Author Topic: Help with power steering....  (Read 152 times)

jmb36TA

• Active Forum Member
Help with power steering....
« on: October 11, 2018, 09:36:36 AM »
I'm at my wits end with my power steering. I can't get it to work after rebuilding the pump. It used to be so loose I could turn the wheel with my pinky finger but the pump leaked. I got a rebuild kit and ever since then I can't get it to bleed. I tried everything I've found on this forum and nothing seems to be working. When I first put it in I tuned the wheel lock to lock to get the air bubbles out and that didn't work. Then I saw someone say to start the car and get the fluid pumping, I did that and turned the wheels several times again. Nothing. One note...I did have the wheels off the ground every time I tried to bleed it and lowered the car to test it. If it didn't work they went back in the air. When I looked in the reservoir I noticed that the fluid wasn't flowing, it was just sitting there like the pump wasn't working. I took it out and started to take it apart. The first thing I checked was the pressure valve and found that I put the piston in backwards...oops. Glad I didn't have to take the whole thing apart. I fixed that and put the pump back in and started the car. The fluid bubbled and burped and it was moving! I turned the wheels back and forth for about 5 minutes, I can't say how many times but I wanted to be sure to get all the air out. I added more fluid as the level dropped until it stabilized. I dropped the wheels back on the ground and.........NOTHING! I just don't get it. I can visually see the fluid returning with the car running so I know the pump is working. Another note...the lines were only disconnected from the pump and never completely removed.
68 Firebird 350 auto
69 Trans Am Tribute 400 auto (currently own)
78 Trans Am 455 auto
78 Trans Am 6.6 4 speed
88 Trans Am 5.0 auto
02 Trans Am WS6 LS 6 speed (currently own)

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
Re: Help with power steering....
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 10:38:24 AM »
I guess you don't have any pressure.  Fluid can still circulate when you aren't trying to steer.  No pressure really needed for that.  I have never rebuilt one, so I am not really qualified to give opinions.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

81Blackbird

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 02:11:17 PM »
I had a similar problem a few years back.  For some reason the valve behind the H.P. hose was stuck inward. Another words toward the front.  When I tapped it with a punch it popped out.  It would work for a turn or two and get stuck again.  I gave up and bought a reman.  No issues since.

jmb36TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 08:19:17 AM »
I found a couple things that could be causing the issue. I bought a remanufactured one but it was the wrong style. Strange thing is that the company didn't want it back. Instead the told me to "render it unusable" They basically told me to destroy it and they'll give me a refund. So a smashed the neck and left the pump in tack. I got my refund and I'm swapping it out with my old one tonight. I'll dig into the old one a little more when I get motivated to tackle this issue again.
68 Firebird 350 auto
69 Trans Am Tribute 400 auto (currently own)
78 Trans Am 455 auto
78 Trans Am 6.6 4 speed
88 Trans Am 5.0 auto
02 Trans Am WS6 LS 6 speed (currently own)

DD78TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 06:56:27 AM »
Maybe before you completely remove the old pump, take the pressure line off the box and stick it in the pump (or something) and see if it's pumping. I have no idea what should happen, but if nothing happens you'd know it's not pumping. BE SAFE - have someone help you and you might just turn the car over with the key and don't let it fully start to begin with. ??

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 06:56:27 AM »

mz-formula

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 10:07:39 AM »
I had issues with my wife's power steering when I replaced the pump on her 06 grand am. No matter what I did, I could not get the air out and it groaned like crazy. I grabbed a stering pump cap from the boneyard, drilled a hole in it, and made it hook up to a hand vacuum pump.  From there, while I ran the car I put it under vacuum and while under vacuum moved the wheel side to side.  Only thing I did in my many efforts that worked getting the air out on that one.

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 10:07:39 AM »
You can help support TAC!