09:05:29 PM by mz-formula »

Doright

• Active Forum Member
If you could get a good grip and you are sure it wouldn't come loose then go for it. As you build your mounts just make sure it ends up in the center line of the body and you will keep the center of gravity, well, in the center.

We are talking about a real rotisserie and not a wooden roll buck, right?

Yes its a Real Rotisserie Its a Titan 4500
https://titanlifts.com/titan-automotive-rotisserie-rot-4500

I went ahead and Reinforced the Main T arm Horizontally and Vertically.
I felt the metal was just too thin to support The long mount legs I made for it.
I felt that it Might try to twist the T
My mount legs are 6 foot long to reach the Pinch welds on the Bottom of the rockers.
I haven't bothered to do the Math but I know that will be a Lot of Torque on that T.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 08:51:44 PM by Doright »
Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

mz-formula

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 09:32:41 PM »
Knowing you are going for the lower rocker joint, personally I would be extremely leary about tipping it using only a squeezing / pinch on method of fastening.   With a bolted connection, you have a steel shaft thru a hole.  If something gets loose, that bolt shaft is in the way of it falling off.   If you are only pinching down on that 1/2 lip hanging down and your connection slips or comes off .. you are suddenly wearing a car shell or dropping it if you are lucky enough to not be under it .

I would be looking at holes in the body and framework to grab on that are already there to use.   The front body mounts are an awesome place to grab.  From the back end, without grabbing the bumper or rear spring shacle hole, I would shoot for the side snubber mount holes in the frame.  Use all 3 holes on both sides.  The front torque boxes (spring pockets) if they are solid should be a good bet too, but even with the torque boxes, your getting so far away from the axis of the rotisserie, that your lever arm is going to be huge and would not take much to potentially bend things .  I just don't want to see you or your car get hurt.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:10:25 AM by mz-formula »

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 11:16:13 AM »
As I said above yes the Mount arms are long so yes there will be a Very strong twisting action going into the T section of the Rotisserie, that's why I reinforced it with More metal internally both Vertically and horizontally to confront the Twisting motion on the T frame of the Rotisserie.
I went and drilled holes through the original steel so I could Plug weld to the Reinforcing pieces to make them one piece.
I Think that part will now work. I am sure I can grab the cars weight without hurting the Rotisserie now. and as far as mounting it to the Pinch welds goes I plan too use simple L channel on both side's of the Pinch weld with 1/4 inch bolts Through the L section's and the Pinch weld so no fear of the car slipping or falling off the the Rotisserie.

Now it comes down too will The center of gravity be too far off to allow me to roll over without just flopping over when I try to turn it on its side? 
I emailed Titan about my plan BUT I haven't gotten an email back from them not sure I ever will at this point.
Also The Rotisserie never came with any instructions Just a few boxes of steel that was it, nothing about how to put it together nothing about mounting nothing about leveling nothing about warnings NOTHING!

The Rotisserie has a Balance adjuster on both up right T sections to make balance adjustments when leveling but I have no idea how its supposed to be used. I figured I will use a Level on the upper side of the Rocker panel and level from there.

Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 12:33:46 PM »
I think people have done that on many types of cars with a rotisserie that has its own frame end to end.  If I was going to do that, I would pick the subframe mounting points, and I would reach out and grab the leaf spring pocket.  I would feel pretty safe with that.

I have not done it.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 04:30:45 PM »
I cant believe no one has ever tried this before.

After waiting 2 days on a forum only some occasionally glance at, those that are online.

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 05:56:16 PM »
I think people have done that on many types of cars with a rotisserie that has its own frame end to end. 

Ya A full frame is the way to go! I dont know why I didn't see it before!
I just got done Fabricating up the Rear legs and up rights I see it now, A Full frame is the way to go.
The Legs just Droop to much for my liking It will work don't get me wrong.
But A full frame and Pinch weld attachment is the right way to do it in my opinion.
Keeps from putting to much stress into the Uni body in my opinion.
After all when body shops work on a Car in a Collision shop on a Frame machine how do the Mount the car? the Pinch welds!

I am going out in the morning to pick up some more steel. Its gonna work nice I can see it now.
Wish I could have seen some pics before I started would have made it cheaper  :?
I wouldn't have had to worry about Beefing up the T section.
In the end I am going to have two 6 foot Legs and Two 7 or 8 footers haven't decided yet.
Then I will Have a slip Joint to hold them together.
I will center the car on sliding Up rights on the Frame rails to the Pinch welds.

It will Be very strong and Very Sturdy and work on most any car or Truck.
All this Heavy square tube cutting I am doing gave a new tool I have to get...... a Horizontal Band saw!
I have a Chop saw and it just aint cutting it on these thick Tubes.
Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 08:38:12 PM »
Well its on there on a whole frame one set of 6 foot legs and another with 8 foot legs held together with a 1 foot sliding splice bolted down.
The 8 foot legs are .250 wall the 6 footers are .188 together they kinda bow wish I had just used whole pieces instead of trying to splice it together with a slip joint in the middle. or maybe use a longer slip joint? the Bow is not real bad but I don't like it either I wanted a solid square frame. oh well live and learn.

Any way my first time setting one up and it does spin still need to play with it a little tomorrow before moving on too the work on the car.
Sorry no pics my battery's are dead in my camera I will get some tomorrow.   

Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 09:55:28 AM »
Please do post some pictures.  Sounds interesting.  How big is the tubing?  I know 3" square wouldn't sag, but I didn't do any calcs on that.  The bare hull weighs maybe 500 pounds.  Probably less.

if you look online for non-unibody cars on a rotisserie, you'll see some framed ones.  The body mounts give you something to hang onto when the car is upside down.

I went looking for pictures of a full framed rotisserie and they're not as common as I thought.  check this one out:
http://www.heartlandlasercreations.com/67%20Convertible%20Rotisserie.htm
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 08:36:08 PM »

Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 08:36:08 PM »