Author Topic: New Detroit Speed goodies for the Y88-R  (Read 2578 times)

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
New Detroit Speed goodies for the Y88-R
« on: February 12, 2018, 07:57:11 AM »
We have partnered with Detroit Speed and Engineering this year and will be running their Speed Kit II with JRi double adjustable shocks.  This kit includes coil over conversion, 700# springs, upper and lower Control arms and sway bar.  Difficult to tell from the pictures but, these are some very nice pieces, I can't really call them parts because they are so nice.  The control arms are very solid and come with Delrin bushings installed. The Upper control arms come with provisions for 1 of two different options to increase the caster and have the delrin bushings installed already.  It took all of 15 min to get the the arms installed.  I'm really excited to drive the car with the new front suspension as this system will provide for more of my tire to contact the road while at high steering angles.

It's also been great to work with Kyle Tucker of DSE and his team, they are as excited to see us run this year as my son and I are.  They have a great team of knowledgeable folks who can tell me what alignment setting to run with off the top of their head, not to mention that it's great to get Autocross settings directly from Kyle.

We have a lot of the work done to the car and are shooting to make the March 9-12 Lonestar Good Guys event but, we still have a lot to do....

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:03:23 AM by skisix38off »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: New Goodies for the Y88-R
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 08:12:44 AM »
Those are some really nice looking "parts". Let us know how they do.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

FULZGOLD

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 08:17:38 PM »
Oh yes. Yes. I definitely hate you... lol

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 08:04:29 AM »

Oh... Don't be a hater.  Come out for a ride sometime!

Updated71

• Oracle Forum Member
  • TA Addiction
Re: New Detroit Speed goodies for the Y88-R
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 06:36:54 PM »
Awesome!  Best of luck in competition.
The surgeon general never said nuthin' 'bout smokin' the competition!

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 06:36:54 PM »

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 06:48:08 PM »
Looking fancy sir.  Hopefully I can mine together soon and run with you guys in Indiana.
1979 Trans Am 400 T-top - Platinum Silver, Carmine Interior
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61460.0

FULZGOLD

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 07:56:31 PM »

Oh... Don't be a hater.  Come out for a ride sometime!

If I don’t, I’ll definitely be following your adventures this year! ????

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 08:14:10 AM »
Yeah, Y88-R!  I like that theme.  My son and I mostly just race the car, I will drive it to work every now and again just because it's a cool car and the double adjustable shocks can be softened enough to make it not jounce me around too much on the road.  If anyone is part of social media you can follow us on "y88_r.racing" on Instagram.  My son is making a youtube channel for the adventures we have as well and that will include some 'how to's' that he is calling "Y did we do that". 

The first will be of the DSE Front Speed Kit II stuff, the kit was so easy to install that it won't be much of a how to. 

We are both very excited to get the car on the road to feel the difference.  The 2 huge changes this season are the T56 transmission, from the TH350, and the DSE Front Speed Kit II. 

formula jg

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 10:01:26 AM »
I have the same DSE upper/lower control arms with their 650# springs, Koni's and their front sway bar.  I haven't been able to out power this suspension on the street it's just awesome, maybe autoX it someday, you will not be disappointed with that combo. Please post alignment specs when you get that done.

TA462

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 06:48:34 AM »
Very nice parts.  So what are you doing with your old parts??? :P  I'll be following on Instagram and watching out for your Youtube channel. 
1978 Solar Gold T-top Trans Am

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 07:44:56 AM »
Very nice parts.  So what are you doing with your old parts??? :P  I'll be following on Instagram and watching out for your Youtube channel.

Thank you- they are really nice and I can't wait to get a feel for them.

The old parts are going up for sale!  The lowers have the Global West Delrin bushings in them and new Pro-forged ball joints.  The uppers have new Tall ball joints and I have the 1.25" sway bar.

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 08:38:00 AM »
Getting further along toward getting the Y88-R back on the road.  Got the engine, T56 and headers all set in place.  Finished the custom fabbed crossmember and got the started and headers all back in!  Can I just say that I hate F-bodies and headers! 

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 10:55:56 AM »
Just real quick question.  Are you sure you want your ignition coil right where the hood closes?  It looks like the spark wire is going to be pressing against the hood. 
1979 Trans Am 400 T-top - Platinum Silver, Carmine Interior
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61460.0

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 11:07:56 AM »
Just real quick question.  Are you sure you want your ignition coil right where the hood closes?  It looks like the spark wire is going to be pressing against the hood.

I know it looks like that but, I can assure that there isn't a problem.  I have been running that way for 3 years now and I continue to check for wear or chaffing, and there is none.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 05:43:42 AM »
Looking good. What brake master cylinder is that?

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 05:43:42 AM »

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 07:05:11 PM »
Looking good. What brake master cylinder is that?

4th gen F body.   It's smaller, and lighter.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 06:31:21 AM »
Are you using 2nd gen booster or the fourth gen? Thanks for the info! How's your upgrades going?

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 12:04:46 PM »
Are you using 2nd gen booster or the fourth gen? Thanks for the info! How's your upgrades going?

I'm using a 4th gen booster as well.

All the DSE stuff is installed and it's running again.  Not moving tho, something is going on with the clutch-the pedal isn't disengaging the pressure plate and I haven't determined the problem yet...  It's killing me because I want to see what the feel of the new JRi shocks and DSE arms and sway bar...

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 01:37:09 PM »
While we didn't have the Y88-R ready to race we used the back up car - my 2002 Firehawk with LS1/T56.  It's a stock car with the 1LE set up.  I ended up placing 3rd out of 45+ cars, and my son placed 5th.  I got beat by a couple of prepped C5 Z06's with 335 tires all the way around.  Not bad for a 16 yo 116K mile GM! 

This is me driving.

https://youtu.be/hhcjJkM_fbM

And my son.

https://youtu.be/LlYCpOLR0Oo

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 07:47:27 AM »
We got the TA driving last weekend!  It was very nice to see it back on the ground and to get in the driver seat again, even if for only a short time.  However, the trans will have to come out again :x.  The stock LS1/T56 bellhousing and OEM slave cylinder cause interference, so the clutch fingers are always depressed and not allowing full clamp.  So, in 4th gear it was slipping.

To provide some background, I am using a T56 take out from a 2002 Trans Am.  I have the OEM master cylinder and pressure line, with it's goofy connections and "quick disconnect", not really quick at anything but causing frustration.  I also have a TCI "BOP to chevy" bellhousing adapter in between the Pontiac block and the T56 bellhousing.  This plate, while inexpensive, is thin and had me concerned about how much abuse it would take.  I also wonder now, if part of the massive troubles I had in getting the transmission aligned and started into the ball bearing pilot that I am using.  I mean it would take two guys and 90min to get the trans connected and we would be beat after that time.

In summary- I was trying to save some money by using the LS bellhousing with the TCI adapter plate and then using all the factory hydraulic stuff.  If you plan your project that way you will need space the transmission back further to get sufficient space for the clutch to work and there are options out there that can add space between the transmission and the bellhousing or aftermarket bellhousings out there.

I stumbled onto Weir Hot Rod Products and their solution - a custom bell housing, and hydraulics all designed to work together.  He offers a master cylinder and some brackets to mount to the subframe for the connection to the third pedal.   This kit seems expensive, at $770 for the bell housing kit, and another $150 for the master cylinder kit, the total is just over $1000.  That's pricey in my book.  But, look a Quick time Bell housing is $650 alone, no hydraulics.  The pressure line is around $100-150, and then you need a master and some way to hold it in place.  Then, on top of that for me...  I can pay around $200 for a track day and if my clutch keeps me from running my 2nd, 3rd or 4th session than I just spent a lot of money for nothing!

I'll post again when I get the Weir kit and take lots of pictures.

Lastly, for the short driving that I was able to do, the car felt great with the DSE suspension!  I was only driving through my neighborhood and was staying at or below the speed limits but, still could tell a dramatic difference in ride.  The car was very solid on the road and yet was compliant while going straight and tight while turning.  Can't wait to explore this more!

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 06:51:36 AM »
She's back together again!  And it feels great to be driving her again, what a smooth ride!  The transmission shifts very smoothly and having the extra gears is great.  I ended up not using the GM LS1 bell housing and adapter plate from TCI- the alignment for the trans input shaft to the pilot bearing wasn't good and for the brief amount of driving we did with that configuration, the pilot bearing was toasted.  I went with a Wier hot rodding products T56 conversion kit.  Their kit was well thought out and included all the bolts, hardware, lines, reservoirs, clamps, a 1" master....  All packaged up nicely and everything installed easily. This configuration aligns the T56 with the block well and it made the getting the trans in place so much more easy!  We will get some miles on and some shake down next week and then to the track!

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2018, 07:24:49 AM »
We finally made it to our first event of the season Sunday. I have been driving the car around some and felt pretty good going into the event, the venue has 50 sec courses and is a smooth surface that doesn't offer tons of grip but, something always seems to go wrong with new builds during the first few races so I couldn't predict what was going to break.  The Y88-R felt great, nice turning and gripped thru the corners like I've not experienced in this car.  The pull out of the corners was great as well!  I was very excited after my first run that I ran a 55 sec time as watching some of the other drivers/cars that are usual benchmarks were running that same pace and I wasn't pushing at all.  My son drove his first lap and came back excited about how the car grips.  After my second lap the temp kept climbing and I noticed oil burning off the headers and after my son's 2nd lap we were done for the day.  Temp's were in the 240 range and I didn't want to take any chances so I drove the car back to the paddock after letting it cool down.  When I opened the hood I noticed oil on the valley pan right under the t stat housing and oil was pooled up in the area around the distributor so I wanted to see how much oil was left - I run a qt extra...  There was some chocolate looking froth on the dip stick!  We had some friends trailer the car home and I drained to oil immediately.  There was an extra qt of liquid in the drain pan so- must be water.  Also noted that the reason for the over heat was that the radiator was low on coolant.  So, it look like I am getting the coolant pumped into the oil. 

The thing I don't understand is how I could  be ~ 2 gal short on coolant and only have 1 qt of it show up in the pan.  The oil coming out of the pan was a little thin, also was at temp, but was not chocolate shake, just felt thin.

Getting the wrenches back out!

pancho400cid

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Viva los PONCHOS!
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 06:36:15 PM »
Thanks for the updates.  I'll follow you on Instagram! 

Car and the new goodies look great.  Awesome that you're out there representin' the second gens! 

If it ain't one darn thing, it a nuther darn thing...... Keep up the great work.

Power to y'all!
1978 Trans Am - Chesterfield Brown - current project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - SOLD!

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2018, 06:52:04 AM »
I'll follow you on Instagram! 

Thanks!  I enjoy sharing our adventures, and all the woes here lately.  Follow  @gscherer78ta and Y88_r.racing

We have an Optima event at Bowling Green, KY coming up and directly from there we are headed to GridLife Midwest at Gingerman!  So looking forward to those events.  GridLife is an awesome event that really hasn't reached the Pro-Touring crowd yet but, they run from sun up to sun down with all different classes of time attack, formula drift with 14K spectators and a night life that's even crazier than the track action.

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2018, 07:06:06 AM »
Found a blown head gasket.  While the oil I pulled out of the pan didn't look bad, under the valve cover was a different story.  Cylinder #7 had a spot in the head gasket that was allowing coolant to go into an oiling hole.

Got new head gaskets and I got the mess all cleaned up and will start to put together again tonight.  Not the way I would prefer to take a car into Optima but, this time there was no other way.

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2018, 06:54:11 AM »
Got a test drive in last night after installing new head gaskets.  I'm struck by how smooth this rides now with the DSE and JRi shocks.  No problems, GOOD!  I did check the timing and it was advanced further than I set it last time, by 4 degrees.  I had it set to 28 degrees at 800rpm, with Vac advance.  So I backed that off and will keep putting miles on it....  Not very long now until we load up for NCM Optima!

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2018, 07:19:42 AM »
I thought I would post an update on this thread.  We have been through 6 track days and two drivers and several autocross events and while we continue to be plagued with engine issues, the car is running a little faster than last year and it's much easier to put the car right where I want.  Without the engine problems, timing is ~ about 4 degrees from last year and we just have't been comfortable with pushing the motor, I think we would be on the order of 1-2 seconds faster on a 50 sec course.  On the road and on track the ride is much, much better and the car is way more composed while cornering, inspires confidence.  On the hwy, this car feels better and more stable than my 2002 Firehawk.  Little undulations in the road easily accommodated by the JRi shocks where the Koni's on my Firehawk let me know about every little crack in the road surface.

We head to Columbus next week for the PPG Good Guys show where Kyle and a lot of the DSE crowd will attend and I hope to get some set up tips! 

73ta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 04:22:00 PM »
Who's stuff were you running before the swap?

skisix38off

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 07:17:45 AM »
Who's stuff were you running before the swap?

I only had a set of 750# springs and Viking Double adjustable shocks with the factory control arms and sway bar.

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 07:17:45 AM »
You can help support TAC!