Author Topic: 88 trans am need help soon  (Read 406 times)

ddman

• Active Forum Member
88 trans am need help soon
« on: August 25, 2018, 03:00:53 PM »
I met an older gentleman today at the t/a nags here in Dayton. He has a 88 t/a, 305 engine. He is needing an eco for it. He swapped one out but the car runs rough he said. He thinks that the one he put on cam from a car with different motor. I’m not real up to date on the third gens. So what I’m looking for is to for is to find out what emcee he needs. The numbers are gone from both his and he can’t order one with out the numbers. I didn’t have time to look on some cars here as I met him as I was leavening. But I told him I will find out what I can and talk with him tomarrow. So if any of you guys can help me out I know we both will be greatful. Thanks.
79 Trans Am
80 Trans Am
78 dodge magnum xe
97 chevy 4x4
99 Dakota
05 Jeep Liberty

sparks454

• Forum Member
Re: 88 trans am need help soon
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 06:10:38 PM »
Hi DDman.  There are used ecm's out there for many 3rd generation firebirds and T/A's.  I have the Pocket Programmer 2 and some computer chips as I used to tune these calls all the time.  part number 1227165 was pretty common with the TPI cars, but the TBI cars had different ecm part numbers, ie. 1228063 .  Can always try a scrap yard.  There are many settings from fueling, ignition,etc that can contribute to what your friend is seeing now.  See if a scrap yard has either of those part numbers depending upon your application.  If it's a manual or automatic car, that will make a difference too on what's programmed in the computer.

There are also sites like Moates.com that have parts to alter the stock computer to a point where you can swap the PROM(chip) in a few minutes after changing some parameters on it using the Pocket Programmer 2 and a standard computer.  All in all, those items to do tuning yourself on that car are a few hundred bucks in total and you can then start changing parts like the cam, injectors, timing and when the cooling fans come on yourself. Your buddy can alter timing and fueling and all kinds of things even on the stock T/A..  Pretty cool stuff for that time period and all using the stock ECM.

There is a ton of information also over at www.thirdgen.org.  Been a member there for over 20 years.

Hope that helps!
Chris

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 08:13:45 PM »
Great info! Thanks for posting.

One of these days I am going to get back to the 350 85 TPI in my 67 Camaro. I may need to dig up some programming info then. I know the 85 has the MAF so it adapts to changes better than the speed density one. I also have a complete 88 TPI set up.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 08:13:45 PM »
You can help support TAC!