Author Topic: Sbo Thornton shorties  (Read 3317 times)

olds403

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Sbo Thornton shorties
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2019, 09:17:08 AM »
We have a set, but my brother has not put his motor in his car yet.  We have only used the thorton w/z small block manifolds.  Hands down those really clean up the under belly.  As for performance, doubt any difference although installing full lenght headers in the trans am with olds motor sucks....

lugnuts

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Wheaton, IL
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2019, 06:16:21 PM »
So I am getting ready to install my motor and started installing the Thornton shorty headers and I will say these need to be installed on the motor OUT of the car. there is no way you will get the driver side on if the engine is in the car. the second bolt from the rear is almost impossible to get in and if the engine is in the car you wont get it in. I'm not even sure how I would ever get that bolt out after its been on the engine for a while. its just so tight its hard to get a wrench on the bolt so once it is rusty and has a bunch of heat cycles the only way I see of getting it off is to cut a section of tube off and then you can get a ratchet on it.
Check out the progress of my restoration on my YouTube Channel. Click here: TheOriginalLugnuts (Updated Weekly)

" daddy my hat blew off, I hope your darn head was in it"

olds403

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2019, 08:56:33 PM »
Probably not worse then a set of headers.  I ran Hooker Super Comps in the 80's on mine

lugnuts

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Wheaton, IL
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2019, 11:29:38 PM »
Probably not worse then a set of headers.  I ran Hooker Super Comps in the 80's on mine

they are worse. the second bolt from the back is completely blocked by the tubes. you can just get a wrench in there and the movement is minimal. I don't see being able to remove these after they've been on there for a period of time. to access that bolt with a socket would requre removing a section of two pipes.

I will say they do look nice and other than the one bolt the clearance is decent.
Check out the progress of my restoration on my YouTube Channel. Click here: TheOriginalLugnuts (Updated Weekly)

" daddy my hat blew off, I hope your darn head was in it"

Nexus

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2019, 06:30:08 AM »
Following with much interest!!

Anyone throw a set on a 301?

Should I even bother, other than it looks cooler when you open the hood!!

I'm not looking to race anyone or break land speed records, I just want to have fun once in awhile
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(18 years and counting but still have her)

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2019, 06:30:08 AM »