Author Topic: Whirring/whining at low speeds - 02 T/A  (Read 290 times)

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
Whirring/whining at low speeds - 02 T/A
« on: June 04, 2018, 11:45:19 AM »
'02 WS6 - auto - 51k  The past few times I've taken it out I hear a whirring/whining sound when I'm turning or moving at slower speeds (~20 mph).  Sounds like it might be the rear end.or the transmission.   The noise is probably there at higher speeds but it's not as noticeable over the Loudmouth II exhaust and with the top down.

I took it for a 40 minute drive the other day.  Ran/sounded fine the whole time except when I got close to home and traveled down some side streets I could hear a distinct whirring noise.  It's much more apparent after driving for a while as opposed to starting out cold.  I checked tranny fluid and it was full and looked ok.

I understand these cars have some issues with the rear end suggestions on how I should investigate? 
I don't have access to a lift so I'd likely take it to my mechanic and have him take a look.
Steve D
'76 LE 455/4speed/solid roof - SOLD
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Whirring/whining at low speeds - 02 T/A
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 07:30:59 AM »
I figured I'd bump this topic.  Anyone know a shop in the Boston area for looking at the rear in this car?  I understand that 4th generation rears have a tendency to start making noise with age/use so it's not an atypical problem. 

Anyone got experience with this and have a recommended long-term fix?

Thanks
Steve D
'76 LE 455/4speed/solid roof - SOLD
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 11:29:42 AM »
Are you sure it's not the power steering pump? Every GM vehicle we have owned made a whining sound which was from the steering pump.
If that's not the problem take it to Penta Auto, they have an old timer there that can fix it.

Regards, Jack

Paul Kenney

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 10:21:00 AM »
My last 02 WS6 did the same thing....as did a friend's. Both were 50-60k mile cars. He replaced the axle bearings and it was quiet for the next 10-15k miles then started again. I just lived with mine until it was sold. My current 02 WS6 has 17k miles and is quiet....so far.
79 T/A SE W72
02 T/A WS6

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • (>*.*)>#<(*.*<)
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 02:11:06 AM »
Is the noise correlated to wheel speed or engine speed?  Next time it happens try going from third to fourth or second to third to see if that changes the sound any.  TorSen/helical differentials will make a squeaking/moaning noise in low speed turns some times if the fluid is broken down and or needing friction modifiers.  If the fluid hasn't been changed that you know of I'd definitely do that first.

1996 Pontiac Firebird Formula hardtop 6-speed

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 02:11:06 AM »