Author Topic: Rochester Cigarette lighter exploded view.....heating element replacement  (Read 219 times)

glhx

• Active Forum Member
I broke this trying to understand how it comes apart. It was blowing the fuse anyway and had continuity between the inner ring and outer ring that was creating a dead short. This piece was trash but might have been able to be repaired. At this point I will just plug it back in to the housing and disconnected in the back (HOT WIRE) until I get a new one.

Here is the exploded view of it. If you decide to buy the whole silver tip. You have to unscrew the inner ring first.....and then pull the silver tip out.....do not twist it or the plastic that holds it in will break.

If you decide to buy just the element.....just unscrew it out and put the new one in. Hopefully it will work.

For mine....I don’t think it can and the plastic is broken anyway.

Look at the silver ring. The splines on it are stretched upward. This allows the ring to spin. If you press these back down the should match the spline again.
As you can see.....the knob with the fire emblem.....just splines right on there. It was not too difficult to pull off or put back on. It is a little tight. As it should be to stay on there

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 06:58:47 PM by glhx »

glhx

• Active Forum Member
When you buy the whole piece.....it comes like this.
You will still have to unscrew the inner ring from the outer ring. There are pictures above of unscrewing the inner element out of this housing.

This will fit the 79 Trans Am cigarette lighter and comes as one piece. As I said before. You have to take the inner element ring out of the housing. Then PUSH the metal housing into the plastic.
Then screw the element into the plastic piece. There’s pictures above of the plastic threads.

I couldn’t find anything anywhere on how to repair these or even take them apart

Here is just the element that you unscrew. This replacement comes with a ceramic piece instead of a metal one

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:17:18 PM by glhx »

glhx

• Active Forum Member
So now this leads me to the next question.
Since we can take all of this apart and we know how.

Can we just buy this part??
Take the splined knob off of our old broken one??

And repair it instead of replacing it.
I will buy one of these and find out.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:06:31 PM by glhx »

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
Just get a correct repro Firebird lighter. Not only does it work, although no one would care these days, it looks correct and new in dash. I wouldn't count on them coming apart for servicing, just replacement.