Author Topic: Body Bushings  (Read 235 times)

bert78

• Forum Member
Body Bushings
« on: June 12, 2018, 02:32:22 PM »
Hi All,

I just picked up my '78 Trans Am yesterday. I had a blast driving it home from Iowa.

The first thing I'm going to do is replace the body bushings. There's already an existing thread that's 2 years old. I don't want to stir up the solid/vs non-solid bushings. I'm going with solid of course.

Does anybody have any recent experience with new bushings. I've been looking at the Pro Touring F Body (PTFB) and the Global West suspension kits. They both look pretty decent. What I'm wondering is there any other brands that you'd recommend?

----
Thanks from Indianapolis - Race Capital of EVERYWHERE
Indianapolis, IN - Race Capital of EVERYWHERE!

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Body Bushings
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 05:36:30 PM »
I've installed several different brands in various 2nd gens and prefer the PTFB ones because of the strength of the steel inner sleeve design in the event of an accident. You may want a certain appearance depending how detailed the underside of your car is. The aluminum bushings are tumble finished and they're not painted or powder coated fancy like some of the other brands. I paint them and/or clear coat them depending on the car they're going on. I've found clear coating keeps the plated finish on suspension and other chassis parts looking nice for a long time. The bushings I usually spray black, clear, or body color depending on the car and how detailed the underside is or will be.

John Paige
Lab-14.com

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 04:31:44 PM »
I have used both that you mentioned I too prefer the PTFB they are pretty straight forward to install as long as the old ones come out easily. If the old ones are frozen up they maybe somewhat troublesome. While your doing the upgrade you may want to look at subframe connectors also they will definitely make a difference.

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 08:05:21 PM »
I also recommend the PTFB bushings and getting some PTFB subframe connectors while you’re at it as well.
Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop L78
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 07:51:12 AM »
Ditto ^^^
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)