Author Topic: Sbo Thornton shorties  (Read 1206 times)

sreta

• Active Forum Member
Sbo Thornton shorties
« on: February 28, 2018, 01:15:50 PM »
I found these headers on ebay, they seem like a good product. What do you guys think ?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 03:25:16 PM by sreta »

sreta

• Active Forum Member
Re: Thornton shorties
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 02:05:44 PM »
I saw them yesterday, and now I can't post a picture or link cause they all have been removed.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 02:08:38 PM by sreta »

sreta

• Active Forum Member
Re: Thornton shorties
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 02:58:12 PM »

Found em with google, but they are definitely gone. Weird.
Item description:

$299 INTRODUCTORY PRICE

These headers are designed to replace stock exhaust manifolds with no modifications needed. The starter clearance is the same as the stock exhaust manifolds.

These headers are made to replace stock exhaust manifolds and will still accept factory style exhaust systems with dual exhaust.

The primary tubes are 1 5/8” and the exit flange is best suited to fit 2 1/4” head pipes but will accept 2 1/2” head pipes.

The primary tubes are polished stainless and flanges are chrome plated steel.

Gaskets and header bolts are included

Feel free to ask questions.

Satisfaction guaranteed, returns accepted on unused, unaltered parts

Thornton Muscle Cars, Quakertown PA
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 03:24:19 PM by sreta »

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Sbo Thornton shorties
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 03:44:39 PM »
Interesting, wonder where made. There were a few outlet positions and angles so obviously not a direct swap, in most cases there wasn't a second exhaust to meet up with!

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 09:13:36 AM »

olds403

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 09:02:08 PM »
We bought them all. ????

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 01:55:13 AM »
There's tons listed now, just under different model and engine types for whoever is searching.

olds403

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 09:09:53 AM »
Will let you know how these fit

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 09:40:41 PM »
You grabbed a set, Mike?
I messaged the seller at Thornton's, very brief reply but yes, the exit points are same as their cast manifolds so will swap directly onto car already using those, plus possibly some of the factory version that match with twin pipes, and no they haven't done any power comparisons.

olds403

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 10:31:34 PM »
Yes, we are building two Trans Am’s right now.  This set is going on my brothers motor.  It’s a short block we built in the 90’s with trw forged pistons and an engle mondello 230/236 cam.  Heads are #6 race ported with a holley dominator intake.  Going to send the heads out soon for new guides and valve job.  This motor Never been fired.  I think he is ready to pull his car out of hiding.  It’s hotter than mine.  This 403 will break stuff. 

I just built him a full billet 200r4 with a dave husek covertor. 

He is a ways off from putting the motor in the car....

via3d

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 11:50:50 PM »
So which headers would be better in your opinion? 

The Thorton 359 JR manifold or these short tubes now offered?

A. I guess the big question is what the port sizes are in comparison to the 1-5/8" tubes.... 
B. Outlets or both 2-1/4 so the choke point size is the same
C. But will one flow better versuse the other?
D. I imagine the short header tubes will have more a a throaty rumble sound (material acoustics?), and the 350 JR manifold will be more quiet.... complete guessing here.
E. Cost essentially the same.
F. Looks - personally I like the tubes better...

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 12:10:31 AM by via3d »
Jason

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 12:43:52 AM »
The collector flow isn't as smooth as a nice set of long tube headers that are also tuned for even firing flow. Naturally these are a compromise but should flow better than the cast iron logs, which were only slightly better flowing than stock but removed the cross-over port.

Full length headers weren't a realistic option for me without lots of expense and lots of reworking due to RHD conversion, plus I liked that it looked stock under the hood but had double the power lurking. Heat under the floor is also a big problem with these cars so one way to limit that.

The new shorties are interesting though, potential to swap over or back with minimal work, although I'd be getting them coated to remove the bling effect. It depends what the stainless type is, some turn brown anyway. A mounting face pic would also be of interest as there's a fair mismatch in port shape, same as many Olds headers though. Hopefully soon, someone will have some first hand results.

Edit: Actually, there's further photos in ad that show slightly tapered ports from rectangular to round, that's better than what I thought might be there. Also, the dipstick is made to go over them. like other headers, not under like the manifolds. That can create problems during swaps, have to be extra careful not to pull it  too far to make fit. The primaries from the heads are 2.25" as per ad.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 12:54:41 AM by Aus78Formula »

olds403

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 08:56:56 PM »
Once we get them and get our motor back I will post pics.  Putting them on my car is a about 1/2 days work and gaskets. that is not in the plan.

Dr87

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 04:01:21 PM »
I put them on mine

mikebooms

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2018, 11:16:59 AM »
I put them on mine

what did you have on the car before? how was the install?

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2018, 11:16:59 AM »

Dr87

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2018, 02:12:10 PM »
I had manifolds on it. I had to jack the engine up to get them in. They fit ok but not like factory manifolds. I had to get a custom down pipe on the pass side and on the drivers side the header flange hits my z bar

via3d

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2018, 06:19:58 PM »
Headers rub, really?
Jason

lugnuts

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Wheaton, IL
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 01:01:36 PM »
interesting, I don't see them for sale on ebay right now. I wonder how they compare to the cast manifolds they sell performance wise.
" daddy my hat blew off, I hope your darn head was in it"

actual CL quote: "Ok folks, here is is the crown Jew for any Smokey & The Fan."

what the seller meant to say: "OK folks, here is the crown jewel for any Smokey and the Bandit fan"

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2018, 06:36:24 AM »
I've asked that on several groups. No one has an opinion or seems to care. If I was marketing them I'd want to know the basics, unless they offer nothing, in which case I'd advertise them just as they are now, like they know nothing of their product.

olds403

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2018, 10:19:54 PM »
We have a set and will mount them - soon as rest of motor comes together. Took 20 months to get this 403 done.  Too painful

lugnuts

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Wheaton, IL
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2018, 10:43:46 PM »
I've asked that on several groups. No one has an opinion or seems to care. If I was marketing them I'd want to know the basics, unless they offer nothing, in which case I'd advertise them just as they are now, like they know nothing of their product.
thats why I was curious, the price is the same as the cast ones. I emailed them and asked if there was any performance differences and they told me they never looked into it. seriously they make a header and didn't dyno them against their cast manifolds? I don't by it any self respecting car person would have done a side by side so my thought is there is no difference.

the only thing then is there a weight savings if so is it worth it.
" daddy my hat blew off, I hope your darn head was in it"

actual CL quote: "Ok folks, here is is the crown Jew for any Smokey & The Fan."

what the seller meant to say: "OK folks, here is the crown jewel for any Smokey and the Bandit fan"

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2018, 11:22:45 PM »
Yes, I did the same. More for curiosity than to make a purchase. I'd be wanting to know the smallest of improvements if they were my pieces, even if they were only compared to stock manifolds. So far Mike is about the only one I know who has purchased any, and the typical Olds forums are more performance based so you get no response on there while full headers exist.

olds403

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2018, 02:10:38 PM »
Will post once we get the motor in the car in the fall/winter.  It will be a few months. 

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2018, 02:10:38 PM »
You can help support TAC!