Author Topic: Kauffman Northwind Intake  (Read 734 times)

linksman

• Active Forum Member
      • Toronto Trans Ams
Kauffman Northwind Intake
« on: March 18, 2018, 02:39:59 PM »
I purchased a Kauffman NorthWind and could not be more disappointed by the quality of the machine work. It was supposed to be RAIV port matched but every port is a disaster. It had also been dropped on one corner (dinged) and will need to be repaired.

Every port divider is way too narrow, misshaped, and has a ridge about 1 inch down the port where the CNC tool stopped cutting. Only one side of each port received CNC machining. Each port will require hours of epoxying and re-grinding to make this intake usable and gasket matched to the supplied gasket.

Considering the state of the CAN $$, and the 3.5 hour round trip to pick it up...it was expensive.

Has anyone else purchased a Northwind recently? If so, how was the quality of the port match?

I have contacted Kauffman's, but it has only been a day (and it is the weekend after all), so I hope he makes it right and sends me another. I heard he is a stand-up guy.  It is hard to believe this intake could have passed quality control before it left his shop.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 05:31:07 PM by linksman »

linksman

• Active Forum Member
      • Toronto Trans Ams
Re: Kauffman Northwind Intake
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 07:21:27 AM »
Kauffman agreed the casting had shifted and offered a return. It can be repaired, however it is a bit beyond my skills to weld in new material and reshape, so I am going to go try a RPM.
FYI ...the Northwind is 1 inch taller than a stock 1970 intake.

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 11:39:14 AM »
I’ve had unpleasant port alignment on Edelbrock in the past so keep your fingers crossed there too.
1979 Trans Am 400 T-top - Platinum Silver, Carmine Interior
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61460.0

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 11:47:26 AM »
Jeeze.
It appears Factory Pontiac Castings are best yet.
Horsepower limited by airflow but everyone is on the street here.
Unless Full Danger Zone is Taken.
Race Engine.

Sheet Metal hand fabbed intakes would eliminate problems.
They are $5000-10,000 each in the Corvette Chevy world.
Hogans.

You guys do not want the China Ebay Clones.
Seen them in action on LS engines.
In the Race shop on the AWD Chassis dyno.
At 5000 rpms the cheep ultra thin aluminum bows sucks inward 3 inches topside.
Like squeezing a Soda Can.
Let off the gas it pops back to shape.
Sometimes you have smack it with a closed fist and then they pop back to shape.
POS for $400-600.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:49:18 AM by 70RAIV455 »

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 07:38:52 PM »
I think "Average Joe" should understand that racing parts need fitment. the CNC port matching that is done is just machining the gasket pattern, now it should be understood that sand castings experience core shift and this is why you would have more material removed from some parts and not others.
- Comparing GM to aftermarket is unfair because GM has VAST resources that NO small manufacturer has, especially when making parts for such a small market as Pontiac engines.
- The North wind is really a racing manifold and should be port matched to the heads as bolted to the engine in their FINAL installation, this means heads must have any and all final machining done to the deck and intake side, installed with the head gasket and torqued.
- This intake would be used on an engine that would have more than a RA IV intake port size.
- The CNC porting only goes an inch in, a fully CNC ported intake would be far more expensive.
- The center divider is not overly thin from the pictures, thinning the center divider is in many cases the only way to increase cross sectional are of the port entry due to the push rod bulge on the opposite side.
- The miss shape is simply the core parting line pretty normal.

Bottom line I feel it is standard racing fair and the engine builder needs to do the final fitment.
www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 07:38:52 PM »

olds403

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 09:51:31 PM »
CNC must have chattered.  Sorry to hear. 

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 06:37:29 AM »
CNC must have chattered.  Sorry to hear.

I see no sign of tool chatter
www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 06:37:29 AM »
You can help support TAC!