Author Topic: STO N SHO License plate bracket  (Read 227 times)

Jeremy

• Active Forum Member
STO N SHO License plate bracket
« on: May 19, 2018, 02:38:42 PM »
Missouri is a two plate state and finding a factory firebird license plate bracket for a 1994 FireHawk has been in successful.

I stumbled across STO N SHO but they didn't have anything listed for a 93-97 Firebird but they did for a Camaro of the same years.  From the pictures on their website it looked like it might be close enough so I ordered one.  When I received the parts I was pleased with the quality however the mounting arms were too short unless I mounted the bracket right up to the edge of the nose.  I wanted to mount it back parallel to a line in the bumper.

I called STO N SHO and they were amazing to deal with.  The rep I spoke with seemed to care about my problem and the desire to not cobble something together.  We spent a few minutes on the phone discussing options and within 20 minutes they had parts boxed and ready to ship.

I received the replacement parts today and got everything mounted.  They sent me a bracket with extra long arms and no mounting slot in the arms so I could place the bracket where I wanted.  In a perfect world I would say the arms stick out too far in the rear of the block but you can't see it with the car on the ground.  The longer arms also make it easier to re install the bracket without having to crawl on the ground.

I included some pics.  Great company to deal with and I'm pleased with the final results.  I left a little space between the top of the license plate and the nose so that air resistance can't push it into the tip of the nose and cause a rub mark.  I also added some rubber hose to the arms to cause a tight fit underneath to help keep it from deflecting.

I'll be discussing my results with STO N SHO so they can have the information should anyone else need a custom bracket.

IMG_2427 by Jeremy Martens, on Flickr

IMG_2425 by Jeremy Martens, on Flickr

IMG_2426 by Jeremy Martens, on Flickr

IMG_2426 by Jeremy Martens, on Flickr

IMG_2430 by Jeremy Martens, on Flickr

IMG_2429 by Jeremy Martens, on Flickr

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: STO N SHO License plate bracket
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 04:14:38 PM »
I like that bracket. I could've used that on my 77. I ended up just screwing it right to the bumper cover! (there were already holes there).
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 05:00:58 PM »
I though it was some kind of a hide away bracket that flipped down and retracted. So is it that hard to find an OEM one?

Regards, Jack

Jeremy

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 07:38:27 PM »
It would be nice if it flipped down and retracted, but it doesn't.  It's got a spring loaded pin that catches a notch.  Makes it easy to remove for shows or cleaning.

I checked every search engine I could find and ebay and never came up with a factory bracket, new or used.

Real pleased with the bracket but blown away how the company would help me come up with something that worked.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 09:00:53 AM »
I like what you used and its water under the bridge now, but did you try a gm dealer for nos tag bracket?
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter