Author Topic: Trunk hinge install help!  (Read 108 times)

Joe

• Active Forum Member
Trunk hinge install help!
« on: October 09, 2018, 08:02:24 PM »
My old hinges were shot as they were completely rusted out.  So I removed them and welded some material on to cover up the holes. Now I need to weld the replacement ones back on, but I don't know the correct way to center them or if they are supposed to be to a specific height.  Any ideas on how to get this installed properly? i was thinking on putting a rod  in between the swivel portions of both hinges and placing a level at the middle. ones its center then weld them on

Any other ideas are welcomed

thanks in advance.

Joe
76 T/A

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Trunk hinge install help!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 04:52:58 AM »
I would square them up using a rod through the hole while you bolt the trunk lid on. Try to center the bolts in the holes when you bolt the lid on, that will give you adjustment later. You should be able to at least tack the hinges in place with the lid where you want it.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 06:57:04 AM »
Maybe bolt them to the trunk lid, then take measurements from the corners of the lid to reference points on the hinges. You could transfer those measurements using the body lines as a point. Also wouldn't hurt once they are bolted to the lid you could make a jig of sorts to hold them together so when you remove them to weld they would come off together keeping the spacing correct. There is a good bit of adjustment to them so if your not spot on they should still work ok.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Joe

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 07:27:23 AM »
You guys are the best! I need to get this done so I can weld my quarter piece on, its been raining down here more than the norm and its not good more my welds. Gonna try both methods to see where it goes. I tacked them on with the tension rods in place but one of the hinges broke off from the spot welds. So I removed the tension rods and I'm going to weld them separately. I'll probably go with a lift support on the trunk to get rid of the tension rods
Joe
76 T/A

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 06:33:58 AM »
I would def take the torque rods off to do the welding. As far as a gas shock lift for the trunk lid, I put one on my car and love it. It doesn't take away from the looks too much and works fantastic.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter