Author Topic: Full Length Headers Ticking Noise  (Read 413 times)

dwight

• Forum Member
Full Length Headers Ticking Noise
« on: September 12, 2018, 01:25:16 AM »
Are there any headers available, that don't have that ticking noise with Pontiac engines?
At least all Pontiacs I know had this annoying ticking noise with headers, even when they were definitely not leaking.
Flowtech (not sure as they came with the car), Hooker Competion and Hedman headers (besides horrible fit) definitely do have the ticking noise on different cars with 400ci engines.
On the other hand I never noticed this ticking noise on Camaros with SBCs and Hooker Super Competion or Flowtech headers.
Is this a Pontiac "feature" or just a problem of cheaply built headers? Are maybe Dougs Headers better at this?

71455formula

• Active Forum Member
Re: Full Length Headers Ticking Noise
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 02:11:49 AM »
The ticking noise you here is the headers or exhaust system cooling off. Usually stainless does it the most. It is not specific to Pontiacs. My ls1 formula would do it and my Silverado would also. My ls1 formulas exhaust was stainless from header to tip. It would sit there and talk for a bit after turning it off.
1971 LS5 Formula. It's on the road finally!
2013 GMC Sierra 5.3l 6 speed Diamond White(sold)
2013 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2 6 speed AWD (sold)

Bluebandit

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 04:52:51 PM »
Same here, ive had the ticking noise on my TA and also on Chevys ive owned that were header equipped. Sometimes I wonder if its the closing of the exhaust valve that you can hear. Im assuming you are talking about when its running.

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 01:15:22 AM »
Its called header tick.....its the sound of the exhaust pulses.....some brands are worse than others, but they all do it to some extent.
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe (project)

Former Firebirds -
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

dwight

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 05:07:38 PM »
Thanks for all answers so far.
I mean the ticking noise while the engine is running. A Camaro and a Firebird I know both have the Pypes SGF11R exhaust with Race Pro Mufflers and a quite tame idle. At the engine bay of the Camaro with Hooker Super Competition headers (1 3/4" primaries and wrapped) you can only hear a little clatter from the Roller Rockers and at the engine bay of the Firebird with Hedman Headers (also 1 3/4") the ticking is clearly dominant. The owner of the Pontiac already installed new gaskets because of this, but the old gaskets showed no signs of leakage.
LeighP, you mentioned some brands are worse than others. Do you know which are better at this?
Does header wrap help with this considerably or are exhaust manifolds the only way to loose this ticking?

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 05:07:38 PM »

Mike In GA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 06:23:15 PM »
I have read that H pipe and X pipe have different exhaust sound.May or may not have anything to do with ticking noise.

SoupMan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 08:18:43 AM »
I have the same ticking. Been trying to figured it out but it's not my #1 problem at the moment. My engine builder suggested it could be the sound of an exhaust leak at the heads.

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 01:59:42 PM »
No idea on the brands that might be better.....it depends on a lot of variables...CR, pipe shape/diameter etc.
I've had a few different vehicles with headers and you can hear it more or less on all of them....seem to recall the worst was a 351 Cleveland....quite loud. Best would have been the Tri-Y's on my 455.
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia

Former Firebirds -
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am

Bluebandit

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 04:45:47 PM »
No idea on the brands that might be better.....it depends on a lot of variables...CR, pipe shape/diameter etc.
I've had a few different vehicles with headers and you can hear it more or less on all of them....seem to recall the worst was a 351 Cleveland....quite loud. Best would have been the Tri-Y's on my 455.

Leigh, now that you mention it, a friend has a 351C equipped Torino and you can here them ticking way more than any other car I can think of.
Actually I don't mind hearing them tick at all, just think of it as a rattlesnake warning off others!

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 02:17:06 PM »
lol...its the sound of power!  :lol:
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia

Former Firebirds -
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 02:17:06 PM »
You can help support TAC!