Author Topic: Surging Issues  (Read 292 times)

TwoTripsTA

• Active Forum Member
      • Trans Am Road Trip
Surging Issues
« on: August 14, 2018, 04:28:20 PM »
Hey I am considering replacing the radiator in my 79 SE with the 403.  The car has always had an issue with elevation and heat.  It can surge and die back repeatedly when ascending.  Then if I pull off a freeway it will sometimes die as I try to pull away from the first stop.  At this point it will not restart until cooled.

Temp is usually fine - until it dies, at which point it creeps up of course.  I had the mixture adjusted for the mountains but this does not seem to have helped. 

Question I have is would a replacement rad likely be the answer?  I have another trip planned which will involved both elevation and heat - and my wife gets freaked when the car to gets surging.  I am happy to go down this road but (given the car does not over heat as such) I am not wanting to invest in this if it is unlikely to fix the issue.  Any help appreciated.

Tim

71455formula

• Active Forum Member
Re: Surging Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 09:28:14 PM »
What kinda elevation  and heat change change are we talking? As you go up in elevation the ambient air temp goes down and the air thins out. Its your temp gauge showing the engine getting hot?
1971 LS5 Formula. It's on the road finally!
2013 GMC Sierra 5.3l 6 speed Diamond White(sold)
2013 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2 6 speed AWD (sold)

TwoTripsTA

• Active Forum Member
      • Trans Am Road Trip
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 01:50:11 PM »
No. Not while running.

skip99

• Active Forum Member
  • Ohio
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 03:07:44 PM »
Almost sounds more like a vac advance and timing issue, is the vac advance line in stock position? Or straight to vac source on carb or intake? Does it work fine or maybe a vac leak?

tajoe

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 04:42:11 PM »
You may also think about vapor lock.If it dies on the side of the road, don't try and crank it. Pull off the air cleaner, pump the throttle lever, and see if the accelerator pump squirts, (checking for fuel in the bowl). If it is vapor lock, you have a few options, but 1st off, if you have a QJ, on the back of the main carb body, is the hot idle compensator. You might want to pull off the cover, and see how things look in there.
(Just a possibility, and an easy place to start).
"You can sell an old man a young mans car,
but you can't sell a young man an old mans car"
                                       Bunkie Knudsen

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 04:42:11 PM »

79GoldnTan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 05:35:53 PM »
What Tahoe said, also check fuel filters.
79 solar gold    
461.   Factory 4 speed
PTFB SFC
PTFB 1LE
3.08 rear  for now
Lots O Fun

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 05:35:53 PM »
You can help support TAC!