Author Topic: Need opinions on moving pods  (Read 242 times)

Mac

• Active Forum Member
Need opinions on moving pods
« on: November 06, 2018, 07:33:10 PM »
Little story to tell you all were I'm at.
I just got back from visiting my mom and dad in South Carolina. Sadly my dads health is declining. I've been trying to get down there as much as possible to see him. It's a very tough time for him.

My dad owned a auto repair business back in the 70s and 80s here in Massachusetts. He sold the business and retired, my mom and dad moved to South Carolina. He took 90% of his tools and supplies with him and made a little shop in the barn. For years he enjoyed retirement and tinkering around on cars and other stuff. Now that he's not in the best of health he can no longer work on cars, and use the tools he treasures. Believe me he treasures them. He holds on to the keys that lock the tool chests and shop all the time.

He's always said everything in the shop is mine when he passes. Well this last visit he told me take all of it. He wants me to have all his tools and supplies. I was able to get him out of the house and to his shop, were he hadn't been in three month because of his health. He was so exited and we both went through each draw in his tool boxes. As we did he would say, you know what that tool is for, and he would tell me and give me a short story how he relied on that tool to get the job done. Hold me how he would tear down engines rebuild them and reinstall all them and how his shop was one of the rare shops that actually did every auto repair from A to Z.

Well after reminiscing and bringing some tears to both our eyes, he said I want you to have all this. I want you to move this to your garage so you can work on your cars. He has 5 Snap on tool chest tops and bottoms full, and several other cabinets with tools and supplies.

Now that you've read my story, and it has a lot more to it, thank you. Does anyone know what's the best way to move the tools and supplies from SC to Ma? Has anyone used a pod? I have thought about renting and driving but by the time I rent a truck time spent driving would it be worth just having everything shipped. Has anyone done something like this and what would the cost be?
The Never Ending Punch List!

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Need opinions on moving pods
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 06:50:42 AM »
Sorry to hear of your dads decline in health. Never had to move anything like that for such a long distance, but I would check with some moving company's. I dont know if one of the portable pods has the ability to 'tie' things down and secure properly but they would be worth checking. This is just my opinion and I hope I dont come off wrong, But, if it were me I would not move anything until the worst has happened. I know he gave his blessing for you to have the tools but him seeing those things getting packed into a truck will be devastating.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

airpirate

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 08:21:19 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about your dads health, to your question , yes pods are great, they drop it off , you fill it and secure the contents (plenty of tie down access) put a kick on it and they pick it up and transport to new location

78 TA 6.6 W72 WS6
10 Land Rover
08 Dodge Ram
15 Ford Edge
03 Indian Motorcycle

73ta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 03:43:58 PM »
So sorry, but it's great that he has you to pass down his treasured items. My dad passed 5 years ago and I got all of his tools. Still brings a smile and tear to my eyes when I am working in the garage and I grab a wrench with his name engraved on it!

pancho400cid

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Viva los PONCHOS!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 05:41:02 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your dad's health as well.

My only comment about the pods is I'm guessing they are used to moving household furniture/items.

Tool boxes are waaayyyyy heavier/more dense.  They will also end up making the pods more top heavy than usual I'd suspect.  Find out how much they can lift and be sure you are under it.  Tell them what you are doing an get their input.  Also be sure the boxes can't roll in the pod obviously.

Use the tools in good health.  Everybody's window closes a little each day.
1978 Trans Am - Chesterfield Brown - current project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - SOLD!

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 05:41:02 PM »

79GoldnTan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 07:09:25 PM »
Sorry to here. Something that valuable I think I would have to move myself. I also think I would wait till the worst happens.just my thoughts.....
79 solar gold    
461.   Factory 4 speed
PTFB SFC
PTFB 1LE
3.08 rear  for now
Lots O Fun

silvert/a

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 07:17:24 PM »
You don't realize the importance of family relationships until one's parents start to go down in health. I, too, want to express my sympathy at  your dad's condition. I can see what Roadking 77 is saying and to make things muddier I might add that he might be interested in hearing how you are able to use the tools he treasured and how that  now has passed on to the next generation. Just another viewpoint, not trying to say one is more correct htan another.
Mark                                                                                                                  1978 Silver Trans Am 400 Automatic1967 Firebird 326 3 speed manual

Mac

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 09:29:34 PM »
Thank you all.  Believe me I've thought about how it would effect him if I take them now, but after spending time with him the last few days I'm more than positive he wants to make sure they go to me. He knows how I treasure things and I've expressed how much having his tools would always remind me of him. Amazing how each tool has his initials engraved in them.
Again thank you all..its going to be a tough road ahead for him and my mom, being so far away makes things even tougher but it's not about me and I have to do whatever it takes to help, I'm lucky I have a lot of vacation time accumulated.  :sad:

Chewey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 07:39:02 PM »
Watching someone you once thought was invincible decline is a tough pill to swallow no doubt, and I'm sorry to hear you are going through that. I've never used a pod, but like others have mentioned, I'd be concerned about their weight capacity. The only similar service I've used is uShip. I contracted with an independent driver to tow my trailer filled with my personal belongings (including a bunch of tools). The carrier didn't care what was in the trailer as long as the trailer was in good enough shape to make the trip, was loaded with the appropriate amount of tongue weight and was within the total weight capacity of the trailer. It may be good excuse to buy a trailer and use it to move the tools. If you don't need or want the trailer you can always resell it as they don't really depreciate. If you find a good deal on one you could probably even sell it for more than you bought it for. Just throwing out ideas. Another service I've looked at but not used is ABF. They will drop a trailer at your house and you fill it (similar to a pod) then they come pick it up and haul it to the destination. I'm not sure what the pricing is like, but it's more likely they would be able to handle the weight associated with moving a lot of tools.
-mike

78 Trans Am 400 Auto (Dec 06 HPP)
76 Trans Am 455/4sp w/ t-tops (1 of 110)
02 Trans Am CETA Convertible M6 #1949 (sold)

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 08:02:48 PM »
Mac, I'm sorry to hear about your dad, but don't give up and lose faith, hopefully he recovers.

Having met you, I understand why your father wants you to have his tools and I actually think it will make him happy to see the tools go to you now.

You got good advise about the pods, use your vacation time, spent some time with him, bring the tools back home and sent him pictures with the tools set up in your garage and being used.

Please let me know if I can help in anyway.

Regards, Jack

Mac

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 08:27:54 PM »
Thank you Jack.

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 10:46:33 PM »
It's great that you have that relationship.

I have not used pods, but honestly, I would not trust anybody to do that sort of a job.  I started a long time ago doing for myself things that I really cared about doing for myself.  I've enjoyed it.  I walk away from whatever my responsibilities are and I just do it.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

Mac

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 06:25:57 PM »
It's great that you have that relationship.

I have not used pods, but honestly, I would not trust anybody to do that sort of a job.  I started a long time ago doing for myself things that I really cared about doing for myself.  I've enjoyed it.  I walk away from whatever my responsibilities are and I just do it.

Good advice thank you

Mac

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: Today at 06:57:25 PM »
Heading back down south with my son, my dads in good spirit but having tough days. I actually got a call from a friend of my dads the other day. He said he plans on visiting my dad. He said he'll be heading to Florida this week. Him and his wife are bringing a car down for a friend. On the way back north their going to stop at my mom and dads for a visit. My dad told him I was looking to move some of his tools to Ma. He told my dad his truck has a cap and his trailer will be empty, but he's in no shape for lifting and loading tools.

So I booked a flight for me and my son and after turkey day we're heading down. I'm actuality glad to get down to see him again more than anything. He's really exited we're heading back down, and thrilled his buddy is swinging by for a visit. We're staying a week this time, but I only have one day to load everything his buddy isn't staying overnight.

I plan on throwing him some money, I was thinking like $300.00 it's the least I can do. Should pay for gas and maybe dinner for him and his wife. I'm sure he'll refuse but he's taking it.

« Reply #13 on: Today at 06:57:25 PM »
You can help support TAC!