Author Topic: new taller scoop project.  (Read 1097 times)

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
new taller scoop project.
« on: January 03, 2019, 06:07:07 PM »
New project I'm working on, reviving the Dude scoop, I tried to buy the molt from Ken a few years ago but the shop that was making them for him closed and he could not get it back so this is my next iron in the fire LOL

www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: new taller scoop project.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 09:03:15 PM »
I have heard of these. What's the reason behind it? Was a tall scoop a fad that I missed? If that is your plug, it looks nice.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 09:40:45 PM »
I think it was just to give a larger hole for air entry, I wanted also to be able to put a taller filter with our deep drop base.
www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 09:46:56 PM »
Personally I never liked them but it's one of those "like it or hate it" things.

Regards, Jack

nate428t/a

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 07:12:15 AM »
Being in the midst of battle between the forces of hood and intake, I'm interested, but it seems like it would look pretty awkward.

'79 T/A
428 Engine

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 07:12:15 AM »

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 08:01:01 AM »
This part is not being made to address function not form, there is at this point no other good way to increase air flow and air filter size, we have cars with 500+hp to deal with on a regular basis, I'm also looking at remaking the HO super scoop, it was a top hood mounted scoop.

nate428t/a

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 08:36:19 AM »
This part is not being made to address function not form, there is at this point no other good way to increase air flow and air filter size, we have cars with 500+hp to deal with on a regular basis, I'm also looking at remaking the HO super scoop, it was a top hood mounted scoop.

Didn't mean to come off sounding critical there, folks like yourself have done yeoman's work trying to solve the shaker puzzle.  I'm about one more complication away from throwing in the towel on it myself.
'79 T/A
428 Engine

Dreamn2

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 10:28:50 AM »
I have an H-0 Super Scoop. :cool:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 08:58:41 AM by Dreamn2 »
79 Fire Am
76 Fire Am
79 W72 Formula

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 03:56:00 PM »

Didn't mean to come off sounding critical there, folks like yourself have done yeoman's work trying to solve the shaker puzzle.  I'm about one more complication away from throwing in the towel on it myself.

Don't worry I didn't take it that way, just stating I have to go for function not form to be able to serve the needs of the high powered cars, the Super scoop may be another option for you but does not shake.

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 06:54:03 PM »
I think it is a good idea.  Anything that will admit more air is good and give a taller column above the carb is will help.
1979 TATA Extreme TKO .64
Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Edelbrock intake; open scoop; modified Q-jet; Powermaster 150; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 06:59:30 PM »
I think it is a good idea.  Anything that will admit more air is good and give a taller column above the carb is will help.

But our air filter is a conventional type filter, after going over improvements in filters one of the manufacturers mad a very valid point a top/lid filter is like a sift dirt just sits above the carb and hi-perf filters don't filter to as small a particle size as paper filters do and with the vibration of the engine all the grit that is sitting on top of the filter works its way down and into the engine.

SP Steve

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 04:13:43 AM »
My 74 Trans Am has the old Butler air pan for the Performer RPM, the scoop sticks up about 2" higher than stock.  Personally I like how it looks.  I wonder how this taller scoop would look if the air cleaner base could be lowered so the top of the scoop would be close to the same height?  A guy could use a smaller diameter but taller air filter and K&N style air filter top and probably increase the filter area.

Scoop01" border="0

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 09:57:31 AM »
Dave, are you planning on making two different versions that resemble the stock shakers?

John Paige
Lab-14.com

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 01:04:54 PM »
Dave, are you planning on making two different versions that resemble the stock shakers?

as we speak I just took a break from the mold making, have to kill another hour before I can lay up the tooling gel coat.
First is the "dude" scoop, next on the agenda may be to make an tall version of the early scoop, there is nothing available to copy so it will need to be made from scratch.

I may have access to an early H-O Superscoop as well, I'm also going to ask someone that has a 77-81 HO Superscoop if I can morrow it to make a mold ...we shall see.

Bluebandit

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 03:11:12 PM »

[/quote]
But our air filter is a conventional type filter, after going over improvements in filters one of the manufacturers mad a very valid point a top/lid filter is like a sift dirt just sits above the carb and hi-perf filters don't filter to as small a particle size as paper filters do and with the vibration of the engine all the grit that is sitting on top of the filter works its way down and into the engine.
[/quote]

Well that pretty well confirms my suspicion about the filtered air lids, I had the same concerns when I first saw them. Its hard to beat a good paper style filter as long as you can provide enough filter area to keep it from becoming restrictive.
How much taller is the Dude scoop over stock, looks like a couple inches?

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 03:11:12 PM »

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 10:49:04 AM »
Bluebandit, high flow filters are a bit of a compromise as I've had to get familiar with them in more depth now that I have my own filters made, and I got a little involved with turbo diesels in the past few years, come to find out turbos compressor wheels are very sensitive to dirt and many street long term use truck guys won't use the gauze type filters if it's a direct feed into the turbo inlet , you need a void between the filter and the intake inlet what ever that inlet may be, carb, turbo, supercharger.

a standard type filter arrangement as in older cars, say a 14X4 round perimeter filter does have a void, filter top do not the filter is in direct line with the intake entrance and with a filter top to make maters worse gravity is working against you.

My point is you can still use a gauze type filter in place of your stock one.

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 05:38:45 PM »
well we got the tooling gel coat and first layer of glass on the mold.

SP Steve

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2019, 11:45:19 PM »
I'd really like to see one of these with the complete system, base, filter, scoop installed on a car.  Any chance these get molded with the short snorkel on the back like my 74 shaker has?

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 10:53:08 AM »
I'd really like to see one of these with the complete system, base, filter, scoop installed on a car.  Any chance these get molded with the short snorkel on the back like my 74 shaker has?

Not exactly sure what you mean by short snorkle?
I will be trying to offer a complete assembly ones I source out all the parts.

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 11:27:14 AM »
I think he may just be referring to the 70-76 style shaker scoop Dave vs the later style you're working on now.

A few years ago I'd intended to make a "tall" early style and bought a couple damaged early style shakers on Ebay. Plan was to cut them both horizontally at different heights then bond back together, smooth them off, to create a plug for a mold.

I looked at modern materials used to create motorcycle and off road air cleaner filters you might research for your project. The tech has advanced a lot in recent years.

I already had too many things going on between Lab-14 products, my car projects, house projects, medical issues, etc. etc. etc. so I sold the shakers and moved on.
John Paige
Lab-14.com

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 09:13:51 PM »
we have a mold made ...whoo hoo!!!

olds403

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 09:22:43 PM »
Nice Dave....

Do you envision this scoop working on Non-Pontiac motors? 
What I want to try is your drop base on an Olds with high rise intake using the Pontiac shaker base.
The intake is an Olds modified RPM intake / fast throttle body / injectors in rails.   

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 10:12:59 PM »
Nice Dave....

Do you envision this scoop working on Non-Pontiac motors? 
What I want to try is your drop base on an Olds with high rise intake using the Pontiac shaker base.
The intake is an Olds modified RPM intake / fast throttle body / injectors in rails.

yes it can be done you rivet a Pontiac metal bottom to the fiberglass scoop along with our deep drop base and it works.

olds403

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 08:36:36 PM »
Thanks Dave !

SP Steve

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 10:37:13 AM »

Not exactly sure what you mean by short snorkle?
I will be trying to offer a complete assembly ones I source out all the parts.

By snorkle I mean the shape of the rear of the scoop.  I'd be interested in a scoop with the early rounded shape.

Snorkle" border="0

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 04:12:26 PM »
Steve , yes I'm working on that too.

I am serious about getting this done, today I got a gel coat gun and ordered a Chopper gun too, bagging equipment is next.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 07:54:12 PM »
Why a chopper gun for that small of a part. I'm no fiberglass expert but aren't rolls just as easy? I can see the flexibility of changing the strand length and only having one one product that can be used for multiple applications.  That may be the reason.  This is just a question as I have always wanted to do more with fiberglass and find it interesting. Thanks for all you do too. I have bought many of your items over the years.

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2019, 12:27:15 PM »
why a chopper gun?...hint   :shock: 8)  :P  :lol:

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2019, 12:53:10 PM »
Ah.... I see. I thought that was a bit much if just using it on the scoop.

highway star

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2019, 11:03:17 PM »
I bolted clamps on the hood ribs to hold the scoop to the hood. Opened the back of the scoop and
currently using the new black edition Edelbrock Pro-Flo air cleaner. I guess it gets plenty of air this way.

nate428t/a

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2019, 06:32:48 AM »
Looking good.
'79 T/A
428 Engine

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2019, 07:59:39 AM »
I bolted clamps on the hood ribs to hold the scoop to the hood. Opened the back of the scoop and
currently using the new black edition Edelbrock Pro-Flo air cleaner. I guess it gets plenty of air this way.

there are plenty of folks doing it that way, but many want their shaker scoop to shake but with the type of power that is being these days  larger air filters are in order.

olds403

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2019, 05:47:08 PM »

Thanks Dave. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 05:52:45 PM by olds403 »

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2019, 05:29:05 PM »
pulled the first one out of the mold, it turned out nice, next is to fix the extensions I had to make so they are not so visible.

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2019, 08:35:55 PM »
the first prototype scoop was test fitted on a car.

BEFORE

AFTER

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2019, 08:35:55 PM »
You can help support TAC!