Author Topic: Yearone's 18inch Snowflake Rim Nightmare  (Read 3388 times)

evob

• Active Forum Member
Yearone's 18inch Snowflake Rim Nightmare
« on: October 20, 2018, 07:26:44 AM »
----I have gotten the pictures working----

I wanted to tell everyone the experience that I am going through with Yearone right now. I also wanted to help warn and educated potential customers on things to look out for when buying Yearone’s snowflake wheels. I bought my snowflake rims on June 26th and decided I wanted an 18x8 inch size rim, and paid about $2,000 with shipping, taxes, and even bought the shipping protection for a whole $2.50. When you stop and look at the big picture, you realize this is quite a bit of money for 4 rims, and at that price I expect to be getting a great set of rims.

The rims arrived at my doorstep on August 20th. The boxes looked like they were fine and survived the journey. After opening them up, everything looked great, except for some problems. First thing I noticed was that they were very dirty. They had a layer of dust or dirt on them already, not the best first impression. After wiping down the rims with rag; which was a new yellow rag was now half black, I started to look over the rims a little closer, now that they were clean. It didn’t take long before I started seeing problems with the rims. I found nicks around the edges, one of the rims was bent; and the bend wasn’t from shipping, and the worst part of it all was I found porosity. The reason I know it is because I work at a company that machines products, and we see porosity all the time from the Chinese foundries. One of the rims was covered in porosity, I circled all of the areas that had porosity, and I couldn’t believe it made it out of the factory.

The next day, August 21st, I contacted Yearone about the problems. They asked for some pictures and told me who to send the pictures too.  Couple days past and I got a call from Yearone saying that they were working on a solution. Another couple days past and Yearone emailed me and said that the manufacture; US Wheel, would take the wheels back and “Rework” them. This instantly set off alarms in my head. The first thing I thought of, was that in order to remove porosity would be to remove material, I was not a fan of that Idea. I sent the wheel back to US Wheel; on their dime, on August 25th, hoping that the process wouldn’t take too long.
After some time had passed I checked the shipping information and got my tracking numbers. The wheels had arrived at US Wheel on August 31st, but no one from US Wheel or Yearone notified me that they had arrived.

Some more time passed and I hadn’t heard anything from Yearone, so I called them and talked with the same person who had been helping me from the beginning. She didn’t have an update for me, so I told her I would call back in a week and check in every so often. Well now it is October 20th, and I still have no rims. On October 18th Yearone said that the rims where on their way back from the polisher.

So far this has been my experience with Yearone and their rims. I am not sure if anyone else has run into this before or not, but if you plan on buying Yearone's wheels, make sure you look them over very closely. I understand that Yearone is kind of stuck in the middle on this, but they should really be pushing US Wheels to move this process along. Yearone just seems to be dragging their feet on this whole issue and doesn't seem to really care about the issue. I hope that this will help others who are getting their wheels on things to look for because if you find porosity on your wheels, then that is not a good thing and they should be sent back, and fixed, or else they will not last for years to come on your trans am.

Wheels Arrive:

Wheel Packaging:

Wheel Wrapping:

Wheel Nick:

Wheel Porosity 1:

Wheel Porosity 2:

Wheel Porosity 3:

Worst Porosity Rim:

Wheel Bent:

« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 04:03:57 PM by evob »

langss

• Active Forum Member
Re: Yearone's 18inch Snowflake Rim Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 07:50:18 PM »
For the amount of money you spent, personally I would not accept any reworked wheel. I bought GTA wheels from Classic Industries for considerably less money. I didn't notice they gave me the wrong offset until I got home with them. Almost 150 mile round trip to exchange them, but Classic  was totally standup and exchanged them on the spot no questions asked. I might add that it was more than 6mos after I had bought them.

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 09:17:18 PM »
Sorry to hear.......the way you describe them, they sound a lot like they may have been display stock. I've never seen dirty wheels come out of a box. I bought a set of YO 17" x 9" Honeycombs and they came out of the box pristine. Personally, I think I would have taken pictures and shipped them back to YO for a refund......as it is now, you'll always be wondering how porous the castings are where you can't see.
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1968 Pontiac Firebird 428 5 speed coupe

Former Firebirds -
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 06:12:21 PM »

evob

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 06:16:29 PM »
Sorry to hear.......the way you describe them, they sound a lot like they may have been display stock. I've never seen dirty wheels come out of a box. I bought a set of YO 17" x 9" Honeycombs and they came out of the box pristine. Personally, I think I would have taken pictures and shipped them back to YO for a refund......as it is now, you'll always be wondering how porous the castings are where you can't see.
I thought about trying to dispute the rims with year one and get a refund. But to be honest, I do like the rims, and I want the rims. It is just for that price I want the rims to be flawless. Obviously they will never be perfect, but they could have done much better than they did.

For the amount of money you spent, personally I would not accept any reworked wheel. I bought GTA wheels from Classic Industries for considerably less money. I didn't notice they gave me the wrong offset until I got home with them. Almost 150 mile round trip to exchange them, but Classic  was totally standup and exchanged them on the spot no questions asked. I might add that it was more than 6mos after I had bought them.
Wow that's really awesome for them to do that for you. I obviously have not been that lucky yet ha.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 02:08:14 PM »
Don't ever look at cast rims, especially factory originals, they were never as perfect as those shown.

evob

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 04:39:10 PM »
Small update. On October 23rd. Yearone emailed me pictures of the rims asking if they were okay to ship. After looking at the pictures that were sent, I realized the pictures of were of someone else's billet aluminum rims. After bring this up to Yearone, they re-sent the emails of what looked like my rims. I couldn't really tell much from the pictures because they were not very detailed and close up. But the pictures were clear enough to zoom in on the pictures and tell what they looked like. Whatever kind of "Rework" that was done, looks good, but I have no idea what was done. I will have to wait till I get them in to see what was done.

Don't ever look at cast rims, especially factory originals, they were never as perfect as those shown.

That is true. But cast rims are exactly that, cast material. These rims have been machined. You should be able to see the porosity before sending the product to a customer.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 07:02:06 PM »
I still don't understand what you have ordered. Are YO now cleaning up and reselling display stock or returned rims with minor damage or faults in the finish, just 'corrected'. Or were you simply buying new rims off the shelf? Were the photos back and forth only after the initial wheels arrived and you reported their condition?

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 09:17:16 PM »
I don't know about that......
 My 78 TA had perfect wheels as does my 84 Z-28, the ZR1's on my 2000 Camaro SS. The 99 Z-28 that I had, although painted had no marks on them from the factory. The 2010 Mailbu 18" were perfect. The wheels on my 2015 Silverado are perfect. Even the cars I have bought previously owned, (86TA and 92RS) except for curb rash from the previous owner were perfect. I have bought Factory wheels to mount additional tires, and never found any defects.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 09:29:54 PM »
The factory wheels often had clamping marks around the edge from machining duties, or were machined to a level where the faces were grooved anyway and imperfections would not even be obvious. I hope the Chinese factory that makes the YO rims are different to those making cheap knock-offs for more recent cars, that shatter and break off the hub or take the whole edge off from a pothole. And when it comes to cost and price and profits, you already know the answer.

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 10:31:12 PM »
The factory wheels often had clamping marks around the edge from machining duties, or were machined to a level where the faces were grooved anyway and imperfections would not even be obvious. I hope the Chinese factory that makes the YO rims are different to those making cheap knock-offs for more recent cars, that shatter and break off the hub or take the whole edge off from a pothole. And when it comes to cost and price and profits, you already know the answer.
I never saw any clamping marks or any other machining imperfections, and I have seen the wheels, tires off. I will agree with you that "Profit" is the only "Motivator", and the sellers are only concerned with providing a product at a price point that they can make a profit. If they fail a few months/years after install.... oh well. That's why the better made aftermarket wheels (not made in China) are so pricey. I bought American Racing Wheels for my K5 Blazer Years ago, before they moved offshore, and they are only a few dollars less today, than I paid for them then, so that all has to be profit. And no I would not take any offshore wheel off road.....lol......

kev 190164

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 03:33:38 AM »
i bought my 17" yearone wheels about 5 year ago  when i opened the box i was dissapointed with them they had the odd mark and machining ring round the rims. know use me complaining as i live in the england i just took them to a wheel company and had them make them better than new

evob

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2018, 08:12:02 AM »
I still don't understand what you have ordered. Are YO now cleaning up and reselling display stock or returned rims with minor damage or faults in the finish, just 'corrected'. Or were you simply buying new rims off the shelf? Were the photos back and forth only after the initial wheels arrived and you reported their condition?

Yearone describes the wheels as, "These wheels are custom ordered and made per your specifications. They are non returnable." which can be found here; https://www.yearone.com/Product/wheels/2sf181810250
So, with that being said, the rims SHOULD be brand new and made per my spec that I gave them. Now, I don't really know if these were display stock, returned items, or if they were actual made to my spec and defective. I can't really answers those questions, but simply going off what they have said on their page, they should be new.

Correct, the photos were traded back and forth only after the rims had arrived to me. But it is important to remember that YO was only the middle man in this. US Wheels is the actual manufacture of the wheels. This means that US Wheels quality department; or whoever is checking the rims before they leave, missed the marks that were on the rims before they made it to me. YO would have never known about the markings until I informed them of the marks. YO never get to see the product because the rims ship directly from US Wheel in California, so YO would have never known that the issue existed until the customer; in this case me, brings it up to them.

evob

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 03:57:56 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Here is my last update as the issue has come to a close in a bad way. On October 31st, I received the "reworked" wheels back from Yearone's distributor US Wheels. Upon opening the first box, I was confused. I saw polishing compound all over the wheels. Looking past that and looking at just the chrome, I was disappointed in the results.  The porosity marks were still there, and where in the same locations, there were even scratches on the chrome that were not there originally. The rims overall looked even worse then they did the first time.

I had been thinking of what I could do if the wheels came back in worse condition and I had come to the conclusion that I would have my friend sandblast or soda blast them, then powder coat them a color of gold.

I called Yearone and told them that the wheels looked worse. The customer service rep said to just return the wheels and give me a refund. I asked if I could speak with the manager in hope that maybe we could work something out, as I really didn't want to give up the wheels. I started talking with the manager and he already knew what was going on. I explained to him that the wheels didn't look any better then what they did when they left the first time. He said the same thing as the rep, the last thing they would do is take them back and give me a refund. I asked if Yearone would be willing to let me have someone blast them and power coat them for me, and then Yearone pick up the cost. He told me a solid no, and that the only thing they would do is take them back. I asked if I were to buy another set would I receive something better, the same, or worse. He replied, "You will get the same thing.", he then went on to say that Yearone has never had any complaints about their wheels having issues. I didn't really want to go back and forth with him, so I told him okay, well I beg to differ with that. I told him to send me labels to send the rims back and I would let him know if I decide to send them back or not.

At this point I had only opened one of the four boxes that were sitting next to me. I decided I might as well look at the rest before I decide on what I will do. Sure enough, I opened the second box to find this;

To add injury to insult, as I was looking over the rim, I could still see circles in the chrome from when I lightly scratched the rims with a marker circling the porosity marks (if that makes sense). This tells me that they really didn't do any kind of "rework" at all. More than likely Yearone or US Wheels just sent them to a polisher and told them to only hit a couple of areas. Which didn't work.

After seeing the bent rim, I threw in the towel. I called Yearone back and said I was sending them back. I didn't even bother opening up the last two boxes.

I hope that my experience warns some for what to look out for on these wheels. To some, these marks might be acceptable. To me, they are not. For the price that someone would pay for these, they should be in amazing condition. In the end, Yearone lost a customer because of this. I will no longer be doing business with them. I hope they get their act together so that one day this will no longer be an issue.

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 03:57:56 PM »

Gold member

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 04:30:39 PM »
Amen to that . I had the same issue with my 17s from Classic industry i havent purchased anything from them again .
1979 Gold Bird
original paint and decals motor and trans   solid body mounts   frame connectors  full suspension overhaul  255/50/17 Nitto tires and YO snowflakes .  
Jim

evob

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 04:45:07 PM »
Amen to that . I had the same issue with my 17s from Classic industry i havent purchased anything from them again .

Sorry to hear that. They are really nice wheels, and I really want them, but I can't bring myself to spend that much money and receive that kind of product.

Like I stating in the beginning, I work in a machining environment, and if we see porosity, or any kind of lack of material, we throw the product out. No, if ands or butts. And if a product makes it to the customer we trade the product with them for one that we guarantee is perfect. When we get the bad one back, we throw them out. So, to me, coming from that environment, these we are just unacceptable. But that is just my view. Some people might be perfectly fine with it, and thats okay. At a show from normal distance, you will probably never see the marks. But I am thinking into the future. When water gets under that plating and starts pealing it up. That's no good.

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 06:35:06 PM »

Sorry to hear that. They are really nice wheels, and I really want them, but I can't bring myself to spend that much money and receive that kind of product.

Like I stating in the beginning, I work in a machining environment, and if we see porosity, or any kind of lack of material, we throw the product out. No, if ands or butts. And if a product makes it to the customer we trade the product with them for one that we guarantee is perfect. When we get the bad one back, we throw them out. So, to me, coming from that environment, these we are just unacceptable. But that is just my view. Some people might be perfectly fine with it, and thats okay. At a show from normal distance, you will probably never see the marks. But I am thinking into the future. When water gets under that plating and starts pealing it up. That's no good.
Wow....Just wow.........How can a company do business like that. I mean to be so "Cavalier" about the whole thing. It sounds to me like they actually expected you to just Take It. Sorry but I don't care who's buying the wheels, That is simply unacceptable. One has to wonder if somebody of "Note" IE Jay Leno, Someone from Hot Rod Garage, Road Kill. or pick one of the other Car Oriented Shows, Would have received that kind of crap. This needs to be passed on all over the internet. I mean what else do the sell that is sub standard junk.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 08:39:43 PM »
I don't understand the bent rim, was the box not destroyed also? They've certainly been highly polished, the regular rims aren't polished like that, plus are clear coated. Who's responsible for all the shoddy work? Is YO simply arranging contractors to tidy up rims on their behalf, and then shipping guys are seeing if they bounce from high rise buildings?! That's bizarre. Lucky you can even return them or contact them.

aussieta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 09:29:00 PM »
i dont deal with YO anymore after the disaster with my fibreglass nosecone
they agreed to a $500 credit, then when i tried to buy next time they denied all knowledge
when i forwarded the email i was told he doesnt work here anymore sorry
1978 Y84 W72 WS6
A Camaro looks like it could kick your ass.
A Trans Am looks like it's coming over to do it

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2018, 09:34:33 PM »
The distance protects them so often

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 09:56:29 PM »
The distance protects them so often
Isn't That The Truth....

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2018, 10:02:18 PM »
Many of mine were ebay items when Paypal didn't have any protection and ebay only had a 90-day drama lodgement. By the time the 'helpful' sellers added a few extra parts I was after or remembered to ship, that date was long gone. The sellers were less than helpful or happy to reply further when the item never arrived, or arrived as tangled spaghetti due to no packing whatsoever, even though charged for mailing tube and oversize shipping. The fact you are prepared to pay many times the value of the item just to get it here is completely lost on them. Luckily, it's only a few but disappointing when it involves a major operator.

Nexus

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2018, 03:16:26 AM »
So here's a silly question then

If Year One and Classic industries have issues with their rims, then who is left selling quality rims?
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(18 years and counting but still have her)

evob

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2018, 05:46:56 AM »
Wow....Just wow.........How can a company do business like that. I mean to be so "Cavalier" about the whole thing. It sounds to me like they actually expected you to just Take It. Sorry but I don't care who's buying the wheels, That is simply unacceptable. One has to wonder if somebody of "Note" IE Jay Leno, Someone from Hot Rod Garage, Road Kill. or pick one of the other Car Oriented Shows, Would have received that kind of crap. This needs to be passed on all over the internet. I mean what else do the sell that is sub standard junk.
I agree, I wish someone with status had an experience with this, because I'm sure this wouldn't be an issue. I'm just hoping to try and raise awareness of it so that maybe, just maybe, we can put a stop to it. I know that is a pretty high or impossible goal, but the more people who start rejecting this junk, the better. I actually plan to post the pictures and my experience on YO's facebook page once I get my money back haha.
Ya thats the part that I am having a hard time with too. YO acted as if they could care less about the whole thing. They did say they were sorry the product didn't meet my "standards", it when they said it all, they acted like "oh boy i'm soooo sorry" (in a sarcastic way). Then when I was talking to the manager, he said "Well before the rims were sent to you, I talked with the manufacture and they said the rims were perfect". I kid you not, I almost started laughing because he truly believed the rims were fine.
Before YO sent the rims back this time, they sent me pictures. They sent me two. One from the back and one from the front. From far away. I will try and find them and post them. It was also just of one rim. They asked if the rim looked okay. I asked for more pictures and never got anything, I finally just told them to send them because I wasn't getting anywhere with them.

I don't understand the bent rim, was the box not destroyed also? They've certainly been highly polished, the regular rims aren't polished like that, plus are clear coated. Who's responsible for all the shoddy work? Is YO simply arranging contractors to tidy up rims on their behalf, and then shipping guys are seeing if they bounce from high rise buildings?! That's bizarre. Lucky you can even return them or contact them.
Nope, the box was fine. It was actually double boxed! I'll post a picture in the next post.
From what I can gather, this is how it all works:
US Wheels - Manufacture in Huntington Beach, CA
Yearone - Distributor in Braselton, GA
Polisher - Unknown third party
When I sent the rims back, they went straight to US Wheel in Huntington Beach, CA. As far as what US Wheel did with them while they are there I am not sure. At Some point they went to the polisher, which is why they are more shiny then normal. Then they went back to US Wheel, where they sent pictures of the wheels to me and asked for approval to send. They then went from US Wheel, to me. The wheels never went near YO. Like I said, the boxes look perfectly fine, The boxes were even banded with the plastic bands and extra padding, so I'm not totally convinced it was shipping. But I could be wrong, we all know that the shipping guys can be pretty rough sometimes.

So here's a silly question then

If Year One and Classic industries have issues with their rims, then who is left selling quality rims?
Great question. But it is one that really doesn't have an answer. If we are just talking about the snowflake rims or ones like them, then probably no one. It is possible that there could be someone out there, just haven't found them yet. I know Foose sells a set of snowflake rims, but when I looked into that, they were salty, and I mean SALTY! The best price I was quoted was $1,000 a wheel.
I know that Restore a Muscle Car has a billet aluminum rim but I saw a post from a couple months ago of someone having issues with them when they had a bent rim in the mail. Those rims are about $3,500 for a set of 4. So that's a little too pricey for me too. I would be afraid to put that expensive of rim on my vehicle.

evob

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2018, 06:34:32 AM »
As I said in my last post, here are the pics YO sent me before they sent the wheels to me, and the pictures of the boxes and how they were packaged.
I think that it was great of US Wheel/YO to send me pictures of the wheels before they sent them back, but the issue is that they one sent pictures of one rim, and showed no detail in the pictures.

YO's picture 1:

YO's picture 2:

YO's picture 3:

Picture of the Packaging:

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2018, 06:43:26 AM »
Oh, these are the new 18 inch rims that have the separate centre that can be welded into various offsets. My comments about finish and quality were largely about the cast 17" that most are more familiar. That explains the buckle, no actually, it still doesn't. Only explains the polish like chrome compared to regular alloy.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2018, 06:52:14 AM »
I know these are expensive and you should get a quality product, but honestly I didn't see anything wrong with them originally. Looked to me like a bit of compound that needed to be wiped clean. I know you work in the industry and have a far greater respect for quality control than myself. As far as YO wanting to refund your money I think that is more than fair. That's the best they can do in the situation. I thought that the wheels were a polished surface not plated, so if there is porosity water will not get under the surface causing failure. I guess im a bit easier going but once they are on the car and have a mile or two road wear they will look worse than new anyway. HOWEVER, there is no excuse for sending out a bent rim. Somewhere down the line someone had to know that an unusable rim was being packaged in a box.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2018, 07:38:01 AM »

I know some will not like to hear what I have to say, but remember I do business in this industry and have different expectations and understanding of what can be done how it is manufactured and how costs are obtained.

Anyone can take this next line as they wish, but the straight talk is ....don't follow the reality car shows, ever noticed how quickly they flash images ???!!!! that is because your eye can't focus on details that fast, yes those shows will get just what you get, I have seen my share of TV builts cars and up close they can be awful....PLEASE GUYS STOP USING THESE SHOWS AS BENCHMARKS, IT'S TV IT'S ENTERTAINMENT AND MARKETTING ROLLED INTO ONE!!

www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2018, 08:06:40 AM »
Evob, from what I see.

Those wheels are not 100% cast wheels, the center is cast, the rim is spun aluminum, that is why it's welded in, are they chromed or polished? I bet they are just polished otherwise a marker would not etch the surface .

What was referred to as porosity looks more like compound smears, these things are machine polished with a lot of pressure and can build enough heat to inbed the compound in the aluminum, I agree it should have been cleaned better, but I guaranty the .50/h Chinese worker is not looking at the wheels as close as someone that just spent over 2K (just reality of not paying that much per wheel)again not defending YO.
Using a marker could chemical etch the surface that will not come out, I have some regular markers at the shop that can etch aluminum even after cleaning it off with solvent it is in the aluminum.

FYI if the rim is chromed forget trying to clean them up and powder coating them afterwards, the chemical process from chroming is in the base metal and you can't get it out.

My suggestion is  to always understand what is looked at and do a little research on what the perception is, it may not be what you think.
When I first read this post about YO/US wheel willing to re-work the wheels to take care of porosity sent some giant red flags up for me because porosity can't be fixed and if they co have a way to fill it and polish it to where it is permanent and not leave any ghost markings it would cost more than the wheel is worth.

This leads me to believe they knew that it was just a simple cleaning issue and tried to satisfy a customer.

The bent rim, well that would take some force to do and can't imagine no one noticing but lets face it a minimum wage worker with buds in their ears, mind on something else may just not have noticed.

My advice is go ahead and get another set, research cleaning polished wheels , there simply was no porosity in those rims.
www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

evob

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2018, 10:04:11 AM »
Evob, from what I see.

Those wheels are not 100% cast wheels, the center is cast, the rim is spun aluminum, that is why it's welded in, are they chromed or polished? I bet they are just polished otherwise a marker would not etch the surface .

What was referred to as porosity looks more like compound smears, these things are machine polished with a lot of pressure and can build enough heat to inbed the compound in the aluminum, I agree it should have been cleaned better, but I guaranty the .50/h Chinese worker is not looking at the wheels as close as someone that just spent over 2K (just reality of not paying that much per wheel)again not defending YO.
Using a marker could chemical etch the surface that will not come out, I have some regular markers at the shop that can etch aluminum even after cleaning it off with solvent it is in the aluminum.

FYI if the rim is chromed forget trying to clean them up and powder coating them afterwards, the chemical process from chroming is in the base metal and you can't get it out.

My suggestion is  to always understand what is looked at and do a little research on what the perception is, it may not be what you think.
When I first read this post about YO/US wheel willing to re-work the wheels to take care of porosity sent some giant red flags up for me because porosity can't be fixed and if they co have a way to fill it and polish it to where it is permanent and not leave any ghost markings it would cost more than the wheel is worth.

This leads me to believe they knew that it was just a simple cleaning issue and tried to satisfy a customer.

The bent rim, well that would take some force to do and can't imagine no one noticing but lets face it a minimum wage worker with buds in their ears, mind on something else may just not have noticed.

My advice is go ahead and get another set, research cleaning polished wheels , there simply was no porosity in those rims.

79T I believe that the marks were porosity because when running your finger/pen/pencil/ or other pointed object, across the surface you could feel your finger nail fall into a crack. I knew that they were not compound smears because when the wheels arrived they were covered in polishing compound. After spraying the wheels down with detailing spray and wiping them down the marks were still there. No amount of rubbing would remove the marks.
I agree that when they said that they wanted to "Rework" the porosity marks, it threw red flags for me too. But I figured if they were willing to try and take care of the issue, then it was worth a shot.
The wheels have been sent back to YO/US Wheels for a refund. Personally, I am going to find some other wheel; no idea what yet, that doesn't come from US Wheel. I am in by no means saying that YO was at fault for the manufacturing of the wheel, or the bent wheel. I blame US Wheel for those. I blame YO for not pushing back on US Wheel for a better quality of product for the money. And when it came time to deal with the issue at hand, they simply did not care, and seemed to act like the problem wasn't real. That was where YO went wrong.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 10:05:51 AM by evob »

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2018, 01:39:12 PM »

I know some will not like to hear what I have to say, but remember I do business in this industry and have different expectations and understanding of what can be done how it is manufactured and how costs are obtained.

Anyone can take this next line as they wish, but the straight talk is ....don't follow the reality car shows, ever noticed how quickly they flash images ???!!!! that is because your eye can't focus on details that fast, yes those shows will get just what you get, I have seen my share of TV builts cars and up close they can be awful....PLEASE GUYS STOP USING THESE SHOWS AS BENCHMARKS, IT'S TV IT'S ENTERTAINMENT AND MARKETTING ROLLED INTO ONE!!
I'm not doubting any of your experience, and I was simply using the "Car Shows" as examples. I don't have cable, so If its not on YouTube, I have never watched it, and for all I know, what you say is true. But I'm sure of one thing, if the address that something is being sent to is a big name, and I used Jay Leno as my first example, and I could list more but see no point.....CRAP like what was sent to the OP would never happen. I have been around the Automotive Scene in Southern California since I was a teenager..... Big names do not get CRAP sent to them.... Period. Big Names will buy from someone else. You don't get your product endorsement on the side of a race car by sending a CRAP product out to a customer.

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2018, 01:43:56 PM »
Here is a Fun Fact......https://www.uswheel.com/p/3/our-story/ Note: in the Bottom left hand corner.....U.S. Wheel Corp. is a Steel Wheel Manufactured in the USA. So where are the Aluminum Wheels Manufactured....?????

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2018, 05:43:06 PM »
langss, you would be surprised, I don't disagree that tv shows will be sent parts that may get more attentions to details, but it all has to do with money and advertising, if brand X supports a show and sends product the host will say the nicest things about it.
I've been involved with a few "automotive media" projects, they are bastards  at best, it took HPP 2 years to publish an article with my suspension kit, the shop that installed got no benefit from it as they were out of business by the time it was published, and I was an advertiser in HPP!
Popular hot rodding removed my name from the list of parts on Larry middleton's car description and others because we did not advertise in the magazine, they swapped "pro-touring F-body" to F-body pro touring from a name to a description!!
Remember Hot Rod doing HF tools "testing" LOL and saying they were great ??!!
Another instance where a Camaro was built using cpp got multiple page coverage but the chinese junk failed, I was the new sponsor spent thousands when the car was finished Car craft pulled the plug on publishing the article!!!
You could send them an chrome dead rat and they will say the nicest things about it as look as you feed them $$$$$$

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2018, 05:44:07 PM »
Here is a Fun Fact......https://www.uswheel.com/p/3/our-story/ Note: in the Bottom left hand corner.....U.S. Wheel Corp. is a Steel Wheel Manufactured in the USA. So where are the Aluminum Wheels Manufactured....?????

Exactly what I said ;-)

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2018, 06:08:49 PM »
Evob, from what I see.

79T I believe that the marks were porosity because when running your finger/pen/pencil/ or other pointed object, across the surface you could feel your finger nail fall into a crack. I knew that they were not compound smears because when the wheels arrived they were covered in polishing compound. After spraying the wheels down with detailing spray and wiping them down the marks were still there. No amount of rubbing would remove the marks.
I agree that when they said that they wanted to "Rework" the porosity marks, it threw red flags for me too. But I figured if they were willing to try and take care of the issue, then it was worth a shot.
The wheels have been sent back to YO/US Wheels for a refund. Personally, I am going to find some other wheel; no idea what yet, that doesn't come from US Wheel. I am in by no means saying that YO was at fault for the manufacturing of the wheel, or the bent wheel. I blame US Wheel for those. I blame YO for not pushing back on US Wheel for a better quality of product for the money. And when it came time to deal with the issue at hand, they simply did not care, and seemed to act like the problem wasn't real. That was where YO went wrong.

I'm just trying to help and inform, I don't know it all but.

"To add injury to insult, as I was looking over the rim, I could still see circles in the chrome from when I lightly scratched the rims with a marker circling the porosity marks (if that makes sense). This tells me that they really didn't do any kind of "rework" at all. More than likely Yearone or US Wheels just sent them to a polisher and told them to only hit a couple of areas. Which didn't work."

from this statement what you call porosity was taken care of,right? but you could see the circles left by the marker.
Again trying to help but you didn't read what I said.
1 The marker can etch aluminum.
2 I explained that heavy load on the polisher can inbed compound, and yes you will feel it with your nail but obviously they were able to remove it without re-polishing the wheel, polishing involves abrasive compounds that would have cut deeper than the etching.
3 the rim is made of spun aluminum NOT cast therefor there can't be any porosity.
4 porosity is caused by air bubbles in a casting, the rim is NOT cast as evident by the ridges from the spin forming.

Unfortunately the "reps" at YO are nothing more than store employees they have rules to follow and have no knowledge or experience in the field of casting, US Wheel probably told YO just send them to us and we will look at the problem and in all honesty there was no problem other than smeared over heated polishing compound, the circles were due to using a permanent marker used.

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2018, 09:07:18 PM »
langss, you would be surprised, I don't disagree that tv shows will be sent parts that may get more attentions to details, but it all has to do with money and advertising, if brand X supports a show and sends product the host will say the nicest things about it.
I've been involved with a few "automotive media" projects, they are bastards  at best, it took HPP 2 years to publish an article with my suspension kit, the shop that installed got no benefit from it as they were out of business by the time it was published, and I was an advertiser in HPP!
Popular hot rodding removed my name from the list of parts on Larry middleton's car description and others because we did not advertise in the magazine, they swapped "pro-touring F-body" to F-body pro touring from a name to a description!!
Remember Hot Rod doing HF tools "testing" LOL and saying they were great ??!!
Another instance where a Camaro was built using cpp got multiple page coverage but the chinese junk failed, I was the new sponsor spent thousands when the car was finished Car craft pulled the plug on publishing the article!!!
You could send them an chrome dead rat and they will say the nicest things about it as look as you feed them $$$$$$
Again I'm not talking about Car Oriented Shows or Car Magazines..... I was involved with a lot of people that actually used the products. Admittedly this was a few years ago and I realize that Business Models Change. I guess I have just been lucky.

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2018, 07:16:05 AM »
Yikes. The repo snowflakes look scary in construction. I was under the impression they were solid cast/machined. If they bent like that, it's a sign they are using some really low grade aluminum. I'm guessing it's not an aircraft grade alloy.

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2018, 06:04:28 PM »
Yikes. The repo snowflakes look scary in construction. I was under the impression they were solid cast/machined. If they bent like that, it's a sign they are using some really low grade aluminum. I'm guessing it's not an aircraft grade alloy.

What is "aircraft aluminum" ?
I'm sorry to have to point this out but these things need to be teachable moments.
aluminum alloy is man made, the grade would not have anything to do with how easy it bends, the hardness would, aluminum has to be of zero hardness to spin form it then hardened to a specific spec.

I do agree that for them to bend a rim like that it may be softer than it should be.

FYI cast center and spun outer rim is a VERY common method to build rims.

Ryoko

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2018, 06:18:40 PM »
What is "aircraft aluminum" ?

I'll take a guess and say those rims are made from something cheap like 1100 alloy instead of something a little more beefier. Yes, the term 'aircraft aluminum' does get abused a lot. In my case I'm referring to one of the heat treatable structural alloys like 5052 or 7075.

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2018, 06:18:40 PM »
You can help support TAC!