Author Topic: no brake lights or rear turn signals, brake lights light up with parking lights  (Read 207 times)

Fullforce

• Active Forum Member
I duno whats going on with this thing!
The front turn signals work fine, NO rear turn signals at all.
When I turn the parking lights on the brake lights light up and will not go off.

Might be something simple but I have no diagram, id like to just rewire the whole car one day but for now I really need brake lights and turn signals atleast lol

quizkid32

• Forum Member
Check all of your grounding points. I had the same issue and ended up splicing in a new ground wire at the taillight harness in the trunk. Worked like a champ.

Fullforce

• Active Forum Member
Checked ground wire in trunk, if I remove it the lights wont come on at all, cleaned connection and put it back on.
Still have brake lights coming on with parking lights.
and no brake lights with the pedal or turn signals to the rear

thanks though there may be another ground somewhere else though

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
No, just one ground wire.  You are probably okay there.

The phrase "brake lights come on with park lights" is one we don't hear much, because nobody would ever actually notice that.  If the brake lights come on full brightness with the park lights, somebody could have revised the wiring, damaged the sockets, or the bulbs may be installed upside down.  You could imagine having them installed a quarter turn off, but if neither pin is latched in they probably wouldn't stay in.

That socket has to work properly and it is not a precision instrument.  I might remove the bulb but mostly I trouble shoot with a volt meter or test light.  I would really want to know exactly where power is coming from.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

Fullforce

• Active Forum Member
One thing to note is I recently replace the tail lights housing and all including a NEW trunk harness about 6 months ago. I checked those connections but I will check the bulbs/sockets maybe something is toutching in there but yes the BRAKE lights are defiantly on just by turning on the parking lights all 4 of them.

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
When you say "on" do you mean "bright?"

They're supposed to be on.  The lights differ, but with the taillights on everything back there should be about the same brightness.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:11:22 PM by firebirdparts »
Joe Bays
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1970 Datsun Pickup
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

Fullforce

• Active Forum Member
There defiantly on BRIGHT! brake lights! I pulled the bulbs from the housing and both filaments are lit up on all 4 lights.
They were working perfectly fine when I installed the new harness and housings. really no way to mess that up as it just plugs in.

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
Well, I guess probe the socket and see if you have power coming in on two wires.  It shouldn't be.  if they're bright then you don't have a back feed situation.
Joe Bays
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1970 Datsun Pickup
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

Fullforce

• Active Forum Member