Author Topic: 670 Steering Box install with other issues on '79  (Read 405 times)

formula jg

• Active Forum Member
670 Steering Box install with other issues on '79
« on: April 15, 2018, 10:06:16 AM »
Along with the new steering box I'm replacing line hoses and complete rag joint (RJ).

It appeared the original RJ required 2 rivet heads to be ground off in order to remove it and then install the new one with 2 supplied bolts for securing it to the original shaft.  I figured it be easier if the shaft was removed and did the work on a bench so pried the old RJ away from the steering box and removed a single bolt located at the upper section of the shaft near the firewall but the shaft would not come off.

This is were I should have stopped instead I removed this:

Intermediate Shaft connection

From here:

Intermediate Shaft connection

The shaft still would not come off but now I can't find a way to squeeze the assembly together enough to put the C-clip back on, is there a trick to this?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 12:14:52 PM by formula jg »

Dandy77

• Active Forum Member
Re: 670 Steering Box install with other issues.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 12:10:27 PM »
What year is your car.?
The easiest would be to disconnect the steering shaft from the steering column by removing the upper single bolt as you did and pushing the shaft together. Then you have to pull/hold the knurled part of the column and slide the white part shown in your second picture back into the metal tube. It fits only one way. After you are done with this you take the round metal cap and slide it over the steering column assembly and fit the c-clip in your first picture onto the steering column.
I don’t understand why you have to grind two rivet heads of to remove the RJ.

formula jg

• Active Forum Member
Re: 670 Steering Box install with other issues on '79
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 12:32:01 PM »
I revised the subject line with the year, thanks for pointing that out.

The white cam (no sure what it's technically called) and round metal cover that the C-clip holds is all spring loaded and just can't squeeze the 2 enough to get the C-clip back on.

"I don’t understand why you have to grind two rivet heads of to remove the RJ."

I don't see any other way to completely remove the RJ from the intermediate steering shaft but to grind the rivets:

Original Rag Joint
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 02:20:44 PM by formula jg »

Gold member

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 01:55:42 PM »
I have done the same thing to my 79 .Ever think of just changing the complete shaft .

http://www.firebirdcentral.com/1978_1992_Firebird_Steering_Column_Shaft_p/ste-177.htm
1979 Gold Bird
original paint and decals motor and trans   solid body mounts   frame connectors  full suspension overhaul  255/50/17 Nitto tires and YO snowflakes .  
Jim

formula jg

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 02:08:09 PM »
The shaft and rubber boot are in good condition, heck even the RJ is good and only changing it because I’m there replacing the steering box. Even if I were to switch out the entire shaft assembly I’m still left trying to get that C-clip back on.

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 02:08:09 PM »

formula jg

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 10:29:02 AM »
I managed to get the clip on by using the reverse lock-out lever located just behind this plastic bearing cover plate assembly (can just see it the pic of my 1st post).  Managed to wrap a couple of fingers around the reverse lever which gave me some leverage to squeeze the assembly enough to get the clip into the cover plate slots. With a complete engine bay this was a royal pain to deal with.

Now I'm struggling with removal of the intermediate steering shaft. Is there anything that needs to be removed other than the rag joint and single bolt located near the top of this shaft in order to pull it out because I did that and it's not sliding off?

formula jg

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 04:34:53 PM »
Ended up leaving the intermediate shaft in place and used a right angle drill to remove the rag joints rivets, no problem.

The steering box bolts were worn badly and one snapped on me, is the pitch 7/16-14?

What is the shank diameter?

What is the torq spec. for these?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 05:00:15 PM by formula jg »

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 04:34:53 PM »
You can help support TAC!