Author Topic: Viking Double Adjustable Shocks  (Read 767 times)

EspriTA350

• Active Forum Member
Viking Double Adjustable Shocks
« on: October 15, 2018, 10:56:57 AM »
I'll get right to it, these shocks are amazing. Installation was pretty simple, same as any other shock. The only downside to them vs my previous adjustable shocks are the adjustment knobs are slightly more difficult to access. With my previous shocks I could just pop the hood and reach the knobs for the front shocks, and for the rears I could just lay on my back and be able to reach them. Literally took less than a minute to adjust all 4. These ones I have to jack the car up on each end to reach them, and kinda reach through the bottom of the control arm to get at the knobs. Depending on what you have for control arms, you may have to do some clearancing to get enough leverage with your fingers to turn the knobs. I do not need to clearance mine but probably will sometime in the future just to make it a little easier. The rears are slightly easier, if you jack up the back end you can just reach around or over the tires to adjust them. If you really needed you could simply remove the wheels too. Adjustment is very simple and the knobs provide ample feedback, provided you're doing it by hand. It's my experience that you will not even notice the clicks if you're turning the knobs with anything other than your bare hands. Also you run the risk of damaging them if you aren't doing it by hand.

Now the upsides: ride quality is much improved, a world of a difference. Back roads are finally tolerable once again. Here in New England we have the worst back roads I've ever seen so that's saying a lot! I have relatively aggressive spring rates and my previous adjustable shocks were just not up to the task. Now even with my spring rates (600 front, 170 or 180 rear depending on who you ask) the ride quality is great. I highly recommend starting at the suggested starting point of 2 compression, 6 rebound up front, and 1 compression 3 rebound in the rear before trying anything else. Only change 1 adjustment at a time, ie only work on rebound, or compression, not both at the same time. Make adjustments to rebound at all 4 corners, then road test, then if needed make further adjustments to compression. Or vice versa. If you do both at once it makes it harder to keep track of what changes had what effect. Also keep a journal of every adjustment made, and your thoughts on the results of said adjustments.

One additional thing to note, not a downside or an upside, but you may have to reuse your original shock mounting hardware. The bolts that came with mine were too big to thread into my control arms (Global West). I don't know if that would be the same or different with oem or PTFB ones. It's always a good idea to save your old hardware just in case, and I just wanted to make sure anyone who buys these doesn't just chuck theirs away and have to make a drive to the nearest hardware store.

I would give these shocks a 9/10.

78TA_In87

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Viking Double Adjustable Shocks
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 01:34:34 AM »
Thanks for the great write up!

Someone else installed mine, and I have no idea what setting they set it to. But I'll be looking to make it firmer.   I feel the same way in wishing they made access to the adjustments easier.  With another brand in my other car I just lift up the hood and easily adjust from up top.

Do you have the Crusaders or the Warriors? 
PONTIAC - We (Did) Build EXCITEMENT!!

EspriTA350

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 05:08:27 PM »

Someone else installed mine, and I have no idea what setting they set it to. But I'll be looking to make it firmer.   I feel the same way in wishing they made access to the adjustments easier.  With another brand in my other car I just lift up the hood and easily adjust from up top.

I have whichever ones are the non coilover variety, and I think those are the warriors.

78TA_In87

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 09:15:48 PM »

I have whichever ones are the non coilover variety, and I think those are the warriors.

They are both non coilovers.   
Crusader has 22 adjustable rebound positions versus 19 positions on the Warrior.  I have the Warrior.

What settings did you like the best? 
PONTIAC - We (Did) Build EXCITEMENT!!

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 12:35:05 PM »
Thanks for the review.  I have them on the front and also noticed a ride improvement over the Monroe Sensatracs.  Mine are set to 1 and 4 now, I will probably up that when I go to softer front springs and new control arms.  I also didn't use their bolts, just used regular grade 8 bolts.

How do you like the Global West control arms?  Did you get them with the Del-Alum bushings?  Were there any problems with installation?

Thanks.

Viking Warrior
1979 TATA Extreme TKO .64
Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Edelbrock intake; open scoop; modified Q-jet; Powermaster 150; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 12:35:05 PM »

Updated71

• Oracle Forum Member
  • TA Addiction
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 07:12:48 AM »
I don't have Viking, but you may be able to flip the rears so the knobs are up top provided you aren't very low. That may at least save you from jacking the back up.
The surgeon general never said nuthin' 'bout smokin' the competition!

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 07:56:51 AM »
I don't have Viking, but you may be able to flip the rears so the knobs are up top provided you aren't very low. That may at least save you from jacking the back up.

You can't do that without changing the ends, but it's not hard to reach around the tire to twist the knobs, we do it right on the grid at the track without a jack.
www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

EspriTA350

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 08:07:04 PM »

They are both non coilovers.   
Crusader has 22 adjustable rebound positions versus 19 positions on the Warrior.  I have the Warrior.

What settings did you like the best?
Honestly don't know the model. I only know about the coilover and non coilover versions. So far I'm happiest with the current setting although I haven't played around with it more since getting it comfy a month ago. There is still room for improvement I've just been procrastinating. My current setting is Front: 2 compression, 6 rebound, and rear: 1 compression, 3 rebound.
Thanks for the review.  I have them on the front and also noticed a ride improvement over the Monroe Sensatracs.  Mine are set to 1 and 4 now, I will probably up that when I go to softer front springs and new control arms.  I also didn't use their bolts, just used regular grade 8 bolts.

How do you like the Global West control arms?  Did you get them with the Del-Alum bushings?  Were there any problems with installation?

Thanks.

Control arms are fine although the only fault of the originals was that all of the rubber was cracked. At that point anything feels like an improvement. I've yet to try OEM control arms with fresh bushings so I can't give an honest assessment of one vs the other. I have the del-alum bushings and they seem to work great. Only problems I had with installation was my paranoia of removing the old springs and installing the new ones without killing myself. I also had some difficulty getting the new springs to seat correctly, but that is more a fault to either my inexperience, or the construction of the springs themselves (none of the spring compressors I tried would work with them).

You can't do that without changing the ends, but it's not hard to reach around the tire to twist the knobs, we do it right on the grid at the track without a jack.

I actually just tried to adjust them without jacking the car up, lo and behold you're right again Dave. They are reachable without jacking up either end. I had to pretzel my arm a bit for the rears but it was possible if I layed down.

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 07:18:48 AM »
glad to see you are happy with the results
www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 07:18:48 AM »
You can help support TAC!