2020-B4-3

Author Topic: Remote mirror disassembly  (Read 762 times)

glhx

• Active Forum Member
Remote mirror disassembly
« on: July 23, 2018, 07:31:12 PM »
Is there a way to remove the glass and mirror cable and put it in a new mirror.
Mine is painted already but the remote system is broken.

The replacement mirror comes apart. The cable won’t go through the hole in the mounting bracket to remove it. I can dremel the hole larger, but I’d rather not. How did they put these things together and how do you get hem apart

The toggle end won’t fit through this hole. Is here some trick or something I’m missing that can get this separated

I think the toggle end will fit through his hole

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
Re: Remote mirror disassembly
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 07:59:42 PM »
Only way is to enlarge the opening with a file or rotary tool.  Really not a big deal.

You won't be able to disassemble the remote cable in a way that you'll be able to re-assemble.  It's got to come out as a unit.
Gene

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 04:32:57 AM »
There's 2 mirror casting types. One disassembles, the other was assembled as a unit and will require surgery. The mirrors are so common you probably never need to part them out to save paint or components.

http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=78602.0

glhx

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 12:37:12 PM »
One thing of note. The older style mirrors are cast as one piece and the adjustment cable cannot come out without surgery. You have to grind the hole bigger and then it’s comes out just fine.

The 79 style isn’t cast like that. The opening on the bottom of the mirror is completely open. The mirror cable comes right out with no problems. There is no grinding involved.

However.....the older style mirror. The glass is bigger than in the new style mirror. I have to get a 79 mirror for he glass to be the right size.

So right now I have old style  glass sitting in a new style mirror. It bolts in just fine but the larger glass in the smaller housing. While it looks fine. There is no adjustment from the inside of the car. It fits in there too tight.

It looks ok and no one would ever know but me. But I will be replacing it with newer style glass and cable mechanism......the cable and mechanism inside the mirror housing also looks different

OMAHA73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 03:39:56 PM »
lose the antiquated remote cable set up. anvil auto sells an excellent manual mirror for the drivers side that's just like the passenger side manual mirror. no more squirrely octopus cable!

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 08:34:59 PM »
For their price I'd expect a whole lot of extras, even an antiquated cable.

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 08:34:59 PM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-4