Author Topic: Carburetion  (Read 776 times)

lugnuts

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Wheaton, IL
Carburetion
« on: September 08, 2018, 10:40:39 PM »
SO I will be having J&S Machine build me a ~450hp 403 motor, he's about 3 hours from me so it makes sense to go with them.

the only issue I have is the original QJet is long gone (gone before I bought the car) and in its place is a low end Holley.

Talking with Jim he mentioned Holley makes a spread bore replacement carb so I'm wondering if this is the way I should go. I do have one of Larry's drop base air cleaners that he made for the olds engine I bought from him years ago so I could go with a square bore carb and spacer if thats the better way to go.

what carburetor should I go with and why? does anyone sell the correct used qjet?

here are the two Holley spread bore carbs:
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/specialty_carburetors/emissions_replacement/parts/0-6210
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/specialty_carburetors/emissions_replacement/parts/0-80555C
Check out the progress of my restoration on my YouTube Channel. Click here: TheOriginalLugnuts (Updated Weekly)

" daddy my hat blew off, I hope your darn head was in it"

olds403

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Carburetion
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 11:02:25 PM »
Quick fuel Slayer 750 take a look at those if carb is what your thinking
Otherwise, go with a Fitech or a Holley Sniper.  I’ve used two Fitechs so far. 

« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 11:05:20 PM by olds403 »

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 12:52:21 PM »
What intake manifold will you be using?

lugnuts

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Wheaton, IL
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 08:16:05 AM »
What intake manifold will you be using?

I don't remember the exact one he said but I do remember he said its a spread bore opening. so I can go with a spread bore carb or use a spacer and go with a square bore carb.

Check out the progress of my restoration on my YouTube Channel. Click here: TheOriginalLugnuts (Updated Weekly)

lugnuts

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Wheaton, IL
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 04:08:15 PM »
Intake is the RPM which I believe has a spread bore opening. so thoughts on a carb?

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 04:08:15 PM »

olds403

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 09:50:34 PM »
holley sniper qjet was just released. 

lugnuts

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Wheaton, IL
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 09:20:15 AM »
holley sniper qjet was just released. 
I just looked it up and its $1300 + $300 for the fuel system kit. would be nice to get but right now its not in the budget with everything else I need to buy.

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 07:21:19 PM »
Intake is the RPM which I believe has a spread bore opening. so thoughts on a carb?

I'd get the correct 403 q-jet. The number is 17059253 for one from a 79, or 17058253 from a 78, which I would think would be the easiest ones to find. Of course, you'd need to do a little modification for richer primary fuel. Cliff Ruggles ( cliffshighperformance.com ) can sell you a kit and tell you what to do. Or he might have one ready to go, that'll work well for what you're doing, available for sale. 
Steve F.

lugnuts

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Wheaton, IL
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 07:31:08 PM »

I'd get the correct 403 q-jet. The number is 17059253 for one from a 79, or 17058253 from a 78, which I would think would be the easiest ones to find. Of course, you'd need to do a little modification for richer primary fuel. Cliff Ruggles ( cliffshighperformance.com ) can sell you a kit and tell you what to do. Or he might have one ready to go, that'll work well for what you're doing, available for sale. 
thought about it but I'd rather not bother with hunting down the correct Q-Jet and then spend money to have someone else tune it when I can just get a brand new carb that I can tune myself.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 09:58:31 PM »
In that case hunt down the original and still tune yourself, pay for only the parts you want to put into it, not someone else's idea of what all generic engines would want, and then replace anyway.

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 05:17:56 AM »
You would need some mods on it for that kind of power, but I am a Qjet fan.  That is not a rare carb.  That is definitely what I would do.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

kingwil

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 02:58:35 PM »
         There are a lot of good options available.  Do you want to have a Q-Jet or should I rephrase that and ask, do you have to have a Q-Jet?  If so, then you need to spend the $$ or find an original (replacement for the original) that is rebuildable.  You have to do what will satisfy your needs and wants, and your heart is set on.  There's some decent Throttle Body Fuel Injection models (already mentioned above), and I know a few that have had great luck with the newer TBI models on Olds 403 & 455s, and also on Pontiac 400s and 455s.  Another choice is to go "old school" aftermarket with a Holley Vac Secondary 750cfm with Electric Choke, or a Holley Double Pumper in the 750 to 850 cfm range.  The Holleys appear to come with #72 jets and if you chose, you can go lighter with #68 jets, which Olds Motors seem to like on the primaries. 
          I think you mentioned that the 403 will have an Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake Manifold.  Is this going in a TA with a shaker hood?  If using the shaker, how do you plan to accommodate the increased height (might be 2 inches taller) of the RPM Intake and get everything to fit properly?
79 Nocturne Blue 403 Firebird TA
72 Viking Blue 455 Cutlass Convertible

lugnuts

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Wheaton, IL
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 01:39:45 PM »
         There are a lot of good options available.  Do you want to have a Q-Jet or should I rephrase that and ask, do you have to have a Q-Jet?  If so, then you need to spend the $$ or find an original (replacement for the original) that is rebuildable.  You have to do what will satisfy your needs and wants, and your heart is set on.  There's some decent Throttle Body Fuel Injection models (already mentioned above), and I know a few that have had great luck with the newer TBI models on Olds 403 & 455s, and also on Pontiac 400s and 455s.  Another choice is to go "old school" aftermarket with a Holley Vac Secondary 750cfm with Electric Choke, or a Holley Double Pumper in the 750 to 850 cfm range.  The Holleys appear to come with #72 jets and if you chose, you can go lighter with #68 jets, which Olds Motors seem to like on the primaries. 
          I think you mentioned that the 403 will have an Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake Manifold.  Is this going in a TA with a shaker hood?  If using the shaker, how do you plan to accommodate the increased height (might be 2 inches taller) of the RPM Intake and get everything to fit properly?
I don't have to have a Q-Jet I'm open to anything. 

as far as the shaker goes I have a WFO drop base aircleaner that I bought years ago that Larry made for the Olds engine so I think that should give me the clearance I need to fit.

lugnuts

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Wheaton, IL
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 01:43:05 PM »
You would need some mods on it for that kind of power, but I am a Qjet fan.  That is not a rare carb.  That is definitely what I would do.
would a re-manufactured Q-Jet from Rock Auto work? I was googling Q-jets and came across them.  anyplace else to find a decent one?

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 06:06:05 PM »
there was a guy who just made his first post today, in this forum, about the quality of rebuilt qjets from the auto parts store.  Most of us who've been there would have low expectations of a 40 year old reman from the store.  that is not a great option.  If the price is $100 then you might say it's worth a shot.  But no more than that.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 06:06:05 PM »

lugnuts

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Wheaton, IL
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 09:44:10 PM »
there was a guy who just made his first post today, in this forum, about the quality of rebuilt qjets from the auto parts store.  Most of us who've been there would have low expectations of a 40 year old reman from the store.  that is not a great option.  If the price is $100 then you might say it's worth a shot.  But no more than that.
it was like $300. Iand my thought was it was junk but I figured I'd ask.

via3d

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2018, 12:08:33 PM »
lugnuts...    So did I understand right, you are wanting ready-to-go off the shelf carb?   no DIY time?   I personally prefer DIY, thats' half the fun for me not to mention cheaper. 

I concur with others - go Q-JET IMO.  Fine carb that distributes a good balance in low speeds city driving and makes good adjustment at higher RPM's wen needed with the larger secondaries.

....many 10's of thousands made and ran through couple decades...  improving through the years.

USED    = Q-JET
REMAN =  Q-JET
DIY      =  Q-JET
NEW    =  pick your price range and application - if you have a heavy foot and will drag a time or two... $$$ will get you any flavor performance carb. Don't Quickfuels 650 start at $325 and the 750 go up from there?

REMAN

CAUTION from Summit, RockAuto and others - you do NOT know which #### QJET carb you are getting. 

Summit is 1 hr from me. I will be frequenting there this fall/Winter so if you want me to look at one in stock there I will (get right #) ... 

Summit has reman from UREMCO for $350 (as you have no core), free ship. 

Remember there is a 5% discount for RockAuto on our forum here somewhere, posting monthly or quarterly.

USED
I found couple over the summer for 150 used...body fuel inlet not stripped. PM me if you would like me to check on them again.

I agree with others as you can see - go QJET
Grand73am is further the wiser....  find the '78 or '79  ###253  Q-Jet...  These are the 800cfm compared to earlier models without modification( can get more out of it).

But this is a DIY route a reman specific ###253 is found

DIY
RockAuto has a basic rebuild kit for like $20... 
Or you can go upwards of $75 for new floats, etc with Cliff's Ruggles Qjet kit... with him it seems from others feedback you get personal conversations & knowledge share and you cant put a price on that....

If you have time while motor is being built, be patient and you may find one around $100 and the $20 kit is likely all you need = $120

or get a Q-Jet more immediate for $150 used and get Cliff's rebuild kit $75 =  $ 225

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 01:41:58 PM by via3d »
~ J

via3d

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 01:26:22 PM »
it was like $300. Iand my thought was it was junk but I figured I'd ask.

Subjective IMO.   
Just for thought:   What about a reman. carb is junk?  the metal ? rubber? paper? components used in the rebuild?  - It is all generically & comparitively the same as in any Q-JET or other carb.

If the inlet is stripped or the carb body is warped then it is defective send it back.

I see the other side of the table too - for that amount of money of a reman QJET you can buy a new Holley for $50-100 bucks more.

If it is a reputable supplier - then if the carb is defective, crap or not what you expected.  they would take it back. Summit will take back within 90 days.
If you buy from individual there is always risk, a reputable one local to you, could end up a great resource for you.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 01:49:44 PM by via3d »
~ J

lugnuts

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Wheaton, IL
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2018, 02:22:11 PM »
lugnuts...    So did I understand right, you are wanting ready-to-go off the shelf carb?   no DIY time?   I personally prefer DIY, thats' half the fun for me not to mention cheaper. 

I concur with others - go Q-JET IMO.  Fine carb that distributes a good balance in low speeds city driving and makes good adjustment at higher RPM's wen needed with the larger secondaries.

....many 10's of thousands made and ran through couple decades...  improving through the years.

USED    = Q-JET
REMAN =  Q-JET
DIY      =  Q-JET
NEW    =  pick your price range and application - if you have a heavy foot and will drag a time or two... $$$ will get you any flavor performance carb. Don't Quickfuels 650 start at $325 and the 750 go up from there?

REMAN

CAUTION from Summit, RockAuto and others - you do NOT know which #### QJET carb you are getting. 

Summit is 1 hr from me. I will be frequenting there this fall/Winter so if you want me to look at one in stock there I will (get right #) ... 

Summit has reman from UREMCO for $350 (as you have no core), free ship. 

Remember there is a 5% discount for RockAuto on our forum here somewhere, posting monthly or quarterly.

USED
I found couple over the summer for 150 used...body fuel inlet not stripped. PM me if you would like me to check on them again.

I agree with others as you can see - go QJET
Grand73am is further the wiser....  find the '78 or '79  ###253  Q-Jet...  These are the 800cfm compared to earlier models without modification( can get more out of it).

But this is a DIY route a reman specific ###253 is found

DIY
RockAuto has a basic rebuild kit for like $20... 
Or you can go upwards of $75 for new floats, etc with Cliff's Ruggles Qjet kit... with him it seems from others feedback you get personal conversations & knowledge share and you cant put a price on that....

If you have time while motor is being built, be patient and you may find one around $100 and the $20 kit is likely all you need = $120

or get a Q-Jet more immediate for $150 used and get Cliff's rebuild kit $75 =  $ 225

I have no problem with DIYing the carb I just don't have the correct Q-jet to DIY. I have a QJet buts its off a late 60's BB Olds motor and the fule inlet on it is stripped so its worthless to me.

If I could get my hands on an inexpensive correct # carb without the fule inlet being stripped then I would go that route. if you know of any I'd be interested.  Personally though I prefer the Holley's because well I can tune them with my eyes closed.

1979 Black and Tan

• Active Forum Member
  • '79 in Sunny San Diego
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2018, 03:27:07 PM »
Sean at SMI can build yours based on your engine specs or or he can sell you one he has

https://www.smicarburetor.com/

1979 Trans Am
100% California Car, originally Atlantis Blue/ Black...All Original Unmolested 403, TH350, 2.41
63,300 orig. miles
1971 Chevy K20 4x4

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2018, 03:27:07 PM »
You can help support TAC!