Author Topic: 4th Gen General Questions  (Read 483 times)

Jeremy

• Active Forum Member
4th Gen General Questions
« on: April 07, 2018, 04:09:32 PM »
I'm kicking around the idea of getting a 4th gen Trans Am or Formula.  Are there any years to avoid?  I like the 96-97 but would image the LS is a better motor if I go with a later model.  I'm trying to look at relatively low mileage cars.  Any common problems to look for?

Seems to be some decent deals out there on Firehawks.

Thanks for any opinions.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: 4th Gen General Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 04:41:41 PM »
Watch the door hinges, they can rip out of the doors and they can create leaks at the T tops. Went through a few doors trying to find a good one for a friend's car.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Warren Seale

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 09:18:18 AM »
I'm the original owner of my 96 WS6 with 46000 miles.  There is nothing wrong with the LT1 cars.  I believe the bad hype about the Optispark is just that.  Although I had to replace mine at 39000 miles because the optical sensor died.  However, it appears that this is not a common problem. 

When I replaced the power window motors I noticed that the mounting points on the door were cracked.  I used large fender washers to reinforce those areas and that has worked out well. 

The WS6 cars were converted for GM by SLP.  They installed the hood and were responsible for the paint on the hood.  After about 4 years the paint on the hood began to show signs of clear coat rash. 

The vinyl molding around the front and rear glass deteriorates and begins to get sticky.  Mine have not cracked so far.

If you have to replace any bulbs in the dash the bezel will need to be removed.  You can count on the attaching pins to break off when removing the bezel.   It only needs a few to hold it in place so if one or two break it is not a lost cause.  There is no reproduction bezel currently being made.

The LT1 cars do not appear to have the cracking issue at the top of the interior door panel like the LS1 cars have.

Piston slap is a common problem when the engine is cold.  But after a few minutes of warming up that goes away.  It is not a reliability problem.

My car was driven daily for 10 years but has been retired from service since then.  It gets driven a couple times a month to keep things moving.  Overall it has been a good car.

Warren
79 T/A,WS6,403,A3
96 T/A,WS6(#1344),M6
72 442,W30,A3
96 Vette Grand Sport convertible,F45,LT4,M6
06 Vette convertible,Z51,M6

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 10:20:14 AM »
I know next to nothing about 4th gens, but if I were to buy one, I would def. get a firehawk if available.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 11:23:19 AM »
I drive my ‘98 LS1 as a daily driver.  They’re good cars but with 4th gens now becoming 20+ years old, there will just be inherent issues like any car that ages.  Just be prepared to wrench if you get one.

One major piece of advice that I will give you is buy it for yourself and don’t expect it to sell for any sort of profit.  The TAC community may like these cars but if you go on 4th gen pages such as what’s found on Facebook, you’ll see how cheap and unappreciative many owners and enthusiasts are.  Most of them think any LS1 car is only worth $3-$4k...special editions and low mileage for $9-$10k.  Then most dudes post pictures and discuss the gas tank “trap door” mod.  It’s quite pathetic if you go there and ask these types of questions on those pages.

Be forewarned haha,

Jon
1979 Trans Am 400 T-top - Platinum Silver, Carmine Interior
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61460.0

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 11:23:19 AM »

Jeremy

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 06:11:12 PM »
I did pick up the Firehawk this weekend.  Not looking at it as an investment.  I always liked the 93-94 Firehawks since my first magazine article.

I may let my son drive it when he turns 16 if he gets into cars.  I posted in the Lobby about the car.

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 06:11:12 PM »
You can help support TAC!