Author Topic: Steering wheel horn - bird not aligned  (Read 617 times)

jvmagic

• Active Forum Member
Steering wheel horn - bird not aligned
« on: September 18, 2018, 12:20:34 PM »
Hi,

I replaced the steering wheel hub months ago and this past weekend I realized the bird is not aligned.  What did I do wrong?  Thanks in advance.

https://pix.sfly.com/Rh8V19
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 12:33:58 PM by jvmagic »

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when your'e Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
Re: Steering wheel horn - bird not aligned
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 11:41:15 PM »
Looks like you would just have to remove it and re install it to line it up.

Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

Steve B

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 06:56:06 AM »
X2
Steve
1980 Trans Am, 400, TH400 auto

DD78TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 05:25:24 AM »
Doesn't the hub line up with the shaft splines just one certain way? Or can it go on at any rotation?

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 07:06:57 AM »
I made the mistake of putting the hub in upside down ( I think). Everything functions properly the only difference was that the bird emblem was upside down. As you know there is a dimple registration point for alignment, I simply cut it off of the emblem and glued it into place in the correct alignment.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 07:06:57 AM »

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 05:03:43 PM »
Doesn't the hub line up with the shaft splines just one certain way? Or can it go on at any rotation?

The hub can go on in any position, BUT it should only be put on in one position. Inside the hub, on the little ledge around the steering shaft hole, there should be a "line" stamped into the metal. On the top end of the steering shaft, there should also be a line stamped on it. The hub should be positioned so the line mark in the hub is lined up with the line mark on the steering shaft. So when the line marks are at 12 o'clock, the steering wheel should be straight up, as long as your front end alignment has been done correctly. 

With the hub in the proper position, you install the horn blower mechanism with the 3 legged black plastic pedestal on it. The horn blower mechanism only fits the hub one way, since the mechanism has a metal tab sticking out the side of its base, and there's a notch inside the hub that the tab fits into. The notch is about at the 5 O'clock position. 

The horn blower mechanism has 3 notches for the horn cap prongs. When the steering wheel is in the straight up position, the 3 notches are at about 10:00, 2:00, and 6:00 O'clock positions. So, only 3 positions.

I have a loose hub, a mechanism, and a horn cap in front of me. When the hub, mechanism and cap are all positioned properly, the horn button cap will not produce the position that the original poster shows in his photo, in any of the 3 available positions. When the hub is straight up, and the bird is straight up, the bottom of the bird points down to the 6 o'clock notch in the mechanism. If the cap is rotated and stuck back on in the other 2 positions available, the bottom of the bird will point to either 10 or 2 o'clock positions. Neither of those 2 positions correspond to the position he has, which looks to be about an 8 o'clock position. So, he cannot just pull off his horn cap and put it back on and make the bird straight, since as it is, it will not go on straight.

I believe he has one of 2 problems. Either the bird emblem on his cap has been installed wrong (the bottom of the bird should point directly to one of the prongs), or the hub was not lined up properly on the steering shaft as I outlined in the first paragraph.

Another problem you can have with a misaligned hub is with the turn signal operation. The horn contact and plastic stalk protrudes into a hole in the bottom of the hub. The horn contact is part of the turn signal canceler. When the hub is turned (when steering), the turn signal canceler turns as well. If the hub is out of position, your turn signal may not cancel like it should, because it's not traveling the arc that it was designed to travel.
Steve F.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 05:11:55 PM »
Since it's out by 180 degrees you may be able to undo the steering shaft at the rag joint, but then may have to remount where the cancelling mechanism sets up. Can't remember.

jvmagic

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 05:54:57 PM »

The hub can go on in any position, BUT it should only be put on in one position. Inside the hub, on the little ledge around the steering shaft hole, there should be a "line" stamped into the metal. On the top end of the steering shaft, there should also be a line stamped on it. The hub should be positioned so the line mark in the hub is lined up with the line mark on the steering shaft. So when the line marks are at 12 o'clock, the steering wheel should be straight up, as long as your front end alignment has been done correctly. 

With the hub in the proper position, you install the horn blower mechanism with the 3 legged black plastic pedestal on it. The horn blower mechanism only fits the hub one way, since the mechanism has a metal tab sticking out the side of its base, and there's a notch inside the hub that the tab fits into. The notch is about at the 5 O'clock position. 

The horn blower mechanism has 3 notches for the horn cap prongs. When the steering wheel is in the straight up position, the 3 notches are at about 10:00, 2:00, and 6:00 O'clock positions. So, only 3 positions.

I have a loose hub, a mechanism, and a horn cap in front of me. When the hub, mechanism and cap are all positioned properly, the horn button cap will not produce the position that the original poster shows in his photo, in any of the 3 available positions. When the hub is straight up, and the bird is straight up, the bottom of the bird points down to the 6 o'clock notch in the mechanism. If the cap is rotated and stuck back on in the other 2 positions available, the bottom of the bird will point to either 10 or 2 o'clock positions. Neither of those 2 positions correspond to the position he has, which looks to be about an 8 o'clock position. So, he cannot just pull off his horn cap and put it back on and make the bird straight, since as it is, it will not go on straight.

I believe he has one of 2 problems. Either the bird emblem on his cap has been installed wrong (the bottom of the bird should point directly to one of the prongs), or the hub was not lined up properly on the steering shaft as I outlined in the first paragraph.

Another problem you can have with a misaligned hub is with the turn signal operation. The horn contact and plastic stalk protrudes into a hole in the bottom of the hub. The horn contact is part of the turn signal canceler. When the hub is turned (when steering), the turn signal canceler turns as well. If the hub is out of position, your turn signal may not cancel like it should, because it's not traveling the arc that it was designed to travel.

Could I bother you for photos (visual would greatly help me). 
jvaldez_32@hotmail.com if you need to email them.

Thanks in advance.

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 06:09:21 PM »
Yes, I put some pics up here later tonight.
Steve F.

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 07:02:55 PM »
Okay, here you go:

1) The first pic shows the line mark inside the hub. The line will be at the top, as in the photo, when the steering wheel is straight. The steering shaft should have a similar mark on top of it, and the hub should be installed with the 2 marks lining up with each other, both at the top. Sometimes the mark on the tip of the steering shaft has been worn and may be difficult to see. Use a light and magnifying glass if needed. To actually see both of those marks, you'll have to pull off the horn button cap(it just pulls off by hand), remove the steering shaft nut that's inside the horn blowing mechanism, and lift out the horn blowing mechanism. That exposes mark on the hub as shown in the photo, and you can see if the line on the end of the steering shaft lines up with it. If the marks aren't lined up, that's your problem.

2) The second pic shows the horn blower mechanism sitting inside the hub. This is in the straight up position. Notice the slot in the hub at about the 5 o'clock position. And notice the 3 slots for the horn button prongs in the horn mechanism are at 10, 2, and 6 o'clock positions.

3) The 3rd pic shows that the bottom of the bird points directly toward one of the prongs, when the bird emblem is positioned correctly on the horn button. That's the first thing to check, since it's the easiest. Just pull off the horn button and see if the bottom of the bird is pointing toward a prong, like in the photo. If so, the emblem is correctly positioned on the horn button. If not, the emblem isn't positioned correctly.

4) And the 4th pic just shows the horn button lower prong(that's beneath the bird) lining up with the lower, 6 o'clock positioned slot in the horn mechanism. Once the button is fully installed, everything would be straight when properly installed on the steering shaft.

DSCN3249 by grand73am, on Flickr
DSCN3252 by grand73am, on Flickr
DSCN3254 by grand73am, on Flickr
DSCN3260 by grand73am, on Flickr
Steve F.

jvmagic

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 04:22:26 PM »
Okay, here you go:

1) The first pic shows the line mark inside the hub. The line will be at the top, as in the photo, when the steering wheel is straight. The steering shaft should have a similar mark on top of it, and the hub should be installed with the 2 marks lining up with each other, both at the top. Sometimes the mark on the tip of the steering shaft has been worn and may be difficult to see. Use a light and magnifying glass if needed. To actually see both of those marks, you'll have to pull off the horn button cap(it just pulls off by hand), remove the steering shaft nut that's inside the horn blowing mechanism, and lift out the horn blowing mechanism. That exposes mark on the hub as shown in the photo, and you can see if the line on the end of the steering shaft lines up with it. If the marks aren't lined up, that's your problem.

2) The second pic shows the horn blower mechanism sitting inside the hub. This is in the straight up position. Notice the slot in the hub at about the 5 o'clock position. And notice the 3 slots for the horn button prongs in the horn mechanism are at 10, 2, and 6 o'clock positions.

3) The 3rd pic shows that the bottom of the bird points directly toward one of the prongs, when the bird emblem is positioned correctly on the horn button. That's the first thing to check, since it's the easiest. Just pull off the horn button and see if the bottom of the bird is pointing toward a prong, like in the photo. If so, the emblem is correctly positioned on the horn button. If not, the emblem isn't positioned correctly.

4) And the 4th pic just shows the horn button lower prong(that's beneath the bird) lining up with the lower, 6 o'clock positioned slot in the horn mechanism. Once the button is fully installed, everything would be straight when properly installed on the steering shaft.

DSCN3249 by grand73am, on Flickr
DSCN3252 by grand73am, on Flickr
DSCN3254 by grand73am, on Flickr
DSCN3260 by grand73am, on Flickr

Great write up.
How do you remove the hub?

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 04:35:13 PM »
After you pull the horn cap off, look down inside the black horn blower mechanism and you'll see a large nut. Remove the nut. Lift out  the black horn blower mechanism. Then you need a steering wheel puller. You can probably buy one for $15-20. You see those 2 holes in the hub at 9 and 3 o'clock? Those are the 2 holes you use with the steering wheel puller to pull the hub.
Steve F.

jvmagic

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 06:59:57 PM »
Finally got it correct!

Thanks for all your help.

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 07:05:18 PM »
You're welcome. Glad to hear you fixed it.
Steve F.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 11:05:26 PM »
All lies....until we can see pic with emblem lined up!

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 11:05:26 PM »