Author Topic: Broken remote mirror cable  (Read 635 times)

glhx

• Active Forum Member
Broken remote mirror cable
« on: June 08, 2018, 05:58:57 PM »
There is a spring in the area under the toggle switch. It seems like it should compress, but it’s frozen.

Two of the cables are broken and one is cracked where they connect to the toggle switch.

I do t need this mirror to move. If I thought I could just jab weld it in place I would.....for now.

I would like to pick up a new or used mirror cable.
Has anyone fixed theirs to work correctly or know where a replacement can be purchased. I only need the cable

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Broken remote mirror cable
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 09:47:16 PM »
Any sort of damage to the cable assembly means that part is junk. But it depends on the type of mirror head casting if it can be swapped out with just the inners or not. Some have a larger clearance hole and others were all part of the one assembly. The cable is part of the mirror glass assembly, just depends if you can even remove it from the housing or not.

In the first pic you can see the cable remote end will pass through the mirror head hole, the second it has been assembled with casting as part of cable. Naturally, if cable if no good it can be cut but mirror glass will also have to be replaced, then a larger clearance hole created for new cable, and the heads are so common you wouldn't even try.

20180214_210512 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

20180214_210358 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 09:50:17 PM by Aus78Formula »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 08:03:34 AM »
Guess they didn't like the answer. I was gonna reply that it would be easier to replace they are pretty easy to find, I think I even have 3 or 4 of them laying around.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 10:27:43 AM »
It is good info and a great answer.  I used this info when I took mine apart. I appreciated the post. Weird replying to yourself though.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when your'e Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 01:30:39 PM »
When they are removed also make note how they are indexed. When you take them apart and then reassemble them make sure the adjustment knob is installed so up is up , down is down, left and right is correct. It is easy to get it backwards.
Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 01:30:39 PM »

nigel

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 04:01:48 PM »
I restored mine but I have a lathe and made up some brass ferrils and re crimped the ends of the control wires, I did purchase a replacement but was not happy with it,was very light  and not a good replacement It can be done but is not a quick job took mine back to bare aluminium and removed all the flashing and mated the bracket to pod so it fitted perfectly, had them painted separately then reassembled them am now very happy with them and the drivers one works a charm worth doing if you have the patience and time.

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 06:49:37 PM »
It is good info and a great answer.  I used this info when I took mine apart. I appreciated the post. Weird replying to yourself though.

Yet another time he posts a snide comment then deletes it
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

Wallington

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 10:38:05 PM »
It wasn't snide, thank you. I'd post with my actual correct profile if Firebirdparts didn't block my log in. You'd be annoyed too if you actually tried to assist people with replies instead of just looking after yourself. I filled up my first photobucket album before they got greedy, and it wasn't from posting pics that helped me in anyway.  I removed it because yes, it came across weird.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:45:35 PM by Wallington »

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 09:10:43 AM »
That’s your opinion. As far as your login, you asked them to delete your account. Blocking your login was the alternative so I’m not sure what you’re complaining about with regard to that. And if your so annoyed with people for ignoring you quit helping. Stop trying to be a victim or a martyr. Help if you want. For the right reasons. I’m sure someone finds it helpful even if they don’t take the time to reply. If not then quit. You can’t have it both ways.

And with regard to “If you actually tried to assist people with replies instead of just looking after yourself...”
I help when I can. I’m sorry im not a restoration expert. But I offer my opinion or my limited experience/knowledge when I can. Short of that I doubt throwing out guesses to answer other people’s questions is the preferred response. That’d just lead you to one more thing to complain about. That said, I don’t need to justify my existence here nor do I need others to justify it for me.. I’m just here to hang out and talk about cars.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

Wallington

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 07:24:59 PM »
No, I wanted the content removed and made that clear.

JJ 109

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 08:08:48 AM »
I attempted to eliminate the remote control.  I got new interior trim panels without the hole and I liked the clean look.  Figured I can always roll window down and adjust it if needed.

I cut off the control cables and attempted to wire them together to fix the position.

Unfortunately It still moves around, so not too happy with it.  Wish I could find a fixed setup like the passenger side.
JJ
76 pro tour project
Twin Turbo LS1
Detroit

JJ 109

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 10:05:45 AM »
Found these, but that price is outrageous.

https://anvilauto.com/gm-bullet-mirror-glass.html
JJ
76 pro tour project
Twin Turbo LS1
Detroit

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 10:05:45 AM »
You can help support TAC!