Author Topic: Fusable links for the starter. Anyone know where to find replacement wires?  (Read 377 times)

bmanrrt

• Forum Member
Hi Everyone. This is my 1st post. Thank you for adding me. I recently bought a 79 TA. The starter died so I just replaced it. The wires with fusible links looked a little rough, but I was advised by people who know more than me to just fix the insulation and use them because the replacements are hard to find. Well I replaced the starter (which I had tested before I installed), but now it seems that those wires are the problem since it will not turn over. Does anyone know where to find replacement wires? I have been searching the net for about an hour with no luck yet. Thank you in advance for any help with this.

PS: I am trying to post a picture but I cannot seem to figure out how...lol
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 08:05:22 PM by bmanrrt »

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
You can get them at your local auto zone,  pep boys, advance, Napa, etc.
John Paige
Lab-14.com

bmanrrt

• Forum Member
Thank you. Autozone is the one that told me to repair the wires because it was hard to find but I will try NAPA in the am.

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
The ones at Autozone are fools then, starter wires are nothing that special.  Even Wal-Mart carries universal wires...  At any rate, you can make your own with what they call welding cable and copper terminals and have something superior to anything you could buy pre-made.

1996 Pontiac Firebird Formula hardtop 6-speed

bmanrrt

• Forum Member
Thank you guys, Napa ordered a roll of 16g fusible wire that I will make 2 links with. As I was learning about this I thought the two white/yellow plastic things inline were the fusible links, but I now "believe" that they are just connectors and I should cut them off when I replace the fusible links. I wish I could post a pic. Is there a way to post a picture that I am missing?

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
Welcome to TAC!  The fusible links you are looking at (assuming you're talking about a 403 car) power everything on the whole car.  If the car is not electrically dead, then they may not actually be defective.

The fusible links, if you build them from this new roll or wire, you'll have to terminate in a big ring terminal as big as the battery cable end.   So you ought to buy those terminals new.  The other end, you can solder it or crimp it or both to the wires powering the whole rest of the car.  Solder would be best.  The yellow things are just butt connectors and GM did use them, but they're not the best.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 12:05:09 AM by firebirdparts »
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

bmanrrt

• Forum Member
Ok. Thanks for the help guys. Rofl. It turns out (after waiting 3 days for the wrong starter, then 1 more for the correct one, then learning about fusible links etc) I replaced my starter and new fusible links and........... ???? Im a dumb-arse. It turns out the ignition switch is the actual problem (even though autozone did tell me my starter was bad). I now know to check that 1st...lol. I appreciate your guys help. Firebirdparts, thank you soo much for the information. What you told me confirms what I have learned over the past week (like those fusible links power the fuse box etc..). I now have new fusible links, and a new starter. I am going to drive it to my mechanic rather than tow it so that was ultimately my goal.... lol.
Thanks again guys, I appreciate the help. I would expect to see allot more of me as I learn to work on my new Baby (1979 TA, originally 403 car, has Olds 350 rocket in now)

mark369

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Rust is just Extreme Patina!
Welcome   to post photos you have to have it hosted someplace like, tiny photo or Flicker etc...….

bmanrrt

• Forum Member
Thank you sir  :D

NY81TTASE

• Active Forum Member
  • '81 turbo trans am SE
Re: Fusable links for the starter. Anyone know where to find replacement wires?
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 11:17:32 AM »
If you're missing a fusible link and you buy the correct guage  wire, what length should the new fusible link be?  Wouldnt length change its resistance?
1981 turbo trans am se

Re: Fusable links for the starter. Anyone know where to find replacement wires?
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 11:17:32 AM »
You can help support TAC!