Author Topic: Forgive me - Knight Rider...  (Read 2352 times)

jcwillia1

• Active Forum Member
Re: Forgive me - Knight Rider...
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2018, 03:49:47 AM »
If prepared to spend very little then prepare for many potential issues, this may not be a problem if you know what you are likely to get, just part of buying a car.
Maybe this could be moved to the correct forum, 40 replies..wow.

sorry this started off as one thing and has morphed into something else.  As for 40 replies, I have a thread for my home theater on AVS with 1200 replies (over 5 years) so... :)

This is an edited conversation with a guy in Michigan - I can't for the life of me figure out why you would pull apart the mechanicals of a car after you decide to sell it.  He's asking for $2800 for a remodeled 93.  It's a 2 hour drive from my house.

Me : I don't understand your price.  (edited)
WED 6:20AM
Seller : That's not the way I took the pictures the car was repainted. It's the first year they made the f body which makes it a classic this year. The rims were repainted. The whole car was restored. On the interior to a half black half grey interior. Not missing a single piece.  Even the trunk shade. It has a Brand new 800$ center console in it because I didn't want one with seatbelt scuffs on it. The whole car was restored I'm a f body enthusiast. So if your another person trying to get a hell of a deal because they don't have big boy money keep on looking
Me : Interested
THU 7:14PM
Seller : We'll see what I can come up with I have the driveshaft out right now because I just had it rebalanced so if I can get it back in before then I'll let you know
Seller : I'll do it in the next couple days and get back to you,

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2018, 08:22:32 PM »
People get PPI's all the time. There's cars changing hands and being shipped around the country every day with a LOT more money involved than the purchase you're considering. The buyer doesn't see anything more than pictures till the car arrives. I've bought cars in other states without seeing them in person based on inspections and then picked them up later. I've also sold cars to distant buyers who sent inspectors or asked me to take the car to a shop for inspection. I'm sure others here have done the same things. Which leads me to.........

Why don't you start a new thread "Want to buy 93-94 base model Firebird". There's a lot of knowledgeable Firebird folks here, some have cars they'd sell, some who know of cars for sale, some may see base model cars that would be perfect for you while they're looking for performance models. Some might just check their local Craigs List for you. In any case this thread isn't really helping you find a car now that you've narrowed down what you're looking for. MANY more people will read a "wanted" thread.

Maybe a fly & drive to the southwest would get the wife on board. Las Vegas for a weekend and drive back the new toy?  Here's one. Nice neighborhood, garage, priced in your range, kinda high miles though. https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/d/firebird-1994-original/6610156641.html  Probably get the car for 1800-2000 but I'd spend a bit more for one with better paint/lower miles.  The search is half the fun, don't rush, it'll come to you.
John Paige
Lab-14.com

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2018, 08:35:45 PM »

This is an edited conversation with a guy in Michigan - I can't for the life of me figure out why you would pull apart the mechanicals of a car after you decide to sell it.  He's asking for $2800 for a remodeled 93.  It's a 2 hour drive from my house.

Me : I don't understand your price.  (edited)
WED 6:20AM
Seller : That's not the way I took the pictures the car was repainted. It's the first year they made the f body which makes it a classic this year. The rims were repainted. The whole car was restored. On the interior to a half black half grey interior. Not missing a single piece.  Even the trunk shade. It has a Brand new 800$ center console in it because I didn't want one with seatbelt scuffs on it. The whole car was restored I'm a f body enthusiast. So if your another person trying to get a hell of a deal because they don't have big boy money keep on looking
Me : Interested
THU 7:14PM
Seller : We'll see what I can come up with I have the driveshaft out right now because I just had it rebalanced so if I can get it back in before then I'll let you know
Seller : I'll do it in the next couple days and get back to you,

I'd pass on that car. IF he was an F body enthusiast who restored cars he'd know the 93 was NOT the first F body. If he thinks a 2,800.00 car is "big boy money" well......... Sounds like he used a parts car to fix the interior so now it's grey & black because the parts car had a different color interior. So did he have a parts car to repair body damage before it was painted? Did he offer any before paint pics? The driveshaft balance thing is probably because he's chasing a vibration he's trying to fix. Once balanced when new, driveshafts on stock vehicles very rarely ever need to be re-balanced unless bad things have happened.
John Paige
Lab-14.com

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2018, 08:40:27 PM »
what I was trying to say was that the car, any car, for say, 2000 vs the same car for 3000, may have more than 1000 worth of repairs to be at same condition, and so on. This is obviously expected with cheaper cars, and older cars, but sometimes it's worth spending more than initial price as you'll end up ahead anyway. You just need to know what the issues are, and which are problems you are happy to live with. A more expensive with good paint can be a better deal as you'll easily spend many thousands if you plan to repaint, whereas mechanical can be one component at a time. Likewise, you can drive and live with a tired looking paint and panel car, but some mechanical issues will stop you driving sooner or later if ignored.

jcwillia1

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2018, 07:18:06 AM »

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2018, 07:18:06 AM »

jcwillia1

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2018, 10:31:39 AM »
Thanks to all for the help - Finally found one.  got lucky - wife found a pretty great mechanic in the town where the car was and they tested it for me before I bought it.

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/35118951_10155839402119480_5253849943474438144_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=eac2e179297a39d198859bcca1de2d4c&oe=5BA45199
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 10:35:17 AM by jcwillia1 »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2018, 01:28:47 PM »
Congrats on your new car. Smart move having a mechanic check things out.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter