Author Topic: Pontiac stroker advice for 500hp...stroke size,cam,intake,heads?  (Read 4296 times)

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Pontiac stroker advice for 500hp...stroke size,cam,intake,heads?
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2018, 06:14:13 AM »
Not to Knock anyone down I am posting a few Vids to show all what they are up against in the real world.
Its How Fast they have become.

The Very Best Pro Tour is not enough.

Coming Next.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2018, 06:15:52 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-YtwWIMAeY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-YtwWIMAeY</a>

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2018, 06:19:31 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3U85Jro454" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3U85Jro454</a>

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2018, 06:23:00 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHzYNaSwej0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHzYNaSwej0</a>

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2018, 06:25:14 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rop0TulJSto" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rop0TulJSto</a>

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2018, 06:25:14 AM »

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2018, 06:27:07 AM »
All of the the Main Stream Combinations sold by all Pontiac Engine Builders Will Fail.

There is No Such Thing as Safe Zone Street Racing as You Can See.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2018, 06:35:25 AM »
You do not have to go there of course.

But if you want to you must realize all the past combinations were sold to generate mainstream money income for the Builders.

To Beat a Race Car On the Street you can only do it one way.

Build a Race car & Put it on the street.
License plate makes it street legal.
Also need working headlights to see at night.

This is the World I have know since I was 17 years old.
Going on 49 now.
Man they have gotten fast.

As soon as you think safe zone you lost already.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 06:37:24 AM by 70RAIV455 »

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2018, 06:36:22 AM »
You do not have to go there of course.

But if you want to you must realize all the past combinations were sold to generate mainstream money income for the Builders.

To Beat a Race Car On the Street you can only do it one way.

Build a Race car & Put it on the street.
License plate makes it street legal.
Also need working headlights to see at night.

This is the World I have know since I was 17 years old.
Going on 49 now.
Man they have gotten fast.

As soon as you think safe zone you lost already.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2018, 06:48:06 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSd1aZHqMTg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSd1aZHqMTg</a>

One more Guys.

THE BIG RACE.

It Turned the Corvette world upside down.
Was not even a Hellcat.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2018, 06:51:33 AM »
I have a combination of my own that works in my 1970 Trans Am.

Smoked 9 second drag cars on the street with my T/A.

Most will not like it.
It is 100 % Race Car.

Solution for guys is BOOST.
TURBO CHARGING BOOST.

oldskool

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2018, 08:04:17 AM »
With all the respect & restraint I can muster, at this time:

This last series of posts are extremely unsuited for this thread ! I can only speak for myself, of course. But, I could care less how fast the modern street racing cars are. Racing at 140mph on the street is a VERY dangerous, unintelligent, & in most cases an illegal thing to do. And you'll never have the quickest race car. Those are running over 300mph on the 1000' tracks.

So, again, in my own opinion, I think that if you wanna post this kind of junk on this Pontiac forum you should start your own thread about it. Then those who care about it can read & post on that thread.

One more time, I'll say that this is my own personal opinion, and may not reflect the opinion of others here. And, there is no personal offense meant by what I've said.

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2018, 08:04:44 AM »
hey I'll be up in McHenry this week, meet you in Elgin for a Race next Friday night bring that 70 T/A
www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2018, 08:23:59 AM »
hey I'll be up in McHenry this week, meet you in Elgin for a Race next Friday night bring that 70 T/A
Run on the streets late at night.
It's not your game.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2018, 08:27:13 AM »
With all the respect & restraint I can muster, at this time:

This last series of posts are extremely unsuited for this thread ! I can only speak for myself, of course. But, I could care less how fast the modern street racing cars are. Racing at 140mph on the street is a VERY dangerous, unintelligent, & in most cases an illegal thing to do. And you'll never have the quickest race car. Those are running over 300mph on the 1000' tracks.

So, again, in my own opinion, I think that if you wanna post this kind of junk on this Pontiac forum you should start your own thread about it. Then those who care about it can read & post on that thread.

One more time, I'll say that this is my own personal opinion, and may not reflect the opinion of others here. And, there is no personal offense meant by what I've said.
Some of those guys are hitting 200 mph.

This is the same basis of the 1964 Pontiac GTO.
1964 year.
Pontiac started it all.

I cited what is really going on today.

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2018, 08:56:54 AM »
bring it big mouth!!  :P
www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2018, 08:56:54 AM »

tajoe

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2018, 09:15:36 AM »
Wow! You guys have some "serious" machines there. And "all" Pontiac power. I love it.
(I think I could've retired 3 times on just one of those machines) :lol:
So what else is out there?

"You can sell an old man a young mans car,
but you can't sell a young man an old mans car"
                                       Bunkie Knudsen

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2018, 09:54:29 AM »
bring it big mouth!!  :P
Stay on the Road Tracks.
Where you belong.
Not going to work on Streets Running Real Fast.

Skip Fix

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2018, 11:38:43 AM »
My motor on a conservative dyno was about 530. Different calculators using weight and MPH at my track runs put it closer to 550-570 HP. I think getting over 500 hp it is going to take some ported heads for most folks. Now I just got a dyno sheet from a'69 Firebird NHRA stocker friend whose non ported and no acid treated heads on a 400 are close to 500 HP-but he's been racing that car for almost 40 years and has a BIG stocker cam in it. His previous RAIV 400 motor ran a 274 @ 0.050 cam!

Those high HP cars usually boosted definitely are fast. Hard to beat boost making your own atmosphere. I've seen many at the Texas Mile and some at the last West Houston Street Car races at the tack in Sealy(owned by Hennessey who builds a lot of high end cars) and even on a prepped track Hellcats ZO6s have a hard time hooking up. Saw a ZO6 smack the wall even breaking  them loose mid track.
1978 black Trans Am original owner 455 E heads 10.99@ 124 on pump gas
2004 Pulse Red GTO
1965 GTO 3 speed 4 bbl project
1964 Impala SS 409 stroker project

tajoe

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2018, 11:51:35 AM »
(I missed this entire page, before posting above) :x
Just gutta say, I agree with Old Skool on this one. Getting a bit off topic from what the OP was lookin for. Don't think he was looking to be "the fastest", Just wanted something above and beyond the norm. We all know how much power these modern computerized marvels are putting out, (on the dyno). And also know it takes more than power to win a race..."especially" on the street. A perfect example, Chiefs Butler built Poncho vs Riches modern Hemi Challenger. I know it was at the track, but the point is, racing to be successful requires the entire package. (Power, traction, driving, and LUCK)

in the old days, we would mark out a !/4 mile, with another 1/4 mile shutdown on a deserted (in the middle of no-where) street, W/O any side streets or driveways entering it, run from a dead stop, to the end. It was fun, even if we were only doing 95-110 MPH. Most times, even cheater slicks didn't help that much. You had to know your cars ability to hook up, to give it that "just right" amount of clutch dumping RPMS, and how much throttle before mashing it, and powerhifting. Those cars had an honest 300-400 flywheel HP. And there were "lots" of up-sets, you wouldn't believe, not only because of driver error, state of tune, ect., but mostly...traction (or lack there of) is the great equalizer. Of course we're talking "drag racing".

This new modern type of "rolling start" racing, on a public highway, doing well over 120 MPH, for 10 miles or more is purely juvenile and insane. And why are they "rolling starting"? Cause the tires won't put the power to the pavement outta the hole. Seems like a waste of money to me, but hey, what do I know. To each his own.
Now if this same "street car" is to be raced on the weekends on a track, for competition reasons, different story all together. Have at it. I don't see a T/A as a drag car anyway, per se, (altho the suspension could be set up to), but more of a road car.
 I like Roger Bolingers T/A and think it is the epitome of  T/A racing. Not sure how it would perform on the street tho.
                                       Bunkie Knudsen

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2018, 01:07:45 PM »
(I missed this entire page, before posting above) :x
Just gutta say, I agree with Old Skool on this one. Getting a bit off topic from what the OP was lookin for. Don't think he was looking to be "the fastest", Just wanted something above and beyond the norm. We all know how much power these modern computerized marvels are putting out, (on the dyno). And also know it takes more than power to win a race..."especially" on the street. A perfect example, Chiefs Butler built Poncho vs Riches modern Hemi Challenger. I know it was at the track, but the point is, racing to be successful requires the entire package. (Power, traction, driving, and LUCK)

in the old days, we would mark out a !/4 mile, with another 1/4 mile shutdown on a deserted (in the middle of no-where) street, W/O any side streets or driveways entering it, run from a dead stop, to the end. It was fun, even if we were only doing 95-110 MPH. Most times, even cheater slicks didn't help that much. You had to know your cars ability to hook up, to give it that "just right" amount of clutch dumping RPMS, and how much throttle before mashing it, and powerhifting. Those cars had an honest 300-400 flywheel HP. And there were "lots" of up-sets, you wouldn't believe, not only because of driver error, state of tune, ect., but mostly...traction (or lack there of) is the great equalizer. Of course we're talking "drag racing".

This new modern type of "rolling start" racing, on a public highway, doing well over 120 MPH, for 10 miles or more is purely juvenile and insane. And why are they "rolling starting"? Cause the tires won't put the power to the pavement outta the hole. Seems like a waste of money to me, but hey, what do I know. To each his own.
Now if this same "street car" is to be raced on the weekends on a track, for competition reasons, different story all together. Have at it. I don't see a T/A as a drag car anyway, per se, (altho the suspension could be set up to), but more of a road car.
 I like Roger Bolingers T/A and think it is the epitome of  T/A racing. Not sure how it would perform on the street tho.
All purpose cars are Tough Tajoe.
That is the point.
Biggest setback is all want nice street manners.
It can be done many ways.
Comes down to budget.
Like you stated also Driver skills.
They do run from a dead stop too these modern marvel muslecars.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2018, 01:09:09 PM »
Pontiac was ahead of all.
1 st Production Turbo V8 ever.
Then it stopped.

See where it progressed to now.

tajoe

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2018, 01:48:05 PM »
As much as I give Pontiac credit for their 301T, I don't know why they claimed it was the  1st turbocharged production V8. Buick had them beat almost 20 years before.
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2013/04/18/yesterdays-car-of-tomorrow-1962-1963-oldsmobile-jetfire/
                                       Bunkie Knudsen

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2018, 02:21:59 PM »
As much as I give Pontiac credit for their 301T, I don't know why they claimed it was the  1st turbocharged production V8. Buick had them beat almost 20 years before.
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2013/04/18/yesterdays-car-of-tomorrow-1962-1963-oldsmobile-jetfire/
Turbo Fire Rocket Fuel.
Methanol injection Tajoe.

tajoe

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2018, 02:57:57 PM »
LOL. Yeah. That'll supply some boost! :lol:
                                       Bunkie Knudsen

yellow1098

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2018, 10:18:42 PM »
I was actually at the track last night and saw quite a few modern marvel 1000hp cars...zo6's...hell cats..GtR's....but like Dave gets and old school says...having all that power doesn't always mean a dam thing..1 if you can drive like most of the guys who have them can't and if you just buy them and don't build them who cares....I'm not out to be the fastest drag racer or street racer on earth...just have a fast cars that I can have fun with put down some great times and surprised people...also that it's different and in my opinion way cooler than something I can go buy for 100 grand...those are the coolest until something new comes out but a badass TA that is no joke is priceless and will not get old.....if being the fastest is all it's about come bring whatever you want against my Ducati and I'll give you a head start...I do love the passion for winning and going fast though

yellow1098

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2018, 10:39:28 PM »
https://youtu.be/LXnN2eeD_zk

https://youtu.be/x9KTyW_1fBs

Shout out to DMR performance and Ryan who is helping me with building the stroker we are discussing to get the TA where I want....if you guys need a hot rod guy who knows his stuff in orlando you couldn't find a better dude and has my car running great!

And Dave at PTFB for setting up my suspension with almost all his parts... well will be all his parts when I'm done!

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 10:48:01 AM by yellow1098 »

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2018, 11:22:55 PM »
I was actually at the track last night and saw quite a few modern marvel 1000hp cars...zo6's...hell cats..GtR's....but like Dave gets and old school says...having all that power doesn't always mean a dam thing..1 if you can drive like most of the guys who have them can't and if you just buy them and don't build them who cares....I'm not out to be the fastest drag racer or street racer on earth...just have a fast cars that I can have fun with put down some great times and surprised people...also that it's different and in my opinion way cooler than something I can go buy for 100 grand...those are the coolest until something new comes out but a badass TA that is no joke is priceless and will not get old.....if being the fastest is all it's about come bring whatever you want against my Ducati and I'll give you a head start...I do love the passion for winning and going fast though
We are the Last group that knows what a Pontiac V8 is.
The Younger Gen only knows LS.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member

Skip Fix

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2018, 09:13:43 AM »
If you want to boost a Pontiac Mark at Luhn Performance has some various bracket kits and a lot of good knowledge.
2004 Pulse Red GTO

Skip Fix

• Active Forum Member
2004 Pulse Red GTO

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when your'e Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2018, 12:38:59 AM »
You know what makes a car really  fast?
Money..
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

yellow1098

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2018, 08:29:07 AM »
Money..

Haha that's for sure and that's why I posted my original question to find some help with my combination...to get the most out of it within my budget...if I had unlimited funds I would just swap an LS7 in and turbo to the moon....but I don't ha

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2018, 09:58:32 PM »
Money..

Haha that's for sure and that's why I posted my original question to find some help with my combination...to get the most out of it within my budget...if I had unlimited funds I would just swap an LS7 in and turbo to the moon....but I don't ha

Its actually very affordable Turbocharged LS 5.3 76 mm single Turbo.
Engine is literally Bone stock as long as its healthy and good shape.
700 + Hp on Pump gas.
E85 Fuel about 875 Hp.
Race gas Q16 1,000 + HP.

Seen it done in the race shop I worked at last year.
LS V8 & Mitsubishi EVO & 5.0 Fords.
I was the old man in the shop.
None of the younger guys knew what a Pontiac V8 was.
Assumed Big Chief runs a LS V8 in his Crow GTO.

Showed them pictures & said WTF is that ? Not an LS !.
PONTIAC V8 Power Twin Turbo Cranking out 4,000 HP on 60 + psi Boost Pressure.

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when your'e Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2018, 11:35:35 PM »
LS engines are pretty amazing. For the HP you can get , I agree they are affordable, depending on definition of affordable of course.
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

yellow1098

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2018, 08:36:55 AM »
I definitely want to keep this angry bird all Pontiac power....now back to the stroker questions ha...and this may be an odd question....but one thing I wonder is what makes the different choices between the 461 they suggested the other size strokes? 468/472? Would do they suggest the 461?

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2018, 09:19:15 AM »
I definitely want to keep this angry bird all Pontiac power....now back to the stroker questions ha...and this may be an odd question....but one thing I wonder is what makes the different choices between the 461 they suggested the other size strokes? 468/472? Would do they suggest the 461?

depends on the bore size, a .030 over 400 with a 4.25 stroker crank makes 461 if you started with a 455 and put the same 4.25 stroke crank in it you would have more cubes

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2018, 09:24:43 AM »
In general larger cubic inch engines produce more torque.
They will not always produce more horsepower without better flowing heads and Much Hotter Cams used.
Race Cams.
Budget is another big factor.
Big High flow heads are expensive.

Many can not drive and get the power down clean with large engines.
Fuel consumption goes up or MPG Drops.

Race math going on.
Can show later with Engine simulations posted by me.

Many more 400s made than 455s.
Stroker 400 popular.
Prefer a 455 Block myself.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 09:56:21 AM by 70RAIV455 »

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2018, 09:27:09 AM »
Ideally you want to be able to drop the hammer down.
Hook up immediate with Zero tire spin.
Gone and car handles for intended purpose.

Like a Teslas Roadster or Teslas P30 does.

Hard to do with a Big Engine past 455.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2018, 09:28:32 AM »
Easiest way Hotrodder point of view how well a combo works without Racing or Street Racing is how well does it do  Burnouts ?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 09:55:24 AM by 70RAIV455 »

« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2018, 09:28:32 AM »
You can help support TAC!