Author Topic: QA1's are sqeeeeeeaky! (solved)  (Read 227 times)

duffinatur

• Active Forum Member
QA1's are sqeeeeeeaky! (solved)
« on: June 26, 2018, 11:09:53 PM »
Just installed my QA1's and within 5 minutes they both developed the squeak from he**. I went back over my entire install
and found nothing loose or missing. I'm hesitant to spray any lubricant, it's too hard to clean off the unwanted areas, but I
don't think that would be a permanent solution anyway.
Anyone else have this problem?
Unlubed bottom mount? (bushing)
Did I need to lube the shock top mount?
Could the springs themselves be squeaking against the shock body? (I used anti-seize) or the adjusting surface?
I didn't use an isolater on the top of the spring in the pocket, but there weren't any there when I took off the old springs.
(I've seen where a split rubber piece on top of the springs can help as an isolating surface.

Anyone have any advice?
Thanks
20180624_155935 by Elwood Duffey, on Flickr
20180624_160024 by Elwood Duffey, on Flickr

riding high a few weeks ago:
1st official drive by Elwood Duffey, on Flickr
as of today, after adjusting:
20180626_203539-1 by Elwood Duffey, on Flickr

« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 01:29:54 AM by duffinatur »
76 Pontiac TA (long gone, first car)
69 Cadillac Eldorado (long gone)
00 HD Road King Classic
65 Pontiac GTO (gone, not forgotten)
67 Shelby AC Cobra replica (gone, winning shows still)
76 Trans Am LS1/4A TA (a recreation of my very first car)
74 Olds Cutlass Supr (status: on hold)
69 Pontiac Grand Prix (frame-off beginning soon)
Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=57079.0

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
Re: QA1's are sqeeeeeeaky!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 08:50:33 AM »
Did you buy those on your own without professional advice?
To answer your question, it's the poly bushing on the bottom, but even if it is not the source of the squeak it's a bad idea, 1000-2000 lbs of load on less than 1 sq/in those bushings tear.

But a couple of the things you mention can also cause the squeak.
Coil spring in the top pocket, but this takes time for the metal on metal to wear together, and in this case the coils are powder coated so it will take more than 5 min.
Top coil isolators were not used on all cars but they can help.
the coil on shock will not squeak due to the lower spring seat being aluminum.

Yes I will use this post to promote PTFB and hopefully same someone from wasting their money.
PTFB sells Viking coil overs with bearings not bushings, we also provide the correct spring rate for these cars because the front end weight is not the only thing to take into consideration, front suspension motion ratio roll center and wheel rate has to be taken into account as well as rear spring rate and application.

I understand many may think I'm often negative but the results of buying a product based on advertisement and "general" guidelines  are as you see here, I'm a VERY busy man but a phone call, a post, an email, I'm always willing to help an enthusiast make a good decision that is effective and wallet friendly even when they don't buy from PTFB.

Thank you
Dave
www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

duffinatur

• Active Forum Member
Re: QA1's are sqeeeeeeaky!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 01:26:06 AM »
Thanks for your response, Dave. I did have some advice from a well trusted builder. ...but I seriously had my doubts when the squeaking developed so fast. You were to be my next call, but I burned an overnite last night (and smacked my forehead repeatedly when I realized what was the cause). It turns out this one was all me. I severely misinterpreted something I was told. It didn't sound right when I was instructed, but it turns out he was perfectly correct and I completely misunderstood in the most amateurish way possible. I'm actually quite embarrassed.
It was the top shock mount nut; just ever so slightly too loose.  So I tightened it down beyond what I thought was "tight"  even though I thought I already had it fully seated.  It was one of those "what could it hurt" thoughts. Boom. squeaks completely gone. I've also added a 2nd nut to lock, in case it worked itself loose.

I appreciate your answering and offering advice when I've gathered you're not much of a fan of QA1's. I chose them for this car,
and budgeted for them for this build when I started it, but they're not what the car will end up with. I considered switching to PTFB or Vikings but I've used the QA1's before with success and I had a longer plan for them, at least this last set. The 400# set I have will end up on another car eventually so they fall within spec of each car even if on opposite sides of the spectrum.
They just get me where I need to be until I can get to a better front end system in whole. (still might be a while). I've used them in my
last few builds but those were light cars(shelby cobra and an MG).
I machined 5/16"thick SS rings that set in the bottom spring pocket to distribute the weight better from the two mounting bolts. I can see the design flaw in how the bottom of the shock is mounted so hopefully the rings help with the weight distribution, but that is more
for the factory arm.

I have your Pro G braces (and someones frame connectors) waiting to be installed next to tighten up the body flex, but I need a little help getting the hood off and when I work on the car is usually when everyone else is asleep.  Whenever I can get to Phase II of this build (full front susp, Hydroboost, maybe rack and pinion), I have already decided, based on your reputation, to contact you, but I won't waste your time until I have it in my build budget. That's solely based on TAC and the amount of help I've seen you offer as I read through comments.
Again, Thanks.
00 HD Road King Classic

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
Re: QA1's are sqeeeeeeaky! (solved)
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 07:58:05 AM »
No problem, glad you found the problem, yes that top bushing washer can rub against the upper A-arm mount and cause a squeak.
Don't get me wrong QA1s are what they are but I do prefer the Vikings just because they are a better value, double adjustment is standard.
As far as the lower A-arm load adding a stiffening ring strengthens the A-arm mounting but I was referring to the load on the bushing itself at the bottom of the shock.

Thank you for your business  :-D
www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

duffinatur

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 09:30:57 PM »
Got those Pro G Braces installed and they are AMAZING. First test drive was like a different car.
I will recommend these to everyone. I also have a few detail questions about them. will send you a PM
20180702_213610 by Elwood Duffey, on Flickr
00 HD Road King Classic

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 09:30:57 PM »