Author Topic: cRICKETS!  (Read 581 times)

Hutchman

• Active Forum Member
cRICKETS!
« on: February 14, 2018, 08:13:19 PM »
Any of you 4th Gen guys doing anything to your junk?  I'm thinking about a set of heads.  The cam in mine is too much cam fot a stock 346, so I'm thinking of buying a ste of heads with smaller chamberd to help with some bottom end torque.  It has an LS6 intake, which is a decent factory intake, but while it's apart I might as well do it right.

What's up with the rest of you all?

Hutchman

• Active Forum Member
Re: cRICKETS!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 02:59:56 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKmRkS1os7k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKmRkS1os7k</a>

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 04:05:48 PM »
Mine is just collecting dust in the garage because I can't drive it.  If not for that I was planning on doing suspension/handling work to it more than anything.  Watt's link primarily and KONI shocks being the forefront, that and bushings.  I had already put on the 17x9.5 with BFGoodrich Sport COMP-2 and that alone helped a lot.  Some C5 Corvette front brakes would also be a nice upgrade.  That and Strano sway bars, thought about springs but I wouldn't want to worsen the ride quality or lower it too much with the crappy roads here.  As far as power goes I'm content with what's there from the factory; just maybe would do headers, exhaust, cam, and tune for the sound more than anything.

1996 Pontiac Firebird Formula hardtop 6-speed

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 05:46:13 PM »
Just did a Strano brake kit on my '98 Trans Am.  Sam's kit consists of C5 Corvette rotors, UMI C5/C6 caliper conversion brackets, Wilwood Superlite calipers, and Wilwood stainless braded lines.  While I was at it, I installed some 18x9.5" wheels with BFG Comp 2 A/S tires (275/35-18) all around.

For the past month, I've been waiting to install my Hooker Blackheart stainless headers and full stainless exhaust.  A few things popped up in cost that I didn't realize initially.  For instance, I needed an EGR block-off plate for the intake and a set of header gaskets.  Those are in the mail as we speak.

I also just picked up a set of billet motor and trans mounts.  Once the kibbles and bits roll in, I can take the car in for install and dyno tune.

Strano Performance Brake Install by Jonathon Randolph, on Flickr

New wheels on the ‘98 by Jonathon Randolph, on Flickr
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 06:04:11 PM by jonathonar89 »
1979 Trans Am 400 T-top - Platinum Silver, Carmine Interior
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61460.0

Hutchman

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 09:38:22 PM »
Eventually, mine will become a straight line car.  I've never been really interested in going around corners so I would  a drag style street car.  I like the look and function of tall skinny tires on the front and tall slicks on the back.  It will have a loose front end and either a 9" or 12 bolt.  But those mods are in the future.

I've always thought the 69 Z/28 was one of the greatest cars ever built and I think this Firehawk culd be similar in function...high reving motor, simple clean lines, and no options.  Mine is a pretty rare base, base car.  A base Formula with base SLP options.

So that is the plan for mine.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 09:38:22 PM »

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 10:30:14 PM »
They're really good half mile cars, since they're as aerodynamic as a live axle car gets when it comes to an "off the shelf" offering from the factory.  Places like MWC make fabricated 9 inches, so then you get the strength but with minimal weight gain.

twisty571

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 09:56:25 AM »
Very nice Jonathan! Those 18's fill the wheel wells nicely. I just ordered some new rims & tires for mine. 18x8 & 245/40-18 tires.

Now I need to start ordering exhaust parts :)
Current:
1997 Trans Am LT-1/Auto
2005 HD Sportster 1200C
2011 Silverado Z-71

Hutchman

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 07:48:58 PM »
Twisty, your post brings up a question....  When did the term "rims" come into use.  When I was a young man we  bought "wheels" for a car.  Rims were a part of the wheel, but if you had said you were going to buy some "rims," my buddies would have looked at you like you had a 3rd eye in your forehead.

Just wondering.....?

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Jinba ittai
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 11:39:41 PM »
Hmmm, the 90's I think or maybe late 80's.  I like rim, since rim and tire=wheel in my mind.

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 11:39:41 PM »
You can help support TAC!