Author Topic: Various speakers questions  (Read 1817 times)

mrandrew85

• Active Forum Member
Various speakers questions
« on: June 17, 2018, 09:44:38 PM »
I’m putting 6 by 9 speakers in my rear package tray. I have a set of kicker speakers that were given to me. I do need some parts to install them.

I have a new package tray cover. I do need some sound deadened to put underneath it don’t I? I can use something like Dynamat and then use the rest of the roll on places like the floor?

When I took out the old speakers they had special bolts that held them in. I seem to have lost them. Can I just use bolts to hold the speakers in or do they make special plastic and metal bolts?

Is there anything wrong with using the factory speaker wire or is bad to use the older wire?

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
Re: Various speakers questions
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 05:49:55 AM »
Some good infor about speakers.

http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=79217.msg753687#msg753687

Also I thought that the speakers where held in via the grill studs.

Regards, Jack

mrandrew85

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 06:53:35 AM »
Sounds like I need new grill studs!

mrandrew85

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 12:00:40 PM »
can I use regular bolts to hold the speakers down or do they need to be something special?

Steve B

• Active Forum Member
Steve
1980 Trans Am, 400, TH400 auto

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 01:08:05 PM »

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 05:15:38 PM »
The original metal speaker grilles had the studs attached to the grilles, as shown in the photo below(that I stole from Aus78).

But, the answer depends on how you are installing your speakers.

Did your new speakers come with their own grilles? If so, the new grilles should come some studs and nuts to use. You would install the studs in the grilles and sit the grilles on the package tray with the studs going through the package tray and shelf and hang the speakers to the studs from underneath. Of course, if your package tray isn't pre-cut for speaker holes, you'll have to cut it after you install it.

If you don't have grilles, and you want some, you could probably get some 6 x 9 grilles from a place that sells car audio stuff.

Or did you get one of those mesh package trays that you don't use speaker grilles with? In that case you could just hang the speakers under the package tray using some small diameter, but long(ish) bolts and nuts from the hardware store. The length of the bolts would be determined by how long they have to be to go thru the package tray shelf and then thru the speaker housing holes, and have some extra length for the nuts to screw on to.

As for the speaker wire, the old wire would work, but you might not get the best sound. Some newer, bigger gauge wire would probably work best with those Kickers.

40875582020_637113765a_b by grand73am, on Flickr
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 05:19:25 PM by Grand73Am »
Steve F.

mrandrew85

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 11:10:18 PM »
I got the speakers installed. I now need to install a deck. I didn’t have a deck in the car when I got it so I’m not sure what wires go to the deck. Could anyone tell me the wires that go to the deck look like.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 11:12:58 PM by mrandrew85 »

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 11:35:59 PM »
There should be some version of this present in the radio cutout area, bundles of wires not being used. Nearly always cut since the plugs only fit the Delco radios. Depending on radio options it may only have half as many wires in the plugs.

For instance the black plug is the main power and in Firebirds often only has 3 wires, yellow is +, Grey is for lighting, black is ground. The other pink is power antennae. Those 3 wires are likely all that remain, coming out of main dash harness, the other plugs could easily be ripped out and lost with old speakers.

Delco radio plugs by Aus78Formula, on Flickr
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 11:41:58 PM by Aus78Formula »

mrandrew85

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 12:16:14 AM »
Wouldn’t I need more wires than just those four? I mean I would need a wire with power all the time, one with power when the key is on, and another for ground?

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 10:25:55 AM »
Just the ignition power, no presets or memory back then.

mrandrew85

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 06:54:50 PM »
I tried to wire in the deck today however it didn’t work.

On the back of the new deck I found the black ground wire and wired it to a black ground wire under the dash. Next I found a two prong connector under the dash. It had an orange and a brown wire coming from it. I connected the orange wire from that connector to the yellow wire coming from the cd deck. Lastly I connected a yellow wire from the main harness to the red wire coming out of the back of the deck.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 03:37:17 AM »
So you used the digital clock harness instead.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 11:28:34 PM by Aus78Formula »

mrandrew85

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 06:27:26 AM »
sorry buddy. I don't think that I have a 3 or 4 wire connector with yellow, grey, and black.

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 07:17:17 AM »
Are you using an original Delco radio? If so, there's a wiring diagram stamped on the bottom plate of the radio. It corresponds to the wires on those connectors that plug into the back of the radio.

As Aus78 said, on the black plug, the yellow wire is positive. It's switched power, so only on when the ignition switch is on or on accessory. Gray is for the light. And black is ground.

You don't have to find a dedicated plug under the dash to connect them. Just run a new wire to a switched power source on the fuse panel, if you can't find a wire for it dangling under the dash somewhere. Connect the gray to another gray wire under the dash for the light. And make sure the black wire is to a metal ground. Find some metal under there to ground it to. The black wire you connected it to might not be connected to a metal ground. Of course, you can use a test light to test for a switched powered wire and a ground.

The other 8 wires, if you have that many, are for 4 speakers.

Then turn the ignition switch to the acc position and see if it works. Make sure you have the antenna lead plugged in also, or you'll get nothing.
Steve F.

mrandrew85

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 12:51:46 AM »
i removed the antenna from the car because it was broken. do i need the actual antenna in the car for grounding purposes or do i just need the lead from it?

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 12:51:46 AM »

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 07:08:01 AM »
Of course, you won't pick up any radio stations without an antenna connected to the radio. You could pick up some signals with just the lead wire connected, but without the antenna mast, the signals won't be as strong and you won't get as many stations. The antenna on the car doesn't have anything to do with having a ground. It's for picking up radio signals.

Most cars have a windshield with an antenna built into it (2 lines that run down the middle of it) and there would be an antenna lead under the dash that you connect to the radio. Some cars had a fender antenna with a lead to connect to the radio. If you don't have either one, a convenient way to go is to buy a "hidden antenna". Do a Google search for hidden antenna and you can find them. Or if it was a fender antenna, you can buy another fender antenna and install that. You'll probably have to go to eBay to find the old type of stainless/chrome fender antenna that is similar to what came on old cars. If you had a power antenna, you don't have to get a power antenna, unless you just want one. A regular non-power antenna would work just as well.
Steve F.

mrandrew85

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 07:17:22 AM »
I was thinking about skipping the radio entirely and just running off of my phone.

mrandrew85

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 10:36:38 AM »
Alright fellows. I got the deck working and I have power at two rear 6 by 9 speakers. Now I need to know what I should do for front speakers. I have openings on the dash for the 3.5 inch speakers so I could just replace those. On the other hand I could do some 6.5 inch speakers in the kick panels. I do have a set of 6.5 inch speakers laying around.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 01:31:42 PM »
Keep the dash speakers and call it done. The kick panel speakers are in a terrible location for both audio and for affecting air vent setup.

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 03:06:41 PM »
Steve D
'76 LE 455/4speed/solid roof - SOLD
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

mrandrew85

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2018, 08:06:03 PM »
crutchfield says that they only know of 5 brands of 3.5 inch speakers that will fit our cars. Is that a clearance issue with the grills or is there another problem?

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2018, 08:06:03 PM »
You can help support TAC!