Author Topic: Outer Wheelhouse Advice  (Read 582 times)

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
Outer Wheelhouse Advice
« on: July 29, 2018, 06:56:18 PM »
I'm replacing both quarters skins on my 73.  Finished the passenger side and now tearing into the driver side.  This time it looks like the outer wheelhouse is going to need some work due to rust around the lip. 

Any advice from those who've replace their outer wheelhouse? 

How is the fit on the reproductions? 

Is it better to the replace the full outer wheelhouse or patch in just the lip edge?  I watched a YouTube video where they patched in the edge and it seems like a good way to guarantee a good fit against the quarter panel.  Getting a tight fit on the edge was one of the things I struggled with on the passenger side.  When I lined up the body line front to rear, there ended up being a gap around part of the lip.  How did you do yours, full or partial?
Gene

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Outer Wheelhouse Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 07:06:16 AM »
If you can find NOS outer wheel houses its the way to go on your 1973 Trans Am.
If unable to locate then you have to use what is available.

Dandy77

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 02:27:18 PM »
My quarters on both sides were rusted just on the lip where both fenders come together. I cut/patch butt welded and spot welded both arches of the rear quarters. Time consuming but well worth it in the end.

stan65

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 11:38:23 AM »
I used goodmark from Rock Auto. they fit excellent!

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 07:42:20 PM »
I ended up cutting out the entire wheelhouse, actually more like 95% of it (kept the original corner by the rocker since that area was rust free), and replaced it with a Goodmark reproduction.  This turned out to be the right approach as the reproduction wheelhouse matched up to the reproduction quarter skin, also Goodmark, perfectly. 

The flat surface where the wheelhouse welds onto actually provides a lot of room for adjustment so I was able to align it to the quarter precisely.  This side is turning out much better than the other side where I kept the original wheelhouse.  Kind of wish I would have done it this way the first time around on the passenger side.

Gene

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 07:42:20 PM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 09:38:14 PM »
Wow, pretty amazing work there. That primer is nicer than most cars. Great job.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 09:38:14 PM »
You can help support TAC!