Author Topic: Having trouble starting my T/A after a drive  (Read 101 times)

Rex79

• Forum Member
Having trouble starting my T/A after a drive
« on: September 16, 2018, 11:21:43 AM »
Hey guys,
So my 79 t/a has had some trouble starting after I drive it for about twenty minutes or so. It first started happening last weekend when I drove it to the gym. I parked and shut the car off but then went to move to a different spot and when I turned the key the engine wouldn't crank. When I would turn the key all it would do is make a click sound. After coming out of the gym an hour later it started right up for me and I went home. The battery cables were a little loose so those were tightened, but I I got the car out again yesterday and had the same problem. After driving for about twenty minutes or so I got back to the house and I shut it off to go and move the other cars around so that I could put the t/a in it's normal spot and when I went back to start it it would do the same thing, just make a click sound when I turned the key. After waiting about 30 minutes or so I was able to start it again.

So I'm starting to think it might be a problem with the starter. I had the battery checked a few months ago when some other work was getting done and it appeared to be fine and I have had other trouble with the starter getting heat soaked after a drive, but the engine would still crank and usually if I just pumped the gas once it would start right up. But now after a drive it won't do anything but make the click sound.

Just wanted to know if it sounds like I'm right in thinking that it's the starter that's the problem or if there might be something else going on. Also if it is the starter I was wandering what the best way to go about fixing that would be. I can go to the auto parts store and get a new one for pretty cheap but I have heard that those aren't the best quality so I wasn't sure if it would be better to rebuild the one I currently have or get a higher quality after market starter. Thanks.

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
Re: Having trouble starting my T/A after a drive
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 12:58:35 PM »
You are right its the starter getting old and with age they are more pronged to get heat soaked. You already checked the battery and cable, I would look into the ground connection at the block to make sure it's on right and without corrosion. If that checks out I would replace the starter, with the cheap Autozone ones you should still get few years out for it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 02:07:39 PM by Jack »

Regards, Jack

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 01:07:15 PM »
No, I wouldn't get a new starter yet.

First thing I would do is disconnect the battery cables, and clean the ends of the cables by scraping them with a sharp knife or razor blade. Also scrape the battery terminals clean. A battery terminal cleaner tool, available for cheap at the parts store, makes the job a little easier. Also wire brush and clean the head stud on the engine where the negative battery cable connects, so there's no rust preventing a good ground. Then reconnect everything. Dirty, corroded terminals and cable ends could be the cause and you can do that practically for free. It needs to be done anyway if you have never done it since you've had the car.

Next, if that doesn't work, I would suspect the battery and check it, or have the store check it for you. If it checks okay, then I'd start thinking about a starter.

And I've gotten long life out of the Autozone starters I've bought, so I wouldn't hesitate to get one.
Steve F.

oldskool

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 01:31:33 PM »
I had a LOT of problems with those old stock type starters. Even with a good rebuilt extra high torque GM starter, I still had to replace the solenoid quite often, on my race cars. Always carried at least one extra to the races. The guy who rebuilt the starters for me said that even the very best quality solenoids would not last very long, when used on high compression engines, that must be started when hot, on a regular basis.

In 2008 I bought a Summit mini starter to replace my failed 455 starter. Worked great & have never had a starter problem since. They cost nearly $200. But, I consider it to be one of the best $200 investments I've ever made. Sure wish I'd had one of these on all my drag cars ! I would probably have won several times that amount, if my engine would have started every time, not to mention the extra work & aggravation. Wouldn't spend another penny on a stock type Pontiac starter.

Rex79

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 03:26:18 PM »
You are right its the starter getting old and with age they are more pronged to get heat soaked. You already checked the battery and cable, I would look into the ground connection at the block to make sure it's on right and without corrosion. If that checks out I would replace the starter, with the cheap Autozone ones you should still get few years out for it.

No, I wouldn't get a new starter yet.

First thing I would do is disconnect the battery cables, and clean the ends of the cables by scraping them with a sharp knife or razor blade. Also scrape the battery terminals clean. A battery terminal cleaner tool, available for cheap at the parts store, makes the job a little easier. Also wire brush and clean the head stud on the engine where the negative battery cable connects, so there's no rust preventing a good ground. Then reconnect everything. Dirty, corroded terminals and cable ends could be the cause and you can do that practically for free. It needs to be done anyway if you have never done it since you've had the car.

Next, if that doesn't work, I would suspect the battery and check it, or have the store check it for you. If it checks okay, then I'd start thinking about a starter.

And I've gotten long life out of the Autozone starters I've bought, so I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

Thanks for all the help guys. I cleaned everything off when I tightened the battery cables but I'll double check everything again and if it checks out I'll look into getting a new starter. Thanks again for the help.

I had a LOT of problems with those old stock type starters. Even with a good rebuilt extra high torque GM starter, I still had to replace the solenoid quite often, on my race cars. Always carried at least one extra to the races. The guy who rebuilt the starters for me said that even the very best quality solenoids would not last very long, when used on high compression engines, that must be started when hot, on a regular basis.

In 2008 I bought a Summit mini starter to replace my failed 455 starter. Worked great & have never had a starter problem since. They cost nearly $200. But, I consider it to be one of the best $200 investments I've ever made. Sure wish I'd had one of these on all my drag cars ! I would probably have won several times that amount, if my engine would have started every time, not to mention the extra work & aggravation. Wouldn't spend another penny on a stock type Pontiac starter.

I will look into those. Not sure I want to drop $200 yet for a starter. Especially since I just have 403 that is stock except for exhaust.

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 03:26:18 PM »

Dr87

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 06:55:39 PM »
I had the same problems with heatsoak on my 403, get you a summit mini starter and you'll be good

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 06:55:39 PM »
You can help support TAC!